Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

FPS Drops and Random CPU Spikes

SwitchBlqde

Question

Hey, so I've been playing Warframe sporadically these past few months, but ever since about a month ago, I've been getting like 60-70 fps and then all of a sudden it'll drop to like 5-10 fps (this happens every two minutes or so). And during that, my CPU usage spikes from like 30% to 90%+ I've tried changing the settings all to low/disabled, but that still doesn't fix it. It used to run perfectly fine but it's been real laggy lately, pretty hard to play.

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 - 6500U @ 2.5 GHz

Ram: 16gb

GPU: Geforce 940 MX

6 answers to this question

We can't do anything about it. There are dozens of things that could be the reason. One RAM stick making problems or the PSU slowly dying. Or maybe your CPU or PSU is overheating. 

Thing is, it is definitely a hardware problem since changing all settings to low doesn't fix the problem at all.

Otherwise I can only ask, did you recently install any software? Razer software in general is known to make a LOT of problems.

Edited by Karu-QW

Laptop PC - that’s means the heat sinks can gather dust fast, and either or both CPU and graphics chip can over heat more quickly. You want to open the back of the laptop Pc and use a blower or brush to clean and get rid of the lint/dust gathered in the always almost pathetically small heat sinks in most laptop PCs. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Karu-QW said:

We can't do anything about it. There are dozens of things that could be the reason. One RAM stick making problems or the PSU slowly dying. Or maybe your CPU or PSU is overheating. 

Thing is, it is definitely a hardware problem since changing all settings to low doesn't fix the problem at all.

Otherwise I can only ask, did you recently install any software? Razer software in general is known to make a LOT of problems.

I got Firefox and Bluestacks recently but I wouldn't think these would cause big problems. 

3 minutes ago, George_PPS said:

Laptop PC - that’s means the heat sinks can gather dust fast, and either or both CPU and graphics chip can over heat more quickly. You want to open the back of the laptop Pc and use a blower or brush to clean and get rid of the lint/dust gathered in the always almost pathetically small heat sinks in most laptop PCs. 

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

I've had a similar problem, I usually get 140+ fps and now it'll sometimes dip down to 40-80. Sometimes even lower and be very choppy/stuttering. Temp is fine because I usually check everything when it does do this and is usually below average or is at the average temp. I can still play fine since after 5-10 mins it'll go away but still pretty aggravating when it does happen, makes me think my pc is going to explode.

Tried other games and benchmarks?

When all is said and done Warframe is a F2P game and problems tend to happen with optimization.

I've reported at least five different problems personally that were later fixed. It just happens and could have nothing to do with your PC.

It's also pretty common with the release of new tilesets in Warframe. Two of my reports were from Earth remastered, one Fortuna, one PoE and one for the kitgun Gaze and my PC is way over specs for this game riding a 2ghz RTX 2070. Doesn't matter though if the code is botched. Try other stuff and see if the problem persists.