The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The problem with "Use these resources" Nightwave challenges

JeranTek

It's just silliness. I'd filled up my extra sculptures a few days before that challenge dropped. Considering that there's no easy way to locate more I'm not going to go through the tedium of hunting one specific, non-identifiable item just for this challenge, nor am I going to pay plat to get more for it. I'd just ranked and guilded a Zaw that I finally got around to building about two weeks before NW launched, and done the same with my first amp not too long before. I finally, finally decided to hop into parts of the grind that I'd left alone forever and instead of being able to take it at whatever pace I miss out if I don't do more of it ASAP.

Just like daily logins, this system does not reward participation in the game on the whole, it rewards players who play exactly as DE wants to keep their numbers inflated. Players who spend money in bursts and play in bursts aren't as valuable on the metrics as players who log in every single day and keep the total population number steady. As always, I'm speculating that this is because the two Chinese corps that own stakes in DE dictate that certain arbitrary KPIs remain at certain levels, so rather than rewarding for hours actively played, rather than valuing contributing to the community, they design rewards to be obtained only if you toe the line.

I've just stopped logging in and I have no plans to change that anytime soon. Maybe a new prime will drop that I decide is worth farming and trying out, but odds are I'll be right back to staying away after. If it's keeping their numbers where they want them I doubt it will change, but I'm not going to support it.

• Like 1

On 2019-03-19 at 12:05 AM, (PS4)Stealth_Cobra said:

Not true since there's prestige mode, which gives users the ability to actually farm wolf credits before the end of the season. Otherwise, you'll barely reach lvl 30 or might even miss your target if you ignored too many objectives. You're not forced, but are heavily enouraged to do so in fear of missing out on forma and exclusive cosmetics.

The fact that there's only a vague comment that you "only need about 60% of the tasks" isn't proof that you can ignore every challenge you don't like... Especially when you factor in the prestige mode being the only efficient way to farm wolf credits anyways, which are needed to afford the gazillion different helmets and cosmetics available there. If you're a newer player ,you pretty much have to 100% the weekly challenges if you want to get that 40% more XP needed to be able to spend it in prestige mode to get wolf credits.

And not to forget that this 60% is not even weighing in the amount of points each challenge has. It is fine saying 60% counts. But that is 10000*30 = 300000 rep 
300k rep does not come by easily. 

Each week 
((3 elite* 5000) + (7 weeklies * 3000) + (7 week dailies * 1000)) = 43000 rep 

300000 / 43000 = (6,976) around 7 weeks of completing all the challenges for these consecutive weeks! 

300000 is 60%. Thus a full season consist of 500000 rep. 

500000 / 43000 = (11,63) around 12 weeks for one season.
Seems some what manageable in theory.

20*15 = 300 wolf credits can be earned as extra if you are not missing out on anything. 1K would have been more fair in theory, but right now I do not have any of the prices in sight to be able to judge this accurately. 

If you didn't do all these elite challenges at all.
You will still come around that 300k. 336k to be exact. So far the math seems fair, but you cannot miss out any week and have to do all other challenges for at least 11 weeks. 

And who knows what kind of challenges De will throw in the mix. So far that is one of the major points that has made Night Wave so sketchy. And do not forget about the deadline and the amount of time one has to invest in order to be able to do all these challenges, even if it is just the dailies and weeklies. Because what does not seem to be considered here =

A life outside of Warframe

Edited by (PS4)Elloshin
doubt

42 minutes ago, True_Naeblis said:

It's just silliness. I'd filled up my extra sculptures a few days before that challenge dropped. Considering that there's no easy way to locate more I'm not going to go through the tedium of hunting one specific, non-identifiable item just for this challenge, nor am I going to pay plat to get more for it. I'd just ranked and guilded a Zaw that I finally got around to building about two weeks before NW launched, and done the same with my first amp not too long before. I finally, finally decided to hop into parts of the grind that I'd left alone forever and instead of being able to take it at whatever pace I miss out if I don't do more of it ASAP.

Just like daily logins, this system does not reward participation in the game on the whole, it rewards players who play exactly as DE wants to keep their numbers inflated. Players who spend money in bursts and play in bursts aren't as valuable on the metrics as players who log in every single day and keep the total population number steady. As always, I'm speculating that this is because the two Chinese corps that own stakes in DE dictate that certain arbitrary KPIs remain at certain levels, so rather than rewarding for hours actively played, rather than valuing contributing to the community, they design rewards to be obtained only if you toe the line.

I've just stopped logging in and I have no plans to change that anytime soon. Maybe a new prime will drop that I decide is worth farming and trying out, but odds are I'll be right back to staying away after. If it's keeping their numbers where they want them I doubt it will change, but I'm not going to support it.

DE has changed since this became something. The first major change was making the same mistake again of trowing in exclusive warframes based on an arbitrary prices paid for their support. What follows after that was that some resources became platinum based for quite some time, of course you could still get them in the game, but their amounts diminished, like how they are now, but rarer. While that used to be a rare drop but the quantity was way higher.

And allot of things has happened for better or worse. All I can say as of right now is that we are going to need to voice out way more as a community. 

It's too bad that you let this chase you from a game you have clearly put quite some time in to know all what you have mentioned. But I can understand that you have certain values and I respect that. Have a great time out there. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, taiiat said:

it doesn't matter if a task is 'well designed' because in this game, things aren't allowed to be. without giving a giant list of options, things can't be 'well designed' because that implies it having some level of difficulty and mastery of the game systems to complete it.

I completely disagree. You absolutely can put progress behind game design/mechanics and not inventory or MR checks. "Complete an Exterminate/Capture mission under x seconds, solo." or "Kill x enemies in 5 mins in a survival mission, solo" or "Find Orokin vault, undetected" etc. Now let this "x" scale with MR or offered standing and you have a true challenge, loosely bound to gear. Hell, even "Complete X bounties in PoE/Fortuna" would be better with "bounty stages"!

Nightwave, just like most recent additions, shows minimal effort.

but since everything has to be able to be completed while AFK.... then the game has to continue to do so. 

sooo..... comically easy tasks that amount to little more than 'play the game a bit' end up being a necessity.

Why should everything be as easy as an AFK activity? Where do you got those destructive ideas?

7 hours ago, taiiat said:

in order to have 'well designed' tasks, ones that actually ask something of the Player, bland, uninteresting ones will also need to be there, so that people can hold W and hit par.

Literraly nobody is asking for players, who abuse Homer's drinking bird to be on par with players who mastered the game. NV has a design problem, as it offers terrible rewards for slow progress and slows the same progress by saying "You need to be this tall to ride along". It is obvious, an experienced player should advance further than a beginner. It is also obvious you should not trip newbies. And NV does so.
It all comes down to a good design, and NV is far from it, be it tasks, reward allocation or time management. It is not beyond salvation, but changes need to happen yesterday.

it's kinda depressing and limits what the game can do, but it is what it is.

It is even more depressing, when somebody who has given up, agitates others to follow him in his downward spiral. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, (PS4)Elloshin said:

DE has changed since this became something. The first major change was making the same mistake again of trowing in exclusive warframes based on an arbitrary prices paid for their support. What follows after that was that some resources became platinum based for quite some time, of course you could still get them in the game, but their amounts diminished, like how they are now, but rarer. While that used to be a rare drop but the quantity was way higher.

[Citation needed]

Can you be anymore specific about both of these incidents? I am extremely curious. 

12 hours ago, ShortCat said:

I completely disagree. You absolutely can put progress behind game design/mechanics and not inventory or MR checks.

Why should everything be as easy as an AFK activity? Where do you got those destructive ideas?
It is obvious, an experienced player should advance further than a beginner. 

when somebody who has given up

the game most certainly could - but it's never allowed to. when content does provide above and beyond options, the Playerbase complains about not being able to get everything by scraping just into par.
yes, more experienced Players, and more invested Players, logically would be able (and should be able) to go above and beyond. you won't see me in the pitchfork mobs when there's content that offers more than just par.

it's the game that gave up, not me. but i'm just realistic based on precedence as to what we're allowed to have. whilst i still push for something more interactive, but know that nothing is likely to happen.