Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Using Injectors -- Sweetfx

xxx7

Question

Thought I'd re-write this post since a lot has been answered, solved, etc. and make a single go-to post for quick overview. This thread is about the use of SweetFX for Warframe. Thanks to some very helpful Tenno -- mainly sushidubya, Koyamina, RedDirtTrooper, CeePee, and RawGritz -- we now have a complete set-up guide!

Great news everyone: Thanks to U14, Warframe is now compatible with SweetFX in DX11! No more "half-half-grey-glitch"!

IS IT LEGAL?

So, first things first: Can the use of a graphical/shader injector mod ban you? Answer is

Nope, you're good.

and can be found here posted by no one else but DE_Steve himself: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/34366-update-781/page-5#entry314666

WHAT'S IT FOR?

Alright, with that out of the way, what does it actually do? Well, in short it enhances the graphics, mainly by sharpening and eliminating the blurries caused by Warframe's FXAA. Here are some comparison shots. Removed pics. Might post a more extreme setting to better showcase the difference ("it's hard to put a movie in an image").

INSTALL GUIDE

How do I get and install it? I suggest you follow sushidubya's step-by-step guide here. Please note that for non-Steam users your install directory will be

/Warframe/Downloaded/Public

instead of

/Steam/SteamApps/commons/Warframe

OK. I got a couple of PMs from the other posters in this thread. So if you guys read earlier I recommended to try the "sharp and clean" setting at this link:

http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/445/

on that link he refers people to download a certain build of sweetFX here:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4581604&postcount=528

All I did was take the files like in this image here:

1.jpg

and copied them to my install folder (it varies depending on if you used steam or original installer) but basically the folder where Warframe.exe is located. The folder should look like this after you copy the files:

2.jpg

So on that first link I have referred you guys to the "sharp and clean" page looks like this:

3.jpg

Download the text file by clicking "download preset" then take that text file and copy to the warframe install directory:

4.jpg

It should look like the picture above when you're done. you're going to delete the original "SweetFX_Settings" file. After that you're going to take the "SweetFX_Settings_Warframe_Sharp and clean.txt" file and rename it to "SweetFX_Settings" exactly like the original file.

To make sure it's installed correctly there's a way to make half the screen work with SweetFX and the other half not. So you can verify it's running. Open that text file and you should see this:

5.jpg

Change the number 0 that I highlighted in red to a 1 then save the txt file.

Open the warframe launcher and make sure you're using 32bit. You should see a dramatic difference between the right side of the screen (SweetFX active) vs the left side which is normal.

Good luck and enjoy!

Important

If you want to use WF in 64bit mode, just copy the files (d3d9.dll and dxgi.dll) in the SweetFx_64 folder and replace the one in the WarFrame main folder. Make backup of the original file in case you wanna use 32bit later.

If you keep crashing when using the 64bit version, close all overlay you have like Fraps/TS3 overlay. You can run Fraps after the game has been launched. (Thanks for reminding me, Alif. Don't know why I forgot to add this)

I'll keep this updated and will try to add as much as possible. Feedback, questions, etc. welcome!

NOTES:

SMAA does not seem to work with Nvidia cards. SMAA does work on Nvidia cards. If you can't see any difference try lowering the SMAA threshold (I put it on 0.08 along with lowering LumaSharpen to 2.30). Also, be sure to turn off in-game AA or it won't work!

The 64bit version has been tested and found to work on both Nvidia and AMD/ATI cards.

SweetFx is now 100% compatible with Warframe in DX11 mode, thanks to U14!

Presets:

Here is a collection of presets made for Warframe by the community. Pick to your liking!

My own version of "sharp and clean"

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=2582421

sushidubya's "latest and greatest"

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=2270098

RawGritz's settings

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=2147335

RawGritz's alt version

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=3096302

GunerXX's settings

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=2018307

"Detailed Warframe v3.2 x64"

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=2117363

Original post:

Now I know there have been various talks about this in the past, but not one of them actually answered this question. I tried contacting the DEvs, but they seem busy reading old PMs XD.

So, on to the question: Is the use of graphical/shader injector mods (read SweetFX) allowed to use for Warframe? I'd really like to use it for LumaSharpen, SMAA, and perhaps some color tint changes.

If anyone has an answer to this, please do post and include source if possible. Thanks!

Edited by xxx7

There's currently no way for me to have DirectX11 enabled and SweetFX together.

I am running Warframe off Steam and using the 64 bit version enabled

I want to use this preset: http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/1193/

Using the files from the above preset:

With DirectX 11 Enabled:   I get the half grey frame bug RawGritz got

With Direct X11 Disabled:  The bug dissapears and i can no longer Alternate Tab in and out of game (black screen when i try to go back in)

Using Boulotar Injector:

When i use the Boulotar Injector, Nothing happens, no effects whatsoever when i split screen

Using RedDirtTrooper's Link:

When i use RedDirtTroopers Link: https://www.facebook.com/download/403124456458011/SweetFX%2BEFX%20Beta%20win%208.1.rar

I can run the game with SweetFX and DX11, but it crashes and Freezes intermittently (once per mission).

Only Alternative:

The best solution for me is to run this: http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/1193/

With DX11 disabled and Windowed Full Screen

I'm lucky that i have a beefy computer that can run at max settings with SweetFx and in Borderless Windowed mode at 60fps... but i would prefer to run it in full winddows for even better performance.

Question:

- Is there anyway i can run this preset with DX11 and SweetFX without the Half Grey Warframe bug?

- Are there any more injectors i can try?

- What exactly do i lose out graphically when i disable DX11?  I noticed that the fogs and smoke look more flat...

Edited by s3raphim99

There's currently no way for me to have DirectX11 enabled and SweetFX together.

I am running Warframe off Steam and using the 64 bit version enabled

I want to use this preset: http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/1193/

Using the files from the above preset:

With DirectX 11 Enabled:   I get the half grey frame bug RawGritz got

With Direct X11 Disabled:  The bug dissapears and i can no longer Alternate Tab in and out of game (black screen when i try to go back in)

Using Boulotar Injector:

When i use the Boulotar Injector, Nothing happens, no effects whatsoever when i split screen

Using RedDirtTrooper's Link:

When i use RedDirtTroopers Link: https://www.facebook.com/download/403124456458011/SweetFX%2BEFX%20Beta%20win%208.1.rar

I can run the game with SweetFX and DX11, but it crashes and Freezes intermittently (once per mission).

Only Alternative:

The best solution for me is to run this: http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/1193/

With DX11 disabled and Windowed Full Screen

I'm lucky that i have a beefy computer that can run at max settings with SweetFx and in Borderless Windowed mode at 60fps... but i would prefer to run it in full winddows for even better performance.

Question:

- Is there anyway i can run this preset with DX11 and SweetFX without the Half Grey Warframe bug?

- Are there any more injectors i can try?

- What exactly do i lose out graphically when i disable DX11?  I noticed that the fogs and smoke look more flat...

Indeed the 1/2 and 1/2 is the most annoying thing ever, I've been running using a build that Cpt Atroxium suggested earlier in this thread and run DX11 off and borderless fullscreen windowed.  I haven't tried what RedDirtTrooper suggested in post below yet, because I'm still at work, but they look promising:

Ya, you sound like you know what you are doing, but you know sweetfx. Sometimes it just doesn't do what you want it to. Sorry the boulotar injector didn't work for you. have you tried the 1.5.1 + efx injector beta? https://www.facebook.com/download/403124456458011/SweetFX%2BEFX%20Beta%20win%208.1.rar

I had to use it to get sweetfx working on Injustice when the Boulotar injector wouldn't work for that game.

Works great--without a hitch. NO MORE HALF AND HALF glitch!!!

Just dumped everything in the zip/.rar file into the main Warframe directory/folder in Steam. Now I'm off to play with the settings.

Thanks a ton!

Apparently it works!  So I'm really excited about trying it.  Thanks for sharing your results RawGritz.  Was the 1/2 and 1/2 glitch gone for good?  or did it come back?  (I had a situation where it went away for a few minutes then came right back lol!)

I'm glad to see this thread is alive and well.  =)

Edited by sushidubya

Works great--without a hitch. NO MORE HALF AND HALF glitch!!!

Just dumped everything in the zip/.rar file into the main Warframe directory/folder in Steam. Now I'm off to play with the settings.

Thanks a ton!

RawGritz.

My system is similar to yours: Nvidia 760 and Running on x64

I can run the same version of shaders as you with DX11 enabled using RedDirtTrooper's link, and the 1/2 and 1/2 glitch dissapeaers. But it freezes whenever i play a mission (usually in the middle or at the end)

Have you encounted the same problem?

Edited by s3raphim99

RawGritz.

I can run the same version of shaders as you with DX11 enabled using RedDirtTrooper's link, and the 1/2 and 1/2 glitch dissapeaers. But it freezes whenever i play a mission (usually in the middle or at the end)

Sorry it's not a direct reply to your question, but s3raphim99 can you tell me if the build in RedDirtTrooper's link is 32bit only?  or is it 64bit?

Hey Guys

Just getting to this today. I only ran 1 mission last night with Hydroid since his half and half is so stark-obvious. It was completely gone. I figure it will remain extinguished. It used to appear at the login screen and persist thougout, but only when I look at my Frame from different angles.

But it seems to be gone now and the new setting have enhanced features, textures and shaders so the look is even better... Turning it off just makes default look incredibly blurry after these.

Screenshots and new settings file coming momentarily.

-Gritz

Hey Guys

Just getting to this today. I only ran 1 mission last night with Hydroid since his half and half is so stark-obvious. It was completely gone. I figure it will remain extinguished. It used to appear at the login screen and persist thougout, but only when I look at my Frame from different angles.

But it seems to be gone now and the new setting have enhanced features, textures and shaders so the look is even better... Turning it off just makes default look incredibly blurry after these.

Screenshots and new settings file coming momentarily.

-Gritz

Very nice! is this running on 64 bit too?

RawGritz.

have you checked the sweetfx log file after one of these crashes?

Oh, and just a FYI, the no alt+tabbing unless in borderless windowed mode thing is an incredibly common issue with sweetfx. Fishing around with alternate sweetfx setups is the only option.

Have you tried installing radeonpro, and using their built in sweetfx+injector?

Oh, and just a FYI, the no alt+tabbing unless in borderless windowed mode thing is an incredibly common issue with sweetfx. Fishing around with alternate sweetfx setups is the only option.

Have you tried installing radeonpro, and using their built in sweetfx+injector?

BTW... I've only seen that issue with the 32bit version.

Also for nvidia users... RadeonPro crashes GeForce Experience so Shadowplay does not operate correctly and so forth.

Edited by RawGritz

New SweetFX 1.5.1 + EFX Injector screens.

- x64.exe

- DirectX 11

- MSI Afterburner running

- In-Game AA-off

- Half-n-Half textures eliminated!! No more half grey textures.

View in fullscreen for best effect. Native Resolution is 2560 x 1600.

6CG3dMY.jpg

BkS7Mtv.jpg

oWUuMxB.jpg

Dh9nVW9.jpg

jqLGDwk.jpg

Still playing with Bloom, Vibrance, Gamma and Saturation.

*Many thanks to RedDirtTrooper for the link to the new SweetFX 1.5.1+EFX shader+textures package.

-Gritz

Edited by RawGritz

Ok I keep getting this crash as per the log file

2014-07-08 18:57:11 | FATAL | GENERAL | An unhandled exception occured:

ExceptionCode 0
ExceptionAddress 000000013FA1C5CB

Any insight?
Edited by RawGritz

Sorry it's not a direct reply to your question, but s3raphim99 can you tell me if the build in RedDirtTrooper's link is 32bit only?  or is it 64bit?

Hi Sushi, it's 64bit. The file in RedDirt's link loks beautiful with DX11 on, but I keep freezing in the middle of every single mission I run.

have you checked the sweetfx log file after one of these crashes?

Hi RedDirt, i have not checked the logs yet, will reinstall the injectors u recommended again when i go home tonight.  What a pity.. the game looks so beautiful.. but the freezes. Sigh..

This sounds exciting guys! My apologies for not staying on top of all this, but I'm extremely busy with work etc...if there is anything I should add to/update the original post, please, do give me a shout!

Again, good job on keeping this going and all the help guys :D

Hi Sushi, it's 64bit. The file in RedDirt's link loks beautiful with DX11 on, but I keep freezing in the middle of every single mission I run.

Hi RedDirt, i have not checked the logs yet, will reinstall the injectors u recommended again when i go home tonight.  What a pity.. the game looks so beautiful.. but the freezes. Sigh..

Hey!  I'm having the same issue with the freezing..  BUT!!!

I went into the "efx.ini" file and found this setting which I disabled, because I read the EFX log and it said something about "fatal blah blah blah" so look in the text you should find something like this:

[EFFECT]
; -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; effect_enabled (boolean): Switch to change start behaviour of the post processing effects.
; effect_file (string)    : Define an unlimited number of shaders to be loaded here.
;                        Create new lines like "effect_file[...]=[path]" to add more.
; -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

effect_enabled=false

make sure you change the value from true to false.  I ran like 2 missions without crashing.  Those were sabotages only.  So no real testing with survival etc.

Try it out and lemme know if it works out.

EDIT!!!  I'm still crashing with EFX disabled, but I just tried disabling "chromatic abberation" in the sweetFX settings.txt and I will report back after some testing.

This sounds exciting guys! My apologies for not staying on top of all this, but I'm extremely busy with work etc...if there is anything I should add to/update the original post, please, do give me a shout!

Again, good job on keeping this going and all the help guys :D

ZOMG I finally have full screen, alt-tabbing, DX11 with no 1/2 grey glitch xxx7!!!

A real big thanks to RedDirtTrooper...  As posted above I still have to test more for crashing, etc. but the results look very promising.

Edited by sushidubya

Hey!  I'm having the same issue with the freezing..  BUT!!!

I went into the "efx.ini" file and found this setting which I disabled, because I read the EFX log and it said something about "fatal blah blah blah" so look in the text you should find something like this:

[EFFECT]
; effect_enabled (boolean): Switch to change start behaviour of the post processing effects.
; effect_file (string)    : Define an unlimited number of shaders to be loaded here.
;                        Create new lines like "effect_file[...]=[path]" to add more.

effect_enabled=false

make sure you change the value from true to false.  I ran like 2 missions without crashing.  Those were sabotages only.  So no real testing with survival etc.

Try it out and lemme know if it works out.

EDIT!!!  I'm still crashing with EFX disabled, but I just tried disabling "chromatic abberation" in the sweetFX settings.txt and I will report back after some testing.

ZOMG I finally have full screen, alt-tabbing, DX11 with no 1/2 grey glitch xxx7!!!

A real big thanks to RedDirtTrooper...  As posted above I still have to test more for crashing, etc. but the results look very promising.

Still crashing with those disabled too

Man, I wish I had a solution for you guys, but we may just have to wait until version 1.6 and the new non beta EFX injector. I have zero crashes with the Boulotar injector version, but I can not alt+tab while using it unless I run in windowed fullscreen mode. I've just learned to live with it and use the steam overlay if I need to look something up on the web while I'm in game most of the time, although I switch to windowed fullscreen mode if I am seriously multitasking. Let me try just grabbing my current setup complete and zipping it up for you guys to try. I run the steam version, so this just goes right inside of my warframe directory in steamapps\common. My launcher has directx 11 enabled, multithreading enabled, and 64 bit enabled. Well, every option in the launcher is enabled, although I doubt the download ones make any difference.

If you are running the non steam version, just extract it in the same directory as the x64 executable, then extract it all again in the tools folder. Having two copies of the stuff won't hurt anything.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xjzm9fhyazmf78u/Warframe.7z

somebody give that a try and see if they have any luck

Edited by RedDirtTrooper

Man, I wish I had a solution for you guys, but we may just have to wait until version 1.6 and the new non beta EFX injector. I have zero crashes with the Boulotar injector version, but I can not alt+tab while using it unless I run in windowed fullscreen mode. I've just learned to live with it and use the steam overlay if I need to look something up on the web while I'm in game most of the time, although I switch to windowed fullscreen mode if I am seriously multitasking. Let me try just grabbing my current setup complete and zipping it up for you guys to try. I run the steam version, so this just goes right inside of my warframe directory in steamapps\common. My launcher has directx 11 enabled, multithreading enabled, and 64 bit enabled. Well, every option in the launcher is enabled, although I doubt the download ones make any difference.

If you are running the non steam version, just extract it in the same directory as the x64 executable, then extract it all again in the tools folder. Having two copies of the stuff won't hurt anything.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xjzm9fhyazmf78u/Warframe.7z

somebody give that a try and see if they have any luck

Nope, still the same half and half bug for me :(