Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dumb Puddle (or how I learned to see Hydroid as mere mastery fodder)

zoobmer

During bow only and sniper only sortie missions, I am averse to dealing damage, and try to find a more supportive role. For defense missions, a sonar Banshee fits this role quite well, and I've decided to take Banshee Prime to any bow only and sniper only sortie defense missions. However, I soon found out that this loadout works very poorly for interception missions.

I decided to build Hydroid Prime for this purpose. I figured I could become a puddle and block the consoles, and even heal allies in the process, thus not needing touch my actual weapons. I figured, if nothing else, at least I would would gain some mastery from him. As I soon learned during the leveling process, mastery was all I would use him for.

After leveling a bit and unlocking his full kit, I decide to farm mastery points as Hydroid on an interception fissure mission in the void. I soon realized that, to my dismay, Hydroid simply could not get enough range to block an interception node. I decided that I would simply run around and kill things with the only max level weapon I had equipped; which was also the only one with a potato or forma. Enemies had no trouble downing me over and over again in this mission, and I was beyond frustrated. I thought, hey, maybe it will get better once I actually reach max level.

For my next mission, I decided to farm mastery as Hydroid in a fissure mission on mote. I created a puddle to drown enemies. At one point, I was in a room, alone, and enemies were piling up in my puddle of doom. Then, to my dismay, I was nullified, and had literally an entire room full of enemies attacking me, literally taking me from full health to no health within a couple of seconds. I lost not one, but two self revives before a teammate arrived. At this point, I had given up on ever taking Hydroid to a sortie.

For my next mission, I decided to take Hydroid to farm mastery in a defense fissure on Eris. Thankfully, this time the mission went very smoothly. I finally maxed Hydroid Prime, and now it is time for him to gather dust in my arsenal, since his purpose as mastery fodder is no more, and he has no other purpose to fill.

Anyway, I've already farmed mastery on Oberon as well, so I may simply potato and forma him to use in bow only and sniper only sortie interception missions, if I simply manage to find an appropriate build.

I can see where you are coming from but staying as a puddle for the entire (or at least most of) the mission is something to avoid like a vampire avoids garlic. Players are not meant to be stationary in any case. If Hydroid had that kind of range, and if not for nullies, it'd be a perfect example of a "Press 2 to win" ability, which it already is in some limited cases.

Edited by (PS4)Hikuro-93

Not sure what your point is. Your in the fan zone of the forums but clearly not a fan. So you might want to try this again in feedback since it doesn't look like a discussion. Everyone has their preferences but sadly with the Nekro / hydroid combo being removed there is going to be a decrease in use of this frame. 

Nullifiers are a pain and poorly handled IMO. I get they wanted to make something that would prevent one button wonders but one solution across the board does not make sense. You can search for those threads.

Edited by Zelmen

4 minutes ago, (PS4)Hikuro-93 said:

I can see where you are coming from but staying as a puddle for the entire (or at least most of) the mission is something to avoid like a vampire avoids garlic. Players are not meant to be stationary in any case. If Hydroid had that kind of range, and if not for nullies, it'd be a perfect example of a "Press 2 to win" ability, which it already is in some limited cases.

Yeah, but sadly, I don't really have any other reason to use him.

4 minutes ago, Zelmen said:

Not sure what your point is. Your in the fan zone of the forums but clearly not a fan. So you might want to try this again in feedback since it doesn't look like a discussion. Everyone has their preferences but sadly with the Nekro / hydroid combo being removed there is going to be a decrease in use of this frame. 

Nullifiers are a pain and poorly handled IMO. I get they wanted to make something that would prevent one button wonders but one solution across the board does not make sense. You can search for those threads.

IDK what you're talking about. I absolutely am a fan of the game, even if I'm not a fan of Hydroid in particular. Also, this post doesn't actually make for good feedback; It is merely a fun little story, hence why it belongs in the Fan Zone.

1 minute ago, zoobmer said:

I absolutely am a fan of the game, even if I'm not a fan of Hydroid in particular.

You're talking about hydroid not the game hence the comment. Not sure how you thought I said you were not a fan of the game. I am responding to your topic about hydroid. Describing why you don't want to play hydroid is feedback.

6 minutes ago, Zelmen said:

You're talking about hydroid not the game hence the comment. Not sure how you thought I said you were not a fan of the game. I am responding to your topic about hydroid. Describing why you don't want to play hydroid is feedback.

"Fan Zone" is for fans of the game; Not for fans of the specific parts they choose to talk about. Feedback is for when you want DE to change or add something, or express your opinion on things they decided to change or add. I have no intention of commenting on what Hydroid should play like; Just telling a fun little story to anyone who will listen.