Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Looking for a good melee weapon... (I'm a noob, send help.)

Tonoroax

Question

Hello everyone, I appreciate the time you are taking to read this.

I recently started this game (Volt) and I don't fully understand the damage interaction between weapon, mod and enemy.

My accuracy with a firearm is garbage so I tend to end up meleeing everything.

A friend and a few guild mates have been kind enough to taxi me places so I can unlock the quests to get a few frames that I want (e.g. Octavia, Mirage).

I am currently stuck in the Octavia's anthem quest because I can't kill the sentient things without having to use all of my revives.

My current mastery rank is 5, about halfway to 6.

I am looking for a weapon (and suggestions on how to mod and where to get those mods) that will help me with this and will still be useful later in the game.

(Also, if anyone does have suggestions for a primary/secondary firearm and mods, I'll gladly take them.) 

I don't mind spending $10ish to get something in the game if it'll help me out and last for the later game.

Any help and advice is appreciated. Thanks.

13 answers to this question

19 minutes ago, Tonoroax said:

I recently started this game (Volt) and I don't fully understand the damage interaction between weapon, mod and enemy.

Hello,

tbh the weapon part of it doesnt do a lot of difference in damage. its mostly the mods that make a big difference in damage, upgrading them with endo makes almost every weapon strong. apart from that its getting the right elements against enemies. i usually use gas/slash vs corpus/infested and corrosive vs grineer.

I am currently stuck in the Octavia's anthem quest because I can't kill the sentient things without having to use all of my revives.

if you are that far i think it is good to farm a rhino on mercury. he is a strong tanky frame that with a few mods can clear the entire starchart and can be used well with a in your face melee build.

I am looking for a weapon (and suggestions on how to mod and where to get those mods) that will help me with this and will still be useful later in the game.

(Also, if anyone does have suggestions for a primary/secondary firearm and mods, I'll gladly take them.) 

what really helped for me at MR5 was i build a Hek (shotgun) with dmg mods like Point blank, Hells chamber and element mods.

i build the Atomos (secondary flamethrower) also build on dmg with hornet strike and elements and multishot mods.

and the Galatine (Pressure Point and elements for dmg and Fury and reach for atk spd and range)

the weapons are not hard to make and the mods are easy to find except for the multishot mods. but most people have a lot of them and usually you can find a person that will give them for free.

i hope this helps. if you have more questions i'd be happy to anwser them

Edited by Jermaiya
typo

16 minutes ago, Tonoroax said:

My current mastery rank is 5, about halfway to 6.

I am looking for a weapon

Cassowar, Guandao, some others depending on what kind of melee weapons you like; https://axhx.net/warframe-best-weapons/
(Good primary & secondary weapons also mentioned there)

16 minutes ago, Tonoroax said:

(and suggestions on how to mod and where to get those mods) 

You can find builds on http://warframe-builder.com/
And you can look for the mods and find out how to get them on https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/WARFRAME_Wiki

4 hours ago, Jermaiya said:

if you are that far i think it is good to farm a rhino on mercury. he is a strong tanky frame that with a few mods can clear the entire starchart and can be used well with a in your face melee build.

Would frost or valkyr work? currently have them crafting in the foundry.

2 minutes ago, Tonoroax said:

Would frost or valkyr work? currently have them crafting in the foundry.

Frost and Valkyr are both really good. Valkyr has a lot of HP and armor and is invulnerable when using 4.

Frost is great when playing defence, mobile defence or excavation missions

Step 1: Join a clan. Get an Ignis blueprint. Build that. 

I found wide-area attack weapons (of all categories) quite useful when starting, so continuous-stream weapons are very noob-friendly and can be quite effective. The Ignis is probably the easiest of these to use.

Once you hit MR9, and you have a few spare plat (like 5-10), ask in trade for the Ignis Wraith Blueprint. It's an outstanding primary weapon that will help you clear a room and cackle insanely while doing it. 

As for melee weapons, again, wide-area attack weapons are your friend. For an AMAZING weapon that scales well into the late game, you can't go wrong with the Atterax. 

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Atterax

Were you looking for a meat-grinder flail-whip? Because this is your weapon right here. 

7 hours ago, Tonoroax said:

Lots of good suggestions here, but wanted to point out something here that I've easily forgotten.

Those sentient things build up resistance to damage types, so if you're wailing at it with a single weapon you might not be doing any damage after a certain point. You'll either want to swap to a different weapon that has a different damage type, or you need to switch to your operator mode and hit it with your beam. That'll clear off any built up resistances.

Need a good fast melee for low mr?

Say no more, try out the [Tipedo]!

For the low low price of 20k creds for a bp! The requirements for it are also good for raising mr!

(Also, for sentients it's better to use burst dmg firearms, most likely shotguns. Try fit as much dmg types as you can if you haven't unlock *spoiler* mode yet.)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, eurotransient said:

Lots of good suggestions here, but wanted to point out something here that I've easily forgotten.

Those sentient things build up resistance to damage types, so if you're wailing at it with a single weapon you might not be doing any damage after a certain point. You'll either want to swap to a different weapon that has a different damage type, or you need to switch to your operator mode and hit it with your beam. That'll clear off any built up resistances.

Regulators. >_>

Good melee damage requires some particular mods to do really well.  Its not the weapon, its the combination of style + weapon + rare mods.  Until you get those mods, melee is very poor because you have to place yourself in danger while meleeing and if you can't kill the person your hitting quickly, you are in a lot of trouble.  A riven mod could be a way to get around having those mods, but the lowest ones come in at MR 8, so thats no help to you.  Also keep in mind that when the melee 3.0 update happens, lots of this information will change. 

There are a few different melee playstyles (not to be confused with stances) that have very different mod requirements, largely because they are centered on taking advantage of a particularly powerful mod or two.  They also work better with different frames.  I'm going to list the particular mods people base a build around, then give you my recommendations.

Bloodrush - This mod is critical for any crit or hybrid build.  Basically, once you build up your combo meter, your combo meter gets multiplied by this mod and then by the crit chance of your weapon to get a very very high crit chance.  Each 100% crit you put on your weapon essentially adds on whatever your crit damage is again.  Getting 300% total crit chance with 4x crit damage (not hard at all with this mod) means every hit you do does at least 12x damage.  Its relatively cheap to buy from players (15 plat or so)

Maiming Strike - Very expensive at the moment (250p+), since it is a rare drop from the Acolytes which only come around for a week every 6-8 months or so.  And the last time was about 6 months ago.  Maiming Strike add a large amount of flat crit chance when slide attacking, which is also multiplied by Bloodrush.  When put on a polearm or whip and combined with Prime Reach, you can wipe out huge areas of enemies.  A lot of people are recommending whips & polearms like Atterax & Guan Dao, but these weapons need Maiming Strike and Prime Reach to be very good.  

Condition Overload - Moderately expensive (50-60p or so).  Condition overload multiplies your damage in an exponential way for each status effect on the enemy you are hitting.  Every status effect multiplies your overall damage by 1.6.  Just 3 status effects (easy) gets you 4x damage.  10 status effects (very hard) would get you 110x damage.  This mod works very well for Volt, not so great for bosses or Frost.  

Covert Lethality - Dagger only.  Causes finishing attacks to instant kill.  Combines super well with frames that have a blind or sleep, like Inaros and Ivara.  One of the dagger stances has an instant kill combo in it as well.  

For Volt, I recommend you go for a hybrid Condition Overload build.  First, get the Shocking Speed augment.  This means every enemy you run into while speeding will be paralyzed long enough for you to kill them and they'll start with a status proc for Condition Overload damage.  For weapons, try some of the Dual Swords.  Twin Krohkur(MR 6) or Dark Split-sword(MR 5).  You probably want a hybrid build with them.  Pressure Point, Condition Overload, Blood Rush, Drifting Contact, Berserker, and 3 60/60 status mods.  It'd definitely be better with Prime Pressure Point and Prime Fury, but you'll have to wait on those.  (You can buy Prime Pressure Point from another player, but it costs you 1,000,000 credits in trade tax.  Prime Fury is a day 200 login reward).  Also get the Carving Mantis stance for it.

For Frost, frozen enemies can't be affected by statuses, so you need a crit weapon/build.  For Valkyr, her exalted blades don't work with blood rush, but they do work with the gladiator set bonus you have on your regular melee weapon, so keep that in mind.