Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How about NA server actually be NA only?!

Rovaeden

NA server selection should only be available to people playing from North America.

I'm so sick of this hosting system that, for whatever reason, decides to select as the host the person with the system least capable of hosting!

I have my ping limit set to 250 and yet I still get regularly connected to games hosted by people that seem to be playing from the Moon using a 14.4kb dial up FFS!

This is unacceptable networking practice for 2019!

Fix this DE!

Start by locking down server selection to local region of Earth that a computer is connecting from.
Next, as part of the "checking for updates" phase of the launcher, add a connection checker component that pulls ping, upload and download speeds and saves that in cache for the purpose of hosting as long as the game is running. Hell, run it periodically or pull 3 data sets to get an average.

ping isnt really the issue most of the time...host's upload speed is the real drag...until they allow us to set limits for host upload speed, no ping limit will matter. Ever. I always get complains from people when I land as host, but the funny part is that it even happens for people in the same state. ping is fine, it's the upload speed there...0.6 Mb/s sucks. Worse, we can't CHOOSE who is host except running premade groups. speaking of, that's what you should do more, Original Poster. Pre-made groups. Side-note,  I ran tridolons with my clanmates, some who live in norway and some who live in sweden, with almost no lag...region locking is definitely the wrong way to go.