The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Why does it keep Screen Freezing?

RGF_Zeta

So I don't know if it's the games problem but I keep trying to play it but after a mission or me just walking around Ordis the game freezes but acts like it doesn't now note I did every fix recommend and still jack nothing is this game bugged? I have 1308 hours into this game and never had this happen to me before.

Edited by RGF_Zeta

just for clarification: did the screen freezes and will stay this way or are those 'short' freezes, like a lag-effect?

if the game seems to freeze entirely (meaning you have kill the process by taskmanager or just via alt+f4), then you might have the same problem i have (or had, since i found a way around).

idk if you know your way around windows enough to understand what i mean with windows 'even logs', but if so, you might want to take a look into them in the category of 'windows logs/system' right after you had this freeze and had to manually kill the process (btw, the game will actually be still running - you can hear the sound, even of you moving around in there). in the logs, look for entries discerning your graphic card drivers - i had this problem with several nvidia card over the years, and only ever after the game got some graphical patching - so this was more or less a recurring annoyance for me, one that still is hard to pinpoint to (since i can't just debug the game). one of the error (blocks of errors actually) will mention the reason for the restart of the video driver (THAT is what actually is responsible for the freezing effect) an an 'illegal opcode' - that is an incorrect assembler command to the GPU, and worse, one that crashes the driver entirely. windows will then at once restart the driver to preserve an operational OS... sadly, games often aren't that robust and will either CTD (crash to desktop) or just, like warframe, freeze the screen. others might even crash the complete system, forcing a reboot.

the problem is hard to pinpoint even for the devs, since they don't code (mostly) directly in assembler code but in a high level programming language which will later be 'translated' by compiling the program code into machine code (which is assembler) - each assembler command a cpu (and gpu in this case) understand, is hardwired into it as a binary equivalent (ones & zeros) and, with some exceptions, can't be modified after the chip creation... this means, that not ever chip can understand the same command others, usually newer ones, can - there are also some differezen between the manufacturers. since GPUs never were as standardized as CPUs were (and even those still know some differenzes), it makes them far more afflictable to 'wrong' commands and therefore malfunctions like this freezing or crashing. or to make it short: the problem is a combination of many factors like the hardware, its drivers, the used computer language, the way the devs coded the 'things' that triggers those errors and the used compiler used after coding... software engineering can be big pain in the arse, that i can tell you...

lucky though, i found out that this problem 'only' occures when the game runs in full-screen mode. windowed mode will be ok, but would not advice it for it's kinda annoying in other ways. BUT since warframe also allows 'borderless' to be run at and even if you don't actual have multiple displays running, this is the option to do - at least for now, until they either fix the problem or more likely it will 'fix' itself due to newer versions of driver, compiler versions, etc...

hopefully that will help you and anyone else who has this behaviour. and sorry for the wall-o-text ^^)  i hate to give half-arsed explanations (even though it still is half-arsed enough, in the technical sense ^^)

• 1 month later...

Just returned after a break. I keep getting the freezes on almost every loading screen. Usually in the first 60 second nothing seems to happen and screen is frozen. Also when starting up the game the memory usage goes up extremely slowly and it seems that the loading takes ages to start. Never had these issues when I played the game last time (when there was still 32bit client). I checked event viewer and there are no warnings there either.

Laptop

4GB ram  (There was spare ram at all times when game was running)

Intel HD graphics

Windows 7 x64.

Freezes occur when:

1. Starting Game

2. Joining a game (or starting one)

3. Extracting back to orbiter. (This means that extracting with the team is unlikely to work since the freeze disconnects me.)

Settings: 800x600 fullscreen, everything OFF /low.

Usually freezes for 30-60 seconds, but inside the node frame-rate is stable.

Edited by Bulllets