Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Squad Link Rewards

Auris40

Recently I saw a video on youtube (i think it was by Brozine) where an interesting point was made in regards of rewards for the "helping out" part in the Squad Link feature planned.
It summed up to that people usually dont chill out on the plains or the vallis but are there for a specific reason, to farm/fish/hunt certain resources, standing or whatever.

So it would take a strong incentive for people to interrupt it to help someone out, or even considering it.

Mulling things about, I wondered if a token system would do the trick. Which would allow players to exchange the tokens for a reward package of their choice, so they could supplement whatever they were farming for with said package. It could be fairly generic, a bunch of various minerals/gems/fish ... or specific as in a number of certain kinds of fish or gem...or even right away standing.

Lore wise it might be sort of rail agent outposts/stations were the tokens can be exchanged. As they seem to be the ones doing trading/supply runs it would reasonable for them to have a large asortments of wares and pull to "put in a good word" (read increase the standing with factions).

Even for more challenging content it's very hard to get DE handing out decent rewards. Now imagine that for a "help a fellow" system. I expect stuff like 10 resource units of some common kind, ≤20k credits, etc.

A bonus, but hardly a worthwhile one. Every 100 years some content comes and lasts, like fissures or sorties, but it's very rare. Like, very much a lot.

As much as a token system would help... well anything in WF, DE seem firmly against such a system (for some reason), despite token systems being incredibly versatile and included in nearly every single MMO in the world.

Overall I don't think the Squad Link thing is going to kick off. As you say it'll take some pretty damn amazing rewards to get people to use it, and afaik, it requires you to have the person you're linking to on your friends list or in your clan, which can severely limit it's uses.

43 minutes ago, Auris40 said:

Mulling things about, I wondered if a token system would do the trick. Which would allow players to exchange the tokens for a reward package of their choice

So... You mean something like night wave credits? Hopefully with purchase options for things like universal medallions, rare resources/boosters, maybe even weapon and Warframe BPs?

22 minutes ago, TheKazz91 said:

So... You mean something like night wave credits? Hopefully with purchase options for things like universal medallions, rare resources/boosters, maybe even weapon and Warframe BPs?

Yes, something like Nightwave Creds.
Eligible rewards would, from my PoV, be most things you could theoretical farm on the PoE or in the Orb Vallis, including Standing. The harder/longer it takes to get them normally the more they should cost in terms of credits.
Plus maybe some decorative items, like rail agent recruiting posters, ship models etc.
I dont have any illusion in that it would be/could be perfectly balanced right away. It would like have to be carefully nudged again and again until a reward balance is found that gets people practicipating.

41 minutes ago, Stormandreas said:

As much as a token system would help... well anything in WF, DE seem firmly against such a system (for some reason), despite token systems being incredibly versatile and included in nearly every single MMO in the world.

Overall I don't think the Squad Link thing is going to kick off. As you say it'll take some pretty damn amazing rewards to get people to use it, and afaik, it requires you to have the person you're linking to on your friends list or in your clan, which can severely limit it's uses.

Well there are already token systems around. Nightwave, the "Dog Days" Summer Special this Year. Or let it be Standing with the Rail agents that can be exchanged for those packages. No matter what its called really, idea is basically the same.

23 minutes ago, Auris40 said:

Yes, something like Nightwave Creds.
Eligible rewards would, from my PoV, be most things you could theoretical farm on the PoE or in the Orb Vallis, including Standing. The harder/longer it takes to get them normally the more they should cost in terms of credits.
Plus maybe some decorative items, like rail agent recruiting posters, ship models etc.
I dont have any illusion in that it would be/could be perfectly balanced right away. It would like have to be carefully nudged again and again until a reward balance is found that gets people practicipating.

I was more saying that it's a lot more likely that instead of 3 guys showing up and trying to kill us and we get 50 night wave standing we would get one of these squad link objectives and then you get night wave standing

16 minutes ago, project_eulogy said:

This would be abused heavily by people with multiple accounts. Then those who don't abuse will end up getting in trouble for having multiple accounts.

How so?
From what could be seen so far, even when a ground team gets contacted (AND assuming Squad Link Events happen in predictable and regular manner at all that they can be "abused" in any way) the ship crew cant sit idly by while the ground team does their work.
Or have I overlooked something?

Edited by Auris40

18 minutes ago, TheKazz91 said:

I was more saying that it's a lot more likely that instead of 3 guys showing up and trying to kill us and we get 50 night wave standing we would get one of these squad link objectives and then you get night wave standing

Ah, hmm I dont see that working out. That would only work if they add PoE/Orb Vallis related items to the nightwave creds and overhaul the entire system and make all the nightwave rewards purchaseable with nightwave credits. Otherwise you would get plenty of items you are not farming for in the Nightwave Levels 1-30.
People usually (unless its a weekly objective) dont go to PoE/OV to farm nightwave standing but to farm something that the Plains/Vallis provides regularly. So that should be whats in the reward pool for the squad link, and with a choice on what to get, not randomly.

10 minutes ago, Auris40 said:

Ah, hmm I dont see that working out. That would only work if they add PoE/Orb Vallis related items to the nightwave creds and overhaul the entire system and make all the nightwave rewards purchaseable with nightwave credits. Otherwise you would get plenty of items you are not farming for in the Nightwave Levels 1-30.
People usually (unless its a weekly objective) dont go to PoE/OV to farm nightwave standing but to farm something that the Plains/Vallis provides regularly. So that should be whats in the reward pool for the squad link, and with a choice on what to get, not randomly.

Oh I agree completely but DE is somewhat notorious for giving lack luster rewards that are unrelated to what you actually want to be doing... 

35 minutes ago, Auris40 said:

How so?
From what could be seen so far, even when a ground team gets contacted (AND assuming Squad Link Events happen in predictable and regular manner at all that they can be "abused" in any way) the ship crew cant sit idly by while the ground team does their work.
Or have I overlooked something?

I guess I read Squad-Link as people on your friends list or people you've referred. Like something similar to Multiboxing WoW/EQ/MMOs where people create multiple accounts to reap benefits that required a squad/team. ie: trying to cheat the system to get rewards.

2 minutes ago, project_eulogy said:

I guess I read Squad-Link as people on your friends list or people you've referred. Like something similar to Multiboxing WoW/EQ/MMOs where people create multiple accounts to reap benefits that required a squad/team. ie: trying to cheat the system to get rewards.

Yeah, as said, problem with that would be that it SEEMS that she ships crew cant sit idly by and wait for the ground team to fullfill their objective, they still have to defend themself while waiting.
And it would recquire the squadlink events to be something that happens every 1-5 missions with a reliable certainty to be exploitable.

That said, I understand what you mean, if it would be exploitable or not would depend on those factors and also if they make it dependend on the friendlist at all.
It seems to be a lot of work to exploit something that could be gathered by farming and would just shave some time off what is normally spend farming.