Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Idea. Testing weapons you don't own in the Simularicrum

Agentcheese

Ok. So this idea has probably been used in a bunch of other games already (Ratchet and clank 3 already comes to mind), but who cares? 

So the idea is testing weapons you don't own in the Simularicrum. This could be mastery locked so, you can't use a gun that needs a higher mastery level than you are. (Don't want to disappoint the brand new players do we?)

Here are some of the reasons why I think this would be a great idea. #1 It would let you get a feel for certain weapons. Sure you can display damage numbers for a weapon, but nothing can truly explain the great feel you get when smashing an enemy's face in with the prova vandal. It honestly feels like a one of a kind experience to me.

#2 it could let you use stance mods to see if they are right for you. Take the Galatine for example when you have Tempo royal equipped. Many players (me included) love the feel of the combo as you spin around like some wonky elongated spin top. But other people may hate the feel of the combo. So let them test the mod and see for themselves. Because frankly an E+E+E+E and a E+E+E+hold E combo doesn't tell me much. 

#3 You could find out things that you never expected to work. Until I tried it a couple of years ago, I had no idea that sniping Dargyn's with a shotgun was a viable tactic. Sure you can't spawn Dargyn's in the Simularicrum, but players might just get the general idea of sniping with a shotgun. Especially if they use their shotgun on an enemy that's really far away.

#4 you could save money on a riven you don't need. Sure some weapons work great with rivens. Others like the Opticor do so much damage that you don't even need a riven for level 30 to 40 content.

With free mod testing you could slot the riven into your build to see if it really makes a difference. 

Well that pretty much covers my idea. Let me know what you think about it. And make sure you point out any downsides in the idea if you find any. I can see any so far, but I wouldn't really like it if DE ends up implementing my idea and it comes with a bunch of long term side effects, that hurt the game in the long run.

The forums teem with weekly or daily threads on the topic of some old dusty ideas.

But this idea, to be fair, appears only once every three months. Kudos for picking this rare fossil of an idea.

It's not going to happen. DE keeps us hooked by hoping that we're going to use all content. Every weapon that we use translates into hours of gameplay. Some months we get no content aside from a couple of weapons. DE puts time and effort in each single weapon, as they all have art and mechanics and history and animations. They want us to use them.

So, for DE, allowing us to use a weapon for free, test it for one minute, and maybe decide "nah, I'm not playing with that" is counterproductive. They want us to build them and use them.

Also, what is this idea? Don't we like Mastery Points? Every weapon has to be picked up and levelled at least once.

So, for me it's a no. It's not good for DE and it's not interesting for us.

4 minutes ago, Dhrekr said:

The forums teem with weekly or daily threads on the topic of some old dusty ideas.

But this idea, to be fair, appears only once every three months. Kudos for picking this rare fossil of an idea.

It's not going to happen. DE keeps us hooked by hoping that we're going to use all content. Every weapon that we use translates into hours of gameplay. Some months we get no content aside from a couple of weapons. DE puts time and effort in each single weapon, as they all have art and mechanics and history and animations. They want us to use them.

So, for DE, allowing us to use a weapon for free, test it for one minute, and maybe decide "nah, I'm not playing with that" is counterproductive. They want us to build them and use them.

Also, what is this idea? Don't we like Mastery Points? Every weapon has to be picked up and levelled at least once.

So, for me it's a no. It's not good for DE and it's not interesting for us.

Ok, first off. I didn't know that this idea had already been suggested. I did a quick search of the forums to see if my exact idea had already been brought up before. I found nothing. So obviously I should have searched harder.

Now for your next point. Yeah.. Your probably right about DE not wanting us to test weapons beforehand. Its a bit of a bummer though. I thought the idea would be great at saving people from wasting plat or resources and buying a sword or gun that is not for them.

Also the testing would be restricted to the Simularicrum. You wanted to use the weapon anywhere else, you would need to pay plat or build it.

Lastly Mastery rank really doesn't matter to some people. Me included actually. Sure I'm mastery rank 16 or 17 or whatever, but I don't really care. You could slap a big fat 2 next to my name and I wouldn't mind. I like my actions to speak for me more than a number. 

And sure there are some neat perks to being a high mastery rank, like extra trades and more syndicate standing, but some of the best weapons are given at mastery rank 8. Soma is a good example. Also you wouldn't be able to level up weapons through the Simularicum to gain mastery points. In fact I'm pretty sure you can't do that now.

In the end though its not the end of the world if this doesn't get implemented into the game. I was just seeing the Wolf sledge being sold in trade chat and I REALLY wanted to try it out before I decided to buy it.

3 hours ago, Agentcheese said:

I thought the idea would be great at saving people from wasting plat or resources and buying a sword or gun that is not for them.

Of course, but this is the crux of the problem.

You write "wasting plat", but that's DE's income. You buy a weapon for plats? Income for DE. You build a weapon and need a weapon slot? Income for DE. You pay an enormous amount of money to a veteran for the Wolf Hammer? It's money that the veteran (having everything else in the game) will invest in, I don't know, Riven slots or a Deluxe skin. Income for DE.

DE's income relies on these transactions. Each weapon they release is supposed to produce money - through purchases and arsenal slots; but also moving plats from the hands of newer players to the hands of veterans who are going to spend those plats in fashionframe or whatever.

If players could just try out a weapon for a couple of minutes, think "noo I don't really feel this gun" and abstain from any purchase... well.

Now, let's be clear: I'm not defending DE's monetization, this is not an endorsement. I'm just remarking that this idea goes against DE's interest: we have to be conscious of that, and not be surprised if DE doesn't follow with this idea.

Edited by Dhrekr