Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ash Prime Missing Color Channels

GentlePuppet

6 hours ago, GentlePuppet said:

Oh, that's kinda dumb, hurt's customization a bit.

Not dumb, a sad restriction of PBR under the texture format DE uses. Changing it would make it look pretty bad (Mag Prime is a pretty good example of this), as that would be an absolute loss of detail, unless DE redid the whole texture system for allowing more than 4 tint channels (but I don't even know if that's technically possible, as I started searching on this a couple years ago through the net and the answers were all pretty disappointing).

Edited by NightmareT12

It should be possible with the use of ID Map mask or material ids. Essentially this would assign a color to different parts of the mesh and then you can tint individual parts of the mesh in a game engine. I have seen some fairly detailed ones with six or more colors so I assume it is possible but would probably require a complete redo of all the textures to allow this otherwise you would have some warframes having six channels and only a few work. Though this is only speculation as I have only ever used this method once before in Unreal Engine.

Some examples of how ID maps look. So basically with the robot for example. The yellow is tinted only on the green masked areas and should not effect any details from the normal map of the object as it only tints the diffuse map and nothing else.

I can only guess that they are already using a similar method to tint weapons and frames but it is possibly limited to their code or due to not wanting to make everything have 6 million channels.

EDIT: I have to clarify I have only ever done this with 3 channels so it might indeed not be possible, but who knows?

maxresdefault.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqHanT1Ouka16l_JVDCM7

Edited by DarkBladeNemo