Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

its 2019, where are player/enemy collisions?

Ragingwasabi

Since I was wee little newbie back in 2016, there was 1 flaw to warframe combat I noticed almost instantly and could never ignore: the lack of proper collision interactions between player and enemies.

What I mean is, any time you collide with an enemy, whether by walking, rolling, running, bulletjumping, kdriving, dargryning or flying at fullspeed on an archwing, the enemy is completely unaffected. Like really, crashing into the enemy at maximum velocity with your rocket powered vehicle only to deflect off of them like they are made of 3 tonnes of steel.

???

Sprinting:
I've had so many moments where a single enemy conveniently stands in a doorway completely blocking the path. Gaps are pretty big, but surprise, you cant squeeze past them, and the enemies just stand there rock solid. I know you can melee them, and enemies in the vicinity of a bullet jump's initial launch position do get knocked down, but wheres the interaction when we're running?? I get if walking doesn't push enemies around, but sprinting should push enemies around a bit. A bit of nudging physics will go a long way to improving the feel of the game when trying to push past enemies with sprint.

Rolling:
Similar thing with rolling. Rolling into an enemy that's in my way, but aint nothin happen man... he's made of 3 tonnes of steel... 
Have you seen the velocity of a warframe roll? Enemies need to at least be nudged around and staggered by rolls. Knockdowns would make more sense because of the speeds involved and low point of impact with respect to the enemies centre of mass.

Bulletjumps:
Now I did mention that bulletjumps have an initial launch shock wave that knocks nearby enemies down. That's great, but, problem is the bulletjump themselves do not impart momentum on to enemies. this is a serious WTF moment. Bullet jumps are powerful enough to launch your frame like 50m into the air, but you aim that bulletjump straight into an enemy and collide with them, and nothing happens. Just deflect off of them. Like come on. Enemies need to be staggered and/or knocked down when we bullet jump into them.

Melee:
Then there's melee. Some melee have a very short range, which means for fast moving attacks like spin attacks, air attacks or specific stance combos, you need very precise timing to hit the enemy with the weapon (think of the last time you did a spin attack with a dagger). Often, you can attack too early and not hit the enemy at all which is fine; our bad. Other times... you crash into the enemy with your warframe first, deflect off of them, and then your melee doesn't hit them since now they're out of range/view. Considering the speed your warframe moves during these attacks, enemies should be pushed forwards when we crash into them. This push will help keep the enemy in front of us and give us more time for the melee to actually hit the enemy. So in this case, the addition of collision physics will actively improve combat. Come on DE, add those physics.

Oh and another thing is the ridiculous distances that some stance combos make us travel (e.g. sparring weapons). press melee 3 times and you move 20m forwards with the prisma obex. I just wanted to hit the guy half a metre in front me goddammit! I dont know if this will ever be adjusted to be more reasonable, but regardless, melee will always slightly move our frame forward with each attack. And you know a good way of dealing with moving too much that you overshoot the target enemy? Yes, the basic physics of pushing them forwards with you so they stay infront of ur attacks, instead deflecting off to the side.

Vehicles:
Do I need to explain the ridiculousness of crashing into a dude with any vehicle at fullspeed only to deflect off of them like nothing?
And not to mention Kdrives lack of offensive capability. at least allow us to ragdoll enemies around by smashing into them! imagine the fun to be had!
All vehicles need to ragdoll struck enemies! RULE OF COOL!

Edited by Ragingwasabi
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Hobie-wan said:

On vehicles, there are mods for Kdrives that do damage, so that might take care of those. I haven't ranked up with the Vent Kids to get a real board yet, so I'm not 100% sure though.

we shouldnt need mods to do basic collision physics. they need to add collisions and change the mod to do extra elemental dmg.

I have noticed some interesting collision detection while leveling Korrudo. I think they are planing to improve collisions in general with melee 3.0 with enemy juggling and better hit detection/reaction.

For Sprinting I always thougth bigger warframes like Atlas and Rhino should have hidden passive that allows them to knock down small to medium enemies and push bigger ones aside. On the flipside smaller warframes like Mag or Ember should push small to medium enemies aside but loose balance if they run into a big one (with a  very small stagger). Assassins Creed did a very good job in this regard but it might be a little bit too much effort. A more simplified version would work as well I think.

For rolling I want the zelda version... smashing your head against a wall over and over is super fun XD

Edited by Arcira
  • Like 1

This would be nice if they added in abit more physics but I think they could clean up movement/combat in general as well. I mean vanquish is even older than Warframe but has alot more clean combat with insane parkour and I feel like they could grab some inspiration from it such as being able to kick off an enemy. 

• Like 1