The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Phobos?

Bioness

I just joined this game a week ago and am really loving it. Though the one thing that stood out significantly with the "planets" we visit is Phobos. I know two of moons below are locations and in the case of the four Gas Giant planets their moons are listed as missions. Is there a specific reason why Phobos was made a location and not one of the other much larger moons?

Moons_of_solar_system_v7.jpg

Considering Phobos is the first entryway to the Void, I've always thought it was a Doom reference, with Corpus as stand-in for UAC.

Edit: Hmm. Come to think of it, does anyone know what the lore says about Deimos and whether it's still orbiting Mars? If it's missing, then it could have been sucked into Void and acting as the said entryway through a portal with Phobos. That would make it definitely a Doom reference.

Edited by KnossosTNC

I'm sure they had ideas that just never quite materialized. Maybe someday it will with railjack or another open roam for Mars. It seems very important for all factions as it's kinda the front line in a full on corpus and grineer war. So there is likely some important orokin stuff there on paper in Steve's desk under the whiskey.

As for other moons, they can be railjack specific nodes. As the current starchart is lorewise restricted by use of solar rails. So it opens up "secret" bases that are off the grid because of sides lacking ships capable of that travel.

They can't just add everything even reusing assets because you want to funnel the player base and not spread them too thin across too many repeated mission nodes. And making extra areas railjack only still focus players with different content.

Edited by Firetempest

1 hour ago, KnossosTNC said:

Considering Phobos is the first entryway to the Void, I've always thought it was a Doom reference, with Corpus as stand-in for UAC.

Edit: Hmm. Come to think of it, does anyone know what the lore says about Deimos and whether it's still orbiting Mars? If it's missing, then it could have been sucked into Void and acting as the said entryway through a portal with Phobos. That would make it definitely a Doom reference.

Yeah, there is still a lot of missing lore regarding several moons/planetoids/abnormally large asteroids that are missing. In addition to Deimos, we are missing Charon(Pluto's moon), several other noticeably large asteroids similar to Ceres(such as Vesta), and a bunch of the Gas Giants' moons(Miranda from Uranus, Phoebe, Iapetus, Hyperion, and Mimas from Saturn, and Ganymede from Jupiter).

17 minutes ago, Kerberos-3 said:

Yeah, there is still a lot of missing lore regarding several moons/planetoids/abnormally large asteroids that are missing. In addition to Deimos, we are missing Charon(Pluto's moon), several other noticeably large asteroids similar to Ceres(such as Vesta), and a bunch of the Gas Giants' moons(Miranda from Uranus, Phoebe, Iapetus, Hyperion, and Mimas from Saturn, and Ganymede from Jupiter).

So, still possibility, then?

Slightly related thing: as an Astronomy nut, I sometimes feel like I'm having to shut half my brain to play this game, otherwise I start to nitpick. Grineer Sealab should be on Europa. Gas City should be on Uranus, and everyone should stay the Hell away from Jupiter. Pluto should be orange, something we've known before Warframe even started development. Etcetera.

Edited by KnossosTNC

1 hour ago, KnossosTNC said:

So, still possibility, then?

Slightly related thing: as an Astronomy nut, I sometimes feel like I'm having to shut half my brain to play this game, otherwise I start to nitpick. Grineer Sealab should be on Europa. Gas City should be on Uranus, and everyone should stay the Hell away from Jupiter. Pluto should be orange, something we've known before Warframe even started development. Etcetera.

Well, most of this can be dealt with by one explanation, and no, "It's just a game" isn't it. It basically boils down to Orokin terraforming tech being so far into the realms of Science Fiction that they can do what is technically impossible. Freeze Venus? Sure, no problem. Heat Pluto to the point of habitability? Lets do it. Once you accept this, than any inconsistencies between our starchart and theirs are easily overlooked(well, that plus the game taking place at least a million years into the future....).

Edited by Kerberos-3

10 minutes ago, Kerberos-3 said:

Well, most of this can be dealt with by one explanation, and no, "It's just a game" isn't it. It basically boils down to Orokin terraforming tech being so far into the realms of Science Fiction that they can do what is technically impossible. Freeze Venus? Sure, no problem. Heat Pluto to the point of habitability. Lets do it. Once you accept this, than any inconsistencies between our starchart and theirs are easily overlooked(well, that plus the game taking place at least a million years into the future....).

The terraforming and everything else makes sense, I was just curious the significance of Phobos. With all their technology they could have pulled some of the larger objects from the asteroid belt if they needed a moon for Mars. At least in game it does seem the locations on Phobos are almost all on ships and not the rock itself, that and it being used as an entrance to the Void.

I would also (personally) steer away from just accepting anything because it is "Science Fiction therefor not impossible". Suspension of disbelief exist for a reason as even fictional worlds should be consistent with itself. 

Edited by Bioness

2 minutes ago, Bioness said:

The terraforming and everything else makes sense, I was just curious the significance of Phobos. With all their technology they could have pulled some of the larger objects from the asteroid belt if they needed a moon for Mars. At least in game it does seem the locations on Phobos are almost all on ships and not the rock itself, that and it being used as an entrance to the Void.

Well, to be honest I have a theory about Deimos. it is simply that Deimos is basically the Corpus equivalent to the [REDACTED], a heavily defended capital area that is too well guarded for us to go to.