The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Odd FPS drops? -good computer

nxri

My hardware:

• Intel i7 8700 (3.2 gHz)
  • GTX 1070 8gb
  • 16gb RAM

Now I recently installed this game again and I was playing fine with consistent frames, no fps drops. I know that the specs are more than capable to play Warframe on 1440p. To put it into perspective... It was like yesterday my game was running fine, but then, I go to play today and I get horrible fps drops, 144 frames dipping to 20-40 fps or sometimes even 7 frames. This usually happens when I cast abilities of any frame.

Methods I tried:

• Reinstalling Warframe
  • Updating drivers
  • Lowered graphic settings (even on the lowest resolutions I still get the fps dips!)

I suppose I haven't tried much but these are really the only things I can think of, so I came here. Why do I get fps drops on a decent computer, that is capable of Warframe? - in contrast, I can play any other game just fine, for example, I played Fallout 4 with just about 100 mods, mostly graphical mods and I get consistent frames (with little fps drops), rather than on Warframe? This is odd because Warframe was just fine, and this happens suddenly.

-If anybody has a solution or has experienced this, please reply! 🙂

I looked your CPU up and it has integrated graphics and the way you described the problem to me it looks like the typical PC problem of "I forgot which GPU I'm supposed to use". so make sure your game is using the Nvidia card by either setting it as the default in the Nvidia control panel, going to the device manager to disable your Integrated GPU or as a last resort go to the bios and disable it from there.

9 hours ago, EDM774 said:

I looked your CPU up and it has integrated graphics and the way you described the problem to me it looks like the typical PC problem of "I forgot which GPU I'm supposed to use". so make sure your game is using the Nvidia card by either setting it as the default in the Nvidia control panel, going to the device manager to disable your Integrated GPU or as a last resort go to the bios and disable it from there.

How would one be able to do this? I'm having the same exact issue with the same hardware.

17 minutes ago, DrillnTheBoss said:

How would one be able to do this? I'm having the same exact issue with the same hardware.

Spoiler

ctosQQe.png

this is my Laptop's device manager, but for you it should look similar. Just disable the Intel card.

Edited by EDM774

13 hours ago, taiiat said:

Equipment differences, and what Tileset you were playing in are going to be very significant points of data, for this.
as A vs B for each can make a world of difference, and/or help specify the problem.

Tile set and equipment aren't a variable in this case, it didn't matter what I had or what map I was on, or what my graphics settings were, it remained unchanged that I received FPS drops for no reason.

On any map, and any gear I had I still received FPS drops. Though, I must mention when. This particularly happens when I cast my abilities, and during ciphers.

2 hours ago, EDM774 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

ctosQQe.png

this is my Laptop's device manager, but for you it should look similar. Just disable the Intel card.

Only my GPU is shown in where you found that. plus, if that was the case wouldn't my CPU have more percentage use than my GPU? Though I question, when I play Warframe my GPU usage is between 30%-50% (dips when I cast abilities, solve ciphers) and CPU usage around 20%... I would've expected the percentages to be higher for the GPU- around 70% while playing Warframe. 

Also if that were true, I wouldn't have been able to play Fallout 4.

Edited by nxri

57 minutes ago, nxri said:

Tile set and equipment aren't a variable in this case, it didn't matter what I had or what map I was on, or what my graphics settings were, it remained unchanged that I received FPS drops for no reason.

On any map, and any gear I had I still received FPS drops. Though, I must mention when. This particularly happens when I cast my abilities, and during ciphers.

Only my GPU is shown in where you found that. plus, if that was the case wouldn't my CPU have more percentage use than my GPU? Though I question, when I play Warframe my GPU usage is between 30%-50% (dips when I cast abilities, solve ciphers) and CPU usage around 20%... I would've expected the percentages to be higher for the GPU- around 70% while playing Warframe. 

Also if that were true, I wouldn't have been able to play Fallout 4.

Hey, I found my issue ( No clue if it will work for you): I had to go back to an older version of windows. A lot of people were saying that the newest version of windows 10 was giving people GPU spikes and causing graphical issues. Unfortunately, I had to do a full reset, but the game IS running at full capacity now.

52 minutes ago, nxri said:

Tile set and equipment aren't a variable in this case

plus, if that was the case wouldn't my CPU have more percentage use than my GPU?
Though I question, when I play Warframe my GPU usage is between 30%-50% (dips when I cast abilities, solve ciphers) and CPU usage around 20%... I would've expected the percentages to be higher for the GPU- around 70% while playing Warframe. 

if you have changed Equipment and nothing is different, ok.
yes, when using Abilities.
something is different between now and then, clearly.

no, whether you're actively using the iGPU on your Processor or not would not display there. it would be displayed as a GPU, since it's separate from the Processor, just inside of it. (and ultimately a CPU Graph doesn't tell us much of anything for Video Games, tl;dr non linear scaling type of Assembly instructions)
unusually low GPU Utilization does suggest that there is something limiting along the line - whether that be a Driver or some other Software getting in the way, or possibly Hardware - something, is in the way along the line.

in the middle of me typing(we'll save the rest of what i was typing for another time, since a more likely explanation was suggested):

16 minutes ago, DrillnTheBoss said:

Hey, I found my issue ( No clue if it will work for you): I had to go back to an older version of windows.

a possibility, yes. i've heard some grumbling about the last push for w10 causing problems for people.