Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lost item due to host migration

(PSN)WitchyDragon01

I was doing a neo fissure on taranis (void defense), when I decided to use the zanuka hunter beacon I had just gotten before entering the mission. After quickly beating the invade, I got a detron blueprint and was very pleased about this. But then at about wave 3 or 4, I saw a notification for a teammate the game. After a minute or two of loading, the game kicked me out of the mission due to host migration issues. When I saw this, I was worried about my detron blueprint. And rightfully so. After loading into my ship, I checked my foundry and lo and behold no detron blueprint was to be found. I was really upset about this, but decided to leave it be as I could always just try the fight again. Oh well, things happen. Servers won't always work as intended. I went to make sure that I still had the beacon equipped before entering into another mission. However, what I found was that my beacon had still been consumed in the mission, but the drop was not saved. Why is it that the game can register my using a beacon, but not my reward from beating the invasion enemy? I didn't spend a half-hour grinding the ducats for a beacon just to have it wasted by poor matchmaking. 

I'm not the kind of person to quit over minor grievances. I have put over 600 hours into this game, and I find it to be one of the better games I've played in years. Yet losing out on items that are normally so difficult to acquire is frustrating and disheartening, and makes it difficult to want to keep playing. Yet I can only lose out in so much before I just lose interest.

To have to farm up another blueprint for a weapon I want is something I'll probably not do, and this incident is very likely to leave me unmotivated to play for a while.

Edited by (PS4)WitchyDragon01
Fixed a small typo.

Yeah , at this point I hardly ever do any long missions anymore because I feel there's a 50% chance my progression will get lost due to a host migration.

Examples from this week alone.

* Ran the fractures with a group of randos, ten seconds left before closing the 8th fissure and getting 14 points, host migration, back to fortuna with zero points earned...

* Ran multiple leveling missions like defense , wave 20, all my gear is maxed, host migration or small server disconnection during the result screen... Go back to ship only to see nothing has counted. Sometimes I even see my result screen with my maxed frames, then check on my actual frame and it's back to being lvl 10.

* Wolf Spawns, host migration, cannot get back into game.

The list goes on and on and on... Sometimes I just log into the game, play my first mission and poof host migration loss, then I immediately say "screw this game" and go play something else.

At this point I'd say it's the most critical issue in Warframe by far. It's innaceptable in a farm-intesive game like warframe not to have a system capable to migrate users properly without disconnecting / making the lose progression. Please fix this issue. I've started to basically leave groups in plains and poe the second the final bounty finishes because I know if the host decides to leave before I do, I'm screwed...

Maybe make a system where when a host decides to leave in the middle of a match, your servers take the relay immediately and the host isn't allowed to stop hosting until the migration process is completed successfully, instead of sending all three remaining players into disconnection limbo and trying to reconnect them together while the mission timers are still running..

Edited by (PS4)Stealth_Cobra

I myself have come to experience this nerve wrecking issue and in the best possible way too! Arbitrations! At this point, them all having been long runs, I've easily lost 12 hours of my life to host migrations, having been left without solid half a hundred vitus essence alongside a solid over 100k endo in both raw form and in statues. This is basically forcing me to either completely refrain from playing arbitrations at all or keep me from playing in multiplayer sessions, including my actual friends because it can literally happen anytime. Forget my items, time, nerves, focus and affinity voided by this, just please for God's sake find a way to fix this already! 

This has been going on for me all week, just lost 2 exploiter orb runs last night, host migration just before or as the orb drops the loot and end up back in lander or at Fortuna. Now with a mission failure screen and nothing shown in rewards.  Really feels like progress is lost often enough that its pointless to try certain content.  Very disheartening.  That new exploiter orb fight is my fav boss fight yet, I look forward to getting the issue fixed so i can enjoy it properly.

Every. Freakin'. Day.

Idk what is going on with Warframe lately but it's been getting worse. I can barely connect to Orb to do the fractures event because the game disconnects almost every time.

I try to do the orb taker mission and the game disconnects after the first fight, wasting the time and effort I put into it. I've put a lot of money into this game and all I ask for is the game to friggin' work.

• Like 1

On 2019-03-30 at 5:56 PM, (PS4)cosmicloner said:

I've put a lot of money into this game and all I ask for is the game to friggin' work.

Yes.

I wonder about this.

I personally have put more money into this game than say.. triple AAA titles like Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3, which also have a heavy multiplayer element, and are centrally hosted.  In fact, considering my recent Tennocon Digital access purchase, that makes this the video game on which I've spent the most money ever. 

Are people who spend 30, 50, 90+ bucks on this game an outlier?  Do the majority of players truly play for free?  Is DE strapped for cash? (I couldn't help but to notice that their Tennocon tickets, ranging from $75 to $1,000, sold out pretty fast)  Are servers that ridiculously expensive?   

I don't know the answers to these questions, but I do know that if they don't A) host their own games, or B) come up with a vastly superior host migration system, no game update, new open world maps, or new frame will save them from the gradual disillusionment of their player base.  We need to be able to smoothly jump in and out of sessions/games and we need to know that our time will be respected.. that no faulty system over which we have no control will cheat us out of our xp and loot.

There are plenty of games without server issues.  DE better make Warframe one of them fast.

^Totally agree with you, bud.

I've heard from other people in my clan that they have also had a lot of disconnection problems and that they can't even complete the fractures event because of it. Some also said that it is due to that very event that things have been broken as all hell.

Every day is a new problem for me. Today, for the third time so far, I complete a mission and get "Unable to find match" and is frozen in place, forcing me to close the game and restart it.

Maybe they should have dedicated servers for players who spend a certain amount of money...I don't know. Clearly something is wrong at DE if they are unable to solve this problem in the time since the games inception.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a strange individual, I nekros threads and I enjoy Eidolon hunts.

However, what I don't enjoy is out of the few Eidolon hunts I've started doing, roughly half of them or more end in host migration failure because someone couldn't wait for other people to get to extraction, and I lose all rewards. 
Without fail, without rhyme or reason.

People ask me why I take such long breaks from this game. Stuff like this.

• 4 weeks later...

I had my first major loss from host migration yesterday. Somewhere between 6 and 10000 in Endo, the new aura forma blueprint and one of the new mods from arbitration went up in smoke..

There was nothing I could do except turn off the game and walk away. 

I shudder to think about what I have invested in this title. It does seem foolish to throw it away over something so trivial. But things like this betray the entire premise of playing at all. Coupled with how overly complicated and convoluted some aspects of this game are and it's not far-fetched to imagine someone completely walking away because of something like this.

Sure I can look at what I'm saying objectively and even mock myself for getting bent up about rewards.

I phrase my issue as though I have suffered some significant loss, but if I'm honest the loss I experienced is nothing tangible. I have more than enough endo, I already have 2 åforma and the mod was unlikely to make it into my build.

None of what was lost had any specific tangible worth, and to be honest I didn't expect it to I was in there because I wanted to be. I wanted to face the kind of war that I like. 

I suppose since it is my first real big hit I'm able to sleep it off and jump back in the morning. Though I don't have sufficient desire to bother joining up with a public group. My frustration over what happened last night is nothing compared to the reticence and reluctance I feel over the potential prospect of losing the ability to enjoy the game. It seems likely based off what I have read so far that if I keep playing this will keep happening...

The real loss is basic trust in the platform. Grounded or not my stupid monkey frame blames Digital Extremes. That reward dope uptick is what drives the animal frame that we all live in. It puts up with a lot from me, and it's doing what I ask of it so I can't blame it for anything it feels.

I don't even know if a fix is reasonably possible for a game like this. Networking and Netcode are tough cookies in their own right even for new titles. More so for services that are already live.

Warframe was designed to be a peer-to-peer free-to-play shooter. add to that the number of different networks and different machines that Warframe is running on and it doesn't seem possible for the kind of change in service that would totally prevent this from happening. Sure centrally hosted servers sound great on paper but they're really really expensive. Allocating those servers and planning the type of transition that would be is daunting to say the least.. Not to mention the fundamental rework to the networking systems. Warframe has enjoyed such great success because it is so liquid, lower server costs have allowed it to flourish... So how does it make sense for digital extremes to completely change their business model over complaining? Especially when the numbers clearly say that despite our misgivings Warframe is soluble.

Take into account the fact that the revenue stream Warframe generates is directly tied to it's ongoing playability and the real truth of it is that it's kind of open heart surgery to mess with this sort of stuff.