Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Zephyr still crashes into walls/ceilings with her 1st ability

Junk_Lover

As the title says. If you use your first ability in small areas - you still get stuck  in animation when you hit the walls. And even if the animation is cancelled - inertia still locks you in place for few seconds. Or if you hit the door/wall next to the door - you gonna fly in trough the door  and inertia will keep you moving forward. Wouldn't it be much, much better just to make it so she would do a slam attack if she would hit the object? Like Gauss if he hits the object with his 1st ability: Zephyr would make a small or big AOE zone that would ragdoll enemies away from her? This would cancel animation quickly and stop her from moving forward.

Lightweight

ZephyrIcon272 Zephyr is significantly lighter in comparison to other Warframes, dramatically altering her airborne physics. Specifically, she descends slower and has improved aerodynamics which can be used to control her midair movement with greater ease and agility.

her 1 keeps the inertia as she wasnt designed to have gauss 1 ability to crash into object an make the kinetic shockwave.
now combine with her passive making using her in small maps can be quite hard.

But would be nice her 1 would stop the inertia once she crashes into a object minus the kinteic shockwave as they can use abit of what they used on gauss.

im not disagreeing just putting up some info to show im with you on your idea

Also - it would be nicer if she would have longer aim glide time and had some more bonuses while she's in the air. Like maybe...bonus damage on weapons? For example - she gets more bonus damage to her weapon damage the higher she is over the enemy.
I've installed Aero Vantage(reduces gravity) and Patagium (+ time on AIm Glide and Wall Latch) and just slowly soar over the enemies - it's pretty fun! Give her an AoE weapon like Acceltra - and it's sooooo much fun to play as her. You can even soar in big rooms and still enjoy it, shooting rockets at enemies down below! She's supposed to be all about  being in the air most of the time, flying and stuff - and...almost none of this is used. Yeah, the 1st ability lets you fly at huge speed in one direction - but how many Zephyrs you've seen use it? It's too hard to control and only usable in open areas - meanwhile 80-85% of the game still happens in the closed spaces. The aim glide potential on her is massive! And you can use it in the closed spaces and open spaces!

What would be nice is if Tailwind were given a functional overhaul as players of her have been asking for since 2016... I’ll rant on that later...

But. There is a working solution for this specific problem, the momentum sticking you in place is cancelled by using a Wall Cling or Wall Run. Simply hit Aim while you’re against the surface instead of trying to fight your controls.

It takes a little getting used to, but it does speed the process up enough to matter.

The animation cancelling was the first step on the actual changes that long term players wanted to make, but it relied on the follow-up changes to actually be relevant. If those aren’t put in... the ability will always have this problem.

On 2019-09-19 at 5:43 PM, (NSW)Junk_L0ver said:

As the title says. If you use your first ability in small areas - you still get stuck  in animation when you hit the walls. And even if the animation is cancelled - inertia still locks you in place for few seconds. Or if you hit the door/wall next to the door - you gonna fly in trough the door  and inertia will keep you moving forward. Wouldn't it be much, much better just to make it so she would do a slam attack if she would hit the object? Like Gauss if he hits the object with his 1st ability: Zephyr would make a small or big AOE zone that would ragdoll enemies away from her? This would cancel animation quickly and stop her from moving forward.

DE "LOVES THAT MECHANIC" archwing has it, rhino has it, rebnit has it and anything that moves forward with speed has it....crash into a wall and sit there stuck to it is fascinating and fun.

Right, now that I've had a little time, I'll dig up the pitch I've been making for Tailwind since... about two weeks after they changed it in early 2018;

Spoiler

First; Tailwind.

Tailwind does not work in confined spaces. We know this.

Tailwind is modded using Duration for Travel Time and Speed, thus Distance, and so 'confined spaces' can actually be considered 'anywhere in the tile sets' or 'anywhere that's not The Plains of Eidolon or The Orb Vallis' if you have a long Duration.

And that's a really bad state to be in. I really dislike the fact that the one saving grace of an iconic ability is 'well it's good on the landscapes'. And the funny thing is that this problem existed before the rework, and we can clearly see it persists after.

The simple fact is that while the dash is actually not all that bad, there is no way to stop. Unless you want a total stop that's triggered only by being within 1m of the ground when you finish the animation or by a wall when you use Parkour Wall Cling/Run. Seeing as the animation alone can last long enough to hurtle you off the map, imparting Momentum that can then fling you back off the map while you're re-spawning, and even do it a third time if that first respawn was close enough to the skybox... this needs to be fixed.

And it can be fixed simply.

1. Remove the Animation. The pose for Zephyr is definitely fun, but if you even glance against scenery with it, you skitter along that surface like a firework. Removing the animation will still mean that you point yourself in a direction and launch that way, but you can then react if that direction was not ideal. You can also use her Passive of low gravity and in-air steering to actually affect your course somewhat, turning a straight dash into something capable of curves. And everyone likes curves. The current function of cancelling the animation when you hit a wall is not enough, as it still means you're trapped in that animation until you hit something.

2. Disconnect the modding from Duration. We mod for long Duration, it helps Turbulence and Tornado both, and there is never really a time when you ever want to drop Duration. What is variable on Zephyr is Range and Strength. A high Range build promotes better Turbulence defense, while a high Strength build promotes better damage through Tornado and one of the more unique Augments in the game; Jet Stream (no other ability adds Flight Speed to your weapons, it's very useful if used right).

So when you want to accelerate into the air, use Range. When you want to bound through the air with the Momentum of the cast, use Strength. A high Range with a low Strength produces a long dash that slows down at the end so you can slow-fall or avoid walls or sliding into corners, and utilise the Wall Run/Cling to stay mobile indoors. A low Range with a high Strength makes you quickly launch into the sky for a short distance, but then travel on your Momentum at full speed. A neutral Range and neutral Strength will give you a normal-length dash into the sky at a controllable speed, and the Momentum after will leave you at a little faster than Sprinting speed so you can enjoy your hang-time.

That's it, Tailwind wouldn't need anything else. A variable length dash with a variable amount of momentum attached to it, which would let players customise Tailwind to their desired location or play style, and not interfere at all with the Duration of Turbulence or Tornado.

As an addition, the augment needs to be changed up. As Tailwind is, and even if we buff the base ability and the augment at the same time, Target Fixation has... absolutely no value as an augment. It does not play into any method we use against enemies with Zephyr. Changing this to affect, for example, the Hover portion of Tailwind would mean that my next portion (fixing Hover) would have more relevance, improving damage based on being in your Hover as a 'sniper perch' (DE's words from the Rework reveal) would be a more functional Augment.

Next; Hover.

This ability is slow. This ability is grounded. This ability requires three seconds of charge time to get the full effects out of. So Zephyr, the most mobile and air-friendly frame next to Helicopter Titania, has to spend time on the ground, charging up an ability that lets her stop still and... do nothing noticeable... in the air for a few seconds.

While I love the fact that DE took the time to put in a Hover, because so many players wanted it (of which I was not one of them, sorry), I have to question this implementation.

Make it mobile! Don't make us squat and try to squeeze out our lifting gas here.

1. Change the charge-up to a Hold. I hate tap/hold mechanics, but that's better than a full hold-to-charge. Press for a half second and Zephyr leaps up to hover.

2. Make the Hover have a base time that's then modified by Duration, playing into our existing modding methods.

3. Let us cast it in the air so that we can hang in place. This will give us a brake in case we've over-egged the Tailwind. It will also allow us far better mobility overall, being able to Tailwind to a location and then Hover over it, dash to another location, and then Hover again. That would be incredibly fluid and dynamic, both on the Landscapes and in the Tile Sets.

Seriously, I just want this feature you've added in to be useful for our Mobility, instead of counter to it.

Third; Dive Bomb.

I'm sorry, DE, it's time to put this old dog down. I was, and to a degree still am, one of the biggest advocates of making Dive Bomb a better ability in itself, and think that helping this cast would have been better than replacing it with Airburst, but since we have Airburst, I think it's better to work with that now.

Currently Dive Bomb is an Angle Differentiated ability cast. This messes with Tailwind quite a bit, it makes it clunky. We have no way of telling what will be a Dive Bomb and what won't because there's no visual indicator that shows where this boundary of looking down is. I've given up using Dive Bomb because 1-in-3 times when I attempt it, I Tailwind, and vice-versa there are many times when I want to Tailwind to a location that's below me on the map and I accidentally Dive Bomb, killing my momentum and missing what I was aiming for.

It's genuinely time to let it go as a cast.

Put it in her Passive. A wise man pointed out that simply adding in a secondary Passive, where Melee Ground Slams get the Dive Bomb animation on Zephyr, and adds a small amount of damage to the attack based on height, would not only be a very cool visual, it would also play in to your new Melee 3.0 Directional Heavy Ground Slams. And, as a passive function, it can even allow Zephyr to use Melee Ground Slams without a melee weapon equipped, so she doesn't lose her quick 'get me down from here' function on missions like 'secondary/primary only' Sorties.

There's no down side to this idea, you un-clutter the Tailwind cast, give Zephyr something cool without it being very powerful, and Dive Bomb can finally just exist without being so arbitrary or in the way.

See, that's what, I feel, would actually save Tailwind. It needs something at least that in-depth to function.

But at the very least, the absolute least, making that Hover a mobile cast with potential to actually increase our mobility by being an air-brake? That's the specific fix she needs.

I also have plenty of ideas for Airburst and Tornado, too, but that's not too relevant to the thread.

• Like 1

I obtained and leveled Zephyr and Zephyr Prime the other day. While I don't have as much experience with them as other players do, I share the grievances described in this thread. I wholeheartedly second the proposal that Birdframe put forward. Those changes would significantly improve Zephyr's ergonomics.