Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Is The Scariest Game That You've Played?

TheErebus.

I don't know when either of the concepts was created and i don't currently have time to research that. Maybe they were thought up of separately and/or simultainously?

What came first; the chicken or the egg?

Many people say that SCP-173 is a rip off of the weeping angels.

But actually, SCP-173 was made in 2008. Weeping angels were afterwards.

System Shock 2 for me.

Most paranoying game ever because, you can't run, you can't hide... The only thing you can do is fight, even when you have nothing. And 1 enemy could ruin your day because finding health is like finding gold nuggets, scarce...

There's ton's of guns though... BUT BARELY ANY AMMO TO USE THEM. And they break easily and most of the ones you find are jammed... Repairing isn't easy until mid game.

System Shock 2 was the best Survival Horror, nothing can compare to it. It was hard, brutal, and it mind f*****d you the whole way...

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse YOU GET B**** SLAPPED WITH A PLOT TWIST THAT F**** YOUR MIND EVEN MORE.

Then you trust nobody anymore. That sums up how good a survival horror System Shock 2 was.

Here's some hi-res art of some of the enemies 

http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/23/22192/Character_Concept_-_Pipe_Hybrid.jpg

http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/23/22192/Character_Concept_-_Cyborg_Midwife.jpg

http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/mods/1/23/22192/thumb_620x2000/Character_Concept_-_Shotgun_Hybrid.jpg

Edited by RustyNaps

System Shock 2 for me.

Most paranoying game ever because, you can't run, you can't hide... The only thing you can do is fight, even when you have nothing. And 1 enemy could ruin your day because finding health is like finding gold nuggets, scarce...

There's ton's of guns though... BUT BARELY ANY AMMO TO USE THEM. And they broke easily and most of the ones you find are jammed...

System Shock 2 was the best Survival Horror, nothing can compare to it. It was hard, brutal, and it mind f*****d you the whole way...

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse YOU GET B**** SLAPPED WITH A PLOT TWIST THAT F**** YOUR MIND EVEN MORE.

Then you trust nobody anymore. That sums up how good a survival horror System Shock 2 was.

I've heard a lot about it.

I haven't had the chance to play it. So...

;~;...

Some games that have not been mentioned which i also played is a bit in half life 2 and FEAR 1.

I was pretty young when i played HL2 so ravenholm scared the S#&$ outta me.

FEAR 1 was great and had some good scares. FEAR 2 was also good but it started to decline the series from that point.

Some games that have not been mentioned which i also played is a bit in half life 2 and FEAR 1.

I was pretty young when i played HL2 so ravenholm scared the S#&$ outta me.

FEAR 1 was great and had some good scares. FEAR 2 was also good but it started to decline the series from that point.

Oh my @(*()$ god, how could I forget F.E.A.R.?!

That game made me stop playing it for 5 days.

Hmm...

As an avid horror gamer, this will take some difficulty

Amnesia is a fine game, great atmosphere, and almost zero jumpscares, which is unique to a game that terrifies you this well.

Though after you play it once it just starts to feel like your 5 year old sister chasing you down your hallway.

Outlast was a decent horror game, but there weren't many "good" moments. It was much too easy.

You could easily avoid enemy contact because the AI would flip out and spin around whenever you did something it didn't like.

It followed the same theme with the enemies throughout the entirety, and got somewhat tired at the end.

Also, it was a gatherfest. Having to grab x amount of y before being able to proceed is a dreadful attempt to prolong a game, especially when repeated.

Slender, just like Amnesia, got a little more like a child jumping out at you and yelling "boo".

Dead Space 2 and 3 were great games, but I stopped considering them horror about halfway through.

It loses it's atmosphere, and just becomes a good shooter.

Dead Space 1 was excellent, but I got it for the PC.

Ever tried it's controls on the PC? Dreadful. Even at the max setting, the sensitivity is horrible to the point where the game isn't even playable anymore.

As for my favourite... well...

I'm a sucker for horrors that take a new path towards the genre, and are generally unique compared to their preferred counterparts, so I reckon Silent Hill takes the cake.

With a great blend of a terrifying setting, evil characters and a story that wants to make you vomit and cry at the same damn time, Silent Hill's a great franchise. It's completely unique, with a great concept and weird camera angles that somehow work to increase the atmosphere even more.

Fatal Frame is decent as well, but heavily relies on Jumpscares, and the tension that leads up to them.

Hmm...

As an avid horror gamer, this will take some difficulty

Amnesia is a fine game, great atmosphere, and almost zero jumpscares, which is unique to a game that terrifies you this well.

Though after you play it once it just starts to feel like your 5 year old sister chasing you down your hallway.

Outlast was a decent horror game, but there weren't many "good" moments. It was much too easy.

You could easily avoid enemy contact because the AI would flip out and spin around whenever you did something it didn't like.

It followed the same theme with the enemies throughout the entirety, and got somewhat tired at the end.

Also, it was a gatherfest. Having to grab x amount of y before being able to proceed is a dreadful attempt to prolong a game, especially when repeated.

Slender, just like Amnesia, got a little more like a child jumping out at you and yelling "boo".

Dead Space 2 and 3 were great games, but I stopped considering them horror about halfway through.

It loses it's atmosphere, and just becomes a good shooter.

Dead Space 1 was excellent, but I got it for the PC.

Ever tried it's controls on the PC? Dreadful. Even at the max setting, the sensitivity is horrible to the point where the game isn't even playable anymore.

As for my favourite... well...

I'm a sucker for horrors that take a new path towards the genre, and are generally unique compared to their preferred counterparts, so I reckon Silent Hill takes the cake.

With a great blend of a terrifying setting, evil characters and a story that wants to make you vomit and cry at the same damn time, Silent Hill's a great franchise. It's completely unique, with a great concept and weird camera angles that somehow work to increase the atmosphere even more.

Fatal Frame is decent as well, but heavily relies on Jumpscares, and the tension that leads up to them.

You.

You deserve all my respect. All of my likes.

I cannot say how happy I am to see this.

You are a true horror fan.

Half-Life 2
Man... The Ravenholm stage is so creepy...

Doom 3
The beginning of levels is so scary! although some of them are jump scare

Aliens vs Predator 1999
OH MY GOD, THEY CLOSE!?
WHERE ARE THEY!?
MY RADAR KEEP BEEPING!!
WHA...!?
AAAAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!
[*Trigger Happy with Pulse Rifle*]

Eternal Darkness was a good one. It had a sanity system, and was a game that didn't just screw with the characters, it messed with YOU, the player.

When your sanity was low, you would start hallucinating, from bugs crawling on the screen, to fake crashes, to your character's body falling apart piece by piece... then you would snap back to reality as you realize it wasn't even real at all. That was one of the first games to really give me chills.

System Shock 2 - one and only game that made me freeze on my chair during "cinematic". If you are not sure should you play, and if you don't mind few very mild spoilers - check few seconds of this

- voice files of your main antagonist.

I agree with RustyNaps and I'll add that this game on higher difficulties is destructively hard and punish every rash decision - whether is it shooting at wrong time or using your skillpoints. It has nice skill system and actual classes (but there is no problem in using PSI skills on Marine or investing in Hacking on PsiOP), so nothing like Bioshock series. It has superb sound and creates terryfying ambience.

Graphics are dated, but there are few really good mods that should make them more bearable (if that's an issue).

And it's for 4 dollars at gog.com now :)

Other than that - Dead Space games had their moments, FEAR 1 was pretty intense,

Now I am waiting for Routine and Darkwood.

Edited by SabreUr

System Shock 2 - one and only game that made me freeze on my chair during "cinematic". If you are not sure should you play, and if you don't mind few very mild spoilers - check few seconds of this

- voice files of your main antagonist.

I agree with RustyNaps and I'll add that this game on higher difficulties is destructively hard and punish every rash decision - whether is it shooting at wrong time or using your skillpoints. It has nice skill system and actual classes (but there is no problem in using PSI skills on Marine or investing in Hacking on PsiOP), so nothing like Bioshock series. It has superb sound and creates terryfying ambience.

Graphics are dated, but there are few really good mods that should make them more bearable (if that's an issue).

And it's for 4 dollars at gog.com now :)

Other than that - Dead Space games had their moments, FEAR 1 was pretty intense,

Now I am waiting for Routine and Darkwood.

Seems like system shock is a really horror filled game.

I'll try it out for sure.

Dora the Explorer. It scares me that they made not one, not two, but six video games for her. 

Specially with swiper swiping just behind her. It's too much for my brain.

I have to go with Fatal frame, any one of those games. Honestly, having lived in a house with other non-entities i'm kinda used to eerie creepy feelings. But jumpscares are what get me.

Game I remember giving me the most scares?

Halo 2. I played that when I was like, nine (WAY too young to be playing games period) and I still remember the first mission where the Flood appear. I just couldn't do it.

Most horror-ish game played lately? Alan Wake. Really the only "Horror," game I own. Resident Evil really doesn't count.