Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee 2.85 Muh Keybinds

Thesiobhan

So...

I would trade pretty much everything you did working towards melee 3.0 for my keybinds back. I absolutely Abhor how the melee keys work now.

Previously, when my melee weapon was out I had its attack bound to mouse 1, and when my gun was out, I had mouse 1 bound to shoot gun. IE mouse 1 was always "Do damage".

Now, when I press mouse 1 with a melee weapon out it switches back to my gun and shoots things... I HATE THIS. I absolutely hate this so much. I had it just how I wanted, how it was comfortable, and how my muscle memory is trained. And some sweeping change I did not want messed everything up.

Let me be clear, no amount of "QOL" with instant weapon swaps or w/e is worth not being able to set up my hotkeys how I want.

Sorry to give negative feedback, but this change basically makes melee 3.0 into melee 3.no for me. just not gonna use melee weapons, and because of that most likely won't be using any frames that need life strike to survive.

Never mind, I found an option in a totally different menu that makes it work how I want it to work...

I feel kinda $&*^ish... That said, it's a lot of fun, and I'm glad I don't have to be upset anymore. It would have been very annoying.

*backs away slowly from thread*

ok, I'm relodging my hatred of the new control scheme.

I can't use my right click to block any longer, as as soon as I do it pulls out my pistol to aim down sights. I also can't have my channel keyed to the key that I wanted it to be on either, because even though my melee attack is set to use mouse 1, it still has to be keyed to E since there is no quick attack any more.

Overall I hate this. Hate it so much. This isn't a fighting game, I shouldn't need to contort my hands in crazy ways just to do stuff that I used to be able to easily do.

Sorry if it's harsh, but I dunno, I was pretty fine with melee 2.0 didn't have a problem with it, this feels like a case of fixing what wasn't broken, and breaking it worse.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thesiobhan said:

ok, I'm relodging my hatred of the new control scheme.

I can't use my right click to block any longer, as as soon as I do it pulls out my pistol to aim down sights. I also can't have my channel keyed to the key that I wanted it to be on either, because even though my melee attack is set to use mouse 1, it still has to be keyed to E since there is no quick attack any more.

Overall I hate this. Hate it so much. This isn't a fighting game, I shouldn't need to contort my hands in crazy ways just to do stuff that I used to be able to easily do.

Sorry if it's harsh, but I dunno, I was pretty fine with melee 2.0 didn't have a problem with it, this feels like a case of fixing what wasn't broken, and breaking it worse.

DE removed manual block when they added instant melee switching and targeted ground slam, while I like most of the changes they made I dont like the removal of manual blocking. Not only does it make mods like Guardian Derision and Electromagnetic Shielding so unreliable they theyre useless. The auto blocking has many many many times interrupted my while I was attacking an enemy, causing me to stop momentarily leaving me open to attacks that I wouldnt have had to take if the auto block not interrupted my attack in the first place.

Its a mixed bag, I would hate to go back to how it was before the change but I have some gripes about the system as is.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LordPantaloonsthe3rd said:

DE removed manual block when they added instant melee switching and targeted ground slam, while I like most of the changes they made I dont like the removal of manual blocking. Not only does it make mods like Guardian Derision and Electromagnetic Shielding so unreliable they theyre useless. The auto blocking has many many many times interrupted my while I was attacking an enemy, causing me to stop momentarily leaving me open to attacks that I wouldnt have had to take if the auto block not interrupted my attack in the first place.

Its a mixed bag, I would hate to go back to how it was before the change but I have some gripes about the system as is.

I agree with the criticism, auto-block is the one thing I really dislike about the melee rework thus far. As you mentioned, not being able to control one's block causes certain attacks to get interrupted uncontrollably, plus having permanent frontal damage reduction I don't think is all that interesting in itself. Simply keeping block manual and binding it to ADS would make it much more fluid, imo. 

Auto block needs to be deleted.

So many times i've been gliding through the air, about to attack and then my frame decides WHUP YOU DONT WANT TO TAKE A PITTANCE DAMAGE! BETTER BLOCK IT FOR YA BUDDY! which interrupts everything and actually locks me in an aimglide until the enemy stops shooting.

The old melee controls were far superior to this new system they're trying to force on us because we actually had control back then.

I may play AoE frames and use Zarr/Sonicor so I don't need to aim, but I don't want my melee controls to try and play for me.

As I've said before, the new system is intended to blend melee and guns together. It's naturally going to be a step down for people who used predominantly melee because it does offer less direct control. As someone who generally avoided melee over the fiddly controls, however, I see this as a step up because the entire system is less binary. Having one button to shoot and one button to melee is a lot easier to build muscle memory around. Consequently, it's a lot less common that I'd forget about it entirely.

Personally, I wish the game had far less of a reliance on ADS, such that I could move my melee key to the right mouse button and ADS on a toggle somewhere on the keyboard, or on a mouse thumb button. Generally speaking, the less overt weapon switching we have, the happier I'll be.