Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Forma'd Warframes/weapons Experience To Count Towards Mastery Rank

TaTooKa

Getting mastery points for levelling up a weapon/frame you like = fun

Levelling up a weapon 5 separate times so that you can fit everything you want on it = not hugely fun but at least a goal to make you feel the effort is worth it

Grinding out a bunch of levels on crap gear you have no interest in and will never use because you're Mastery Rank 8+ and have already maxed everything you actually enjoy playing with = not fun, and the more you do it, the more soul-destroying it becomes.

It's really not rocket science, IMO the OP is 100% right.  In a game with a high rate of burnout for top players anyway, the devs should be looking for ways to keep the routine fresh and rewarding, not a chore with diminishing returns on your efforts.

As I ment to say in the last thread (but had a brain fart) - it's easier to relevel a forma'd weapon that it is to level 1 from scratch, as you get to put more powerfull mods in earlier. This gets "worse" with more forma, a sort of chain reaction as the weapon ends up more and more powerfull at a relatively lower level each time.

The question is, why should a player get the same mastery for each 1-30 iteration of a forma'd weapon than a player levelling a new weapon, if the forma'd weapon gets progressively easier to level each time ?

In one of the many previous versions of this thread, when I suggested a scale of mastery return that lowers on each iteration, the thread OP flamed me to such an extent that the thread was locked, rather than justify his original stance. These threads turn into flame wars so fast, high passions on both sides of the discussion I guess.

don't mistake difficulty with grinding.

I love difficulty, I think we all do. The most fun parts of this game are the most difficult: trying to survive 5 more waves in Defense to break your record (with no other reward than self satisfaction), rushing through hard missions on nightmare mode, avoiding traps while searching for secret areas in the void, etc.

Also when I unlock a new warframe or weapon I'm eager to try, taking it to level 30 is a good part of the game, I enjoy doing that.

Grind, on the other hand, is almost always boring. Blueprint farming in this game is terrible. Having to switch to less effective or boring weapons and warframes to continue improving kinda sucks. Especially when you rather be using the one you love/find most useful/have more fun with but will gain no progress by doing so.

Not because other games also base their design on grind just to add more hours of gameplay should we consider it to be a necessary evil.

I think you're confused. 

This does precisely nothing to eliminate or even reduce grind.  It simply changes grinding out new weapons and levels for new weapons for grinding out formas and repeatedly grinding out levels.  It will, however, effect difficulty, as in this proposed revision, the weapons that will universally be chosen are the most powerful ones, and in fact will be far more powerful once the effects of the formas are taken into account.  Stronger weapons do not reduce grind, but they do reduce difficulty.

Both have equal levels of grinding, but the change has reduced difficulty.  It's a request for easy mode, nothing more.

I think you're misunderstanding what the forma is.  It's another item applied to the weapon that allows it to be further moded.  You seem to have the idea that when you add a forma it magically unlocks some new hidden capabilities of the weapon.  That may or may not be the case, but that is not the choice I have made, and due to how the current mastery system works, I would say that I am in the right.

You seem to be rather opinionated on a pointless pedantic &!$$ing match, and I'd really like to see what logic it is that I'm missing.  If it's your logic of forma = more learning, then I got that loud and clear, I just disagree.

Not going to bicker any more, your logic is baffling though.

-

As for the OP: if DE ever decide to add mastery rewards to higher ranks, this may become an essential feature because we could get to the point that there aren't enough weapons to reach certain ranks. It all depends what they do with it.

Plus, at some point, we will just run out of gear to level so we'll all be stuck on some random id point between ranks...

They'll need to change something at some point.

I think you're confused. 

This does precisely nothing to eliminate or even reduce grind.  It simply changes grinding out new weapons and levels for new weapons for grinding out formas and repeatedly grinding out levels.  It will, however, effect difficulty, as in this proposed revision, the weapons that will universally be chosen are the most powerful ones, and in fact will be far more powerful once the effects of the formas are taken into account.  Stronger weapons do not reduce grind, but they do reduce difficulty.

Both have equal levels of grinding, but the change has reduced difficulty.  It's a request for easy mode, nothing more.

no, I mentioned grinding as "boring/repetitive tasks" and was trying to say "It's not grind if you are having fun in the meantime". But this went totally out of context, forget it. 

The post of mine you quoted was the exact opposite of "a request for easy mode". If anything, I'm in for more challenging stuff in game.

This topic has nothing to do with that.

It's not HARD for me to craft any of the BPs I have in my Foundy and start using the new item. It's not HARD to play for a few days with items that have low rank/capacity/stats. I already said that in the post you quoted, I find that fun to do and a great part of the game.

What is HARD is to have to try/level up/discard lots of weapons I couldn't care less about, because there's a mechanic that forces me to.

Wouldn't it be cool if we could keep progressing ranks by improving what we have ? It actually makes forma-resetting much more appealing, at least in my case.

Using things you don't care about isn't hard, you just don't like it.  As noted in my first post, that's just not a reason that carries any actual weight beyond personal preference. 

And not, it wouldn't be cool.  Forma resetting already has pretty large benefits, and it would pretty much mean nobody would ever use anything other then the best weapon they have.  Using the most powerful weapons is it's own reward - it does not need more.

What we actually need is more reasons to use a variety of weapons.  This is just a step in exactly the wrong direction.

[...]

What we actually need is more reasons to use a variety of weapons.  This is just a step in exactly the wrong direction.

actually I agree with that. But a combination of both things might be complimentary:

If the gameplay gives you reasons to use different weapons, then you wouldn't stick to the same setup even if you enhanced it with forma. Right now the reason to change is an arbitrary one, that's what feels wrong.