Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Using Injectors -- Sweetfx

xxx7

Question

Thought I'd re-write this post since a lot has been answered, solved, etc. and make a single go-to post for quick overview. This thread is about the use of SweetFX for Warframe. Thanks to some very helpful Tenno -- mainly sushidubya, Koyamina, RedDirtTrooper, CeePee, and RawGritz -- we now have a complete set-up guide!

Great news everyone: Thanks to U14, Warframe is now compatible with SweetFX in DX11! No more "half-half-grey-glitch"!

IS IT LEGAL?

So, first things first: Can the use of a graphical/shader injector mod ban you? Answer is

Nope, you're good.

and can be found here posted by no one else but DE_Steve himself: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/34366-update-781/page-5#entry314666

WHAT'S IT FOR?

Alright, with that out of the way, what does it actually do? Well, in short it enhances the graphics, mainly by sharpening and eliminating the blurries caused by Warframe's FXAA. Here are some comparison shots. Removed pics. Might post a more extreme setting to better showcase the difference ("it's hard to put a movie in an image").

INSTALL GUIDE

How do I get and install it? I suggest you follow sushidubya's step-by-step guide here. Please note that for non-Steam users your install directory will be

/Warframe/Downloaded/Public

instead of

/Steam/SteamApps/commons/Warframe

OK. I got a couple of PMs from the other posters in this thread. So if you guys read earlier I recommended to try the "sharp and clean" setting at this link:

http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/445/

on that link he refers people to download a certain build of sweetFX here:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4581604&postcount=528

All I did was take the files like in this image here:

1.jpg

and copied them to my install folder (it varies depending on if you used steam or original installer) but basically the folder where Warframe.exe is located. The folder should look like this after you copy the files:

2.jpg

So on that first link I have referred you guys to the "sharp and clean" page looks like this:

3.jpg

Download the text file by clicking "download preset" then take that text file and copy to the warframe install directory:

4.jpg

It should look like the picture above when you're done. you're going to delete the original "SweetFX_Settings" file. After that you're going to take the "SweetFX_Settings_Warframe_Sharp and clean.txt" file and rename it to "SweetFX_Settings" exactly like the original file.

To make sure it's installed correctly there's a way to make half the screen work with SweetFX and the other half not. So you can verify it's running. Open that text file and you should see this:

5.jpg

Change the number 0 that I highlighted in red to a 1 then save the txt file.

Open the warframe launcher and make sure you're using 32bit. You should see a dramatic difference between the right side of the screen (SweetFX active) vs the left side which is normal.

Good luck and enjoy!

Important

If you want to use WF in 64bit mode, just copy the files (d3d9.dll and dxgi.dll) in the SweetFx_64 folder and replace the one in the WarFrame main folder. Make backup of the original file in case you wanna use 32bit later.

If you keep crashing when using the 64bit version, close all overlay you have like Fraps/TS3 overlay. You can run Fraps after the game has been launched. (Thanks for reminding me, Alif. Don't know why I forgot to add this)

I'll keep this updated and will try to add as much as possible. Feedback, questions, etc. welcome!

NOTES:

SMAA does not seem to work with Nvidia cards. SMAA does work on Nvidia cards. If you can't see any difference try lowering the SMAA threshold (I put it on 0.08 along with lowering LumaSharpen to 2.30). Also, be sure to turn off in-game AA or it won't work!

The 64bit version has been tested and found to work on both Nvidia and AMD/ATI cards.

SweetFx is now 100% compatible with Warframe in DX11 mode, thanks to U14!

Presets:

Here is a collection of presets made for Warframe by the community. Pick to your liking!

My own version of "sharp and clean"

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=2582421

sushidubya's "latest and greatest"

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=2270098

RawGritz's settings

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=2147335

RawGritz's alt version

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=3096302

GunerXX's settings

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=2018307

"Detailed Warframe v3.2 x64"

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=2117363

Original post:

Now I know there have been various talks about this in the past, but not one of them actually answered this question. I tried contacting the DEvs, but they seem busy reading old PMs XD.

So, on to the question: Is the use of graphical/shader injector mods (read SweetFX) allowed to use for Warframe? I'd really like to use it for LumaSharpen, SMAA, and perhaps some color tint changes.

If anyone has an answer to this, please do post and include source if possible. Thanks!

Edited by xxx7

Inject dat code!

K97UPWP.gif

You know what? While this pic is funny and I understand the context, there's some truth to it.

Running SweetFX on Warframe for me it's almost as if the game is in an "altered state." Everything is ultra sharp now. lol. XD

Another observation guys. The link I posted here with the build that we're recommending with warframe has a default settings file:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4581604&postcount=528

I've been using that instead of the "sharp and clean" or "sotet" config files. There's a setting called film grain on it. So far I've been using a combination of SMAA, Lumasharpen, HDR, Filmgrain, DPX and Vibrance. While the visual fidelity (that is what the developers intended the game to look like) is pretty much gone, I've ended up with a really stylized version of Warframe that I can't keep my eyes off of.

XD

But yeah it seems the "sharp and clean" version of the text file is missing a couple of settings so it may be a good idea to note the specific values for the features you like, and then copy them over to the default file and try out some of the other features.

they will ban you 100%. no matter what "somebody" say.

i am active in many communities and in other game forums. there are some reports about scam support... yes. there are a LOT!

1) bans after crashes: garbage and nonsense ticket answers

2) they don't really check or understand logs: 100% ban and you can't even respond

i am active in many communities and in other game forums. there are some reports about scam support... yes. there are a LOT!

2) they don't really check or understand logs: 100% ban and you can't even respond

This is a graphical tweak. It works with Direct X and in no way impacts Warframe as a game or any of the code that's involved with the game. It's no different than upgrading the drivers for your graphics cards.

Please refer to the first page of this thread. Back in April another player asked DE_Steve if it was ok to use SweetFX and he replied that it's fine to do so:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/34366-update-781/?p=314666

None of us are cheating we just want to maximize our gaming experience visually here. (It's about as harmful as hooking up your PC to a surround sound system lol.)

How does this have anything to do with the thread? No one has gotten banned from Warframe by using SweetFX.

This is a graphical tweak. It works with Direct X and in no way impacts Warframe as a game or any of the code that's involved with the game. It's no different than upgrading the drivers for your graphics cards.

Please refer to the first page of this thread. Back in April another player asked DE_Steve if it was ok to use SweetFX and he replied that it's fine to do so:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/34366-update-781/?p=314666

None of us are cheating we just want to maximize our gaming experience visually here. (It's about as harmful as hooking up your PC to a surround sound system lol.)

i know what it is and what it do. and i know that A LOT people was banned and they used legit tweaks. and yes, i check this and other forums daily.

fact is: if your game crash you will be banned and you CANT EVEN DEFEND YOURSELF. you can lose your old account very easy!

players must be informed about it

i know what it is and what it do. and i know that A LOT people was banned and they used legit tweaks. and yes, i check this and other forums daily.

fact is: if your game crash you will be banned and you CANT EVEN DEFEND YOURSELF. you can lose your old account very easy!

players must be informed about it

Again, may I remind you to read my original post as others have suggested? If you read carefully you'll notice this is the first thing I address: Legality. I appreciate your concern for the well being of other players (no sarcasm), but I honestly don't think you really know what it does and how it does it. This is actually not even a concern if we have the green light from DE_Steve!

Again, may I remind you to read my original post as others have suggested? If you read carefully you'll notice this is the first thing I address: Legality. I appreciate your concern for the well being of other players (no sarcasm), but I honestly don't think you really know what it does and how it does it. This is actually not even a concern if we have the green light from DE_Steve!

that means nothing. he don't check (and understand?!) all logs. other people reply to tickets... 

you support some visual tweaks without care!!!

sweetfx has bugs and game may crash. most complains in topics was about ban after crash... and tickets are closed for no reason! you can't defend yourself etc.

my message was a warning and i am not here to trash talk about it.

don't use it... thats my message. even best anti cheat (or what ever) has bugs and humans are just humans.

that means nothing. he don't check (and understand?!) all logs. other people reply to tickets... 

sweetfx has bugs and game may crash. most complains in topics was about ban after crash... and tickets are closed for no reason! you can't defend yourself etc.

don't use it... thats my message. even best anti cheat (or what ever) has bugs and humans are just humans.

It's ok. We heard you. I was weary about using SweetFX for the same reasons. I got really bored with the game a couple weeks ago and decided to give it a go. Some people have been using it for months. Using SweetFX has breathed new life into the game for me.

I haven't had any crashes with it. Also, before SweetFX I've had crashes in Warframe several times.

About legitimate tweaks. What kind of legitimate tweaks are there in Warframe? I'm not talking about software like Fraps, etc. There really should be none right?

From what I understand the support team does check an account for suspicious activity. (ridiculous amounts of materials all of a sudden, infinite health, platinum, etc.) SweetFX doesn't affect any of this stuff. It's only impacting the way your graphics card handles "graphics" part of the game and adds some filters. Any crashes related to to that should be a result of the graphics driver conflicting with someone's SweetFX settings.

If someone gets banned because their graphics drivers have crashed... Then we have a serious problem.

Edited by sushidubya

that means nothing. he don't check (and understand?!) all logs.

So the developer doesn't know his own logs?

other people reply to tickets... you support some visual tweaks without care!!!

Erm...don't you think that accusation is somewhat out of the blue?

sweetfx has bugs and game may crash.

It "may". However, it never crashed for me nor anyone else in this thread or that I know of.

most complains in topics was about ban after crash...

Would you care to point out these cases, please? You keep referring to them...

and tickets are closed for no reason! you can't defend yourself etc.

[facepalm]

Like I said, I appreciate your cautiousness, but really? If we can't go by what a DEv said, then what can we in this game?!

Perhaps it'd be time for a mod to show up before this gets out of hand O_o

I have been using it for the entire time I have played Warframe. All the way to the rank 10-11 test, and owning almost every weapon and every warframe in the game. I have crashed multiple times while using it. Warframe just likes to crash for no damn reason. I have never had even a temp ban, and I have hundreds upon hundreds of hours in game using SweetFX. You are being a fear monger with no facts to back yourself up.

I can see you have no idea how SweetFX works, or how the support in this game works.

Yes, people have gotten banned from running programs that alter the memory or game files. SweetFX does nothing like that and the automatic ban system Warframe has doesn't track any of the methods SweetFX uses to enhance our gameplay. This has been stated by the actual guys that coded the damn ban system.

I'm going to explain this with simple, basic terms. SweetFX is basically a layer you put on your screen, through which the game looks better. It does not alter any game files or memory caches. Without going too much into technical stuff, that's basically what the tweak does.

Stating that you're not here to trash talk is like shooting someone and then telling you didn't know it would hurt.

SweetFX is safe, for your Warframe account, for your GPU and for your PC. I'm not going to say SweetFX doesn't get you banned from other games, but Warframe is not one of those games.

So please don't come mongering fear without any actual facts, install SweetFX and enjoy the game. Peace.

Question: Does it consume more FPS?

I will try and do some more in-depth research on this, but I can't tell any difference FPS wise on my GTX560Ti. This of course, may be a different story on e.g. a laptop.

::Edit::

Grammar...

Edited by xxx7

I will try and do some more in-depth research in this, but I can't tell any difference FPS wise on my GTX560Ti. This of course, may be a different story on e.g. a laptop.

Yeah i have an average laptop. I want the SweetFX, but i can't spare more FPS.

Edited by lronPatriot

@IronPatriot I got crazy and started running SweetFX on my Thinkpad X230 (yes Intel HD4000 gfx FTW!!!) and it still works alright. The only settings I have enabled for that are Lumasharpen, Vibrance, DPX and film grain. Enabling SMAA was too slow to play on. (not my main rig, just for when i'm travelling.)

881901_622187467822086_815745878_o.jpg

(Yup that's Intel integrated graphics.)

Please tell us a bit more about your graphics setup on your laptop. If you're using a relatively new machine with a dedicated graphics card, the overhead from running SweetFX is relatively small.

There are a couple settings to get the max benefit of running it, while there are others which are nice, but performance hogs which you can't really notice in this fast paced game.

Edited by sushidubya

Well i'm not that involved into pc specs and i don't get half the terminology you used xD, but My pc is almost 2 years old with default everything. I have updated my graphics card and run warframe about steady 30 fps.

Well do you have a model number on your laptop? (your first post was about a laptop)

On the integrated graphics I'm using on my laptop I really only have coloring/sharpening effects enabled, so I don't notice any change at all in FPS. But my integrated graphics are really weak compared to having a dedicated card. If you're running a machine with what's known as a "discrete" graphics card or a dedicated graphics card. Chances are you won't notice a big change in FPS from using SweetFX.

Edited by sushidubya

I followed the tutorial and everything and i lost about 10 frames. I need a better rig i guess D:

If you're on a system with a weaker GPU (like in my laptop)having both in game anti-aliasing and SMAA enabled may be too much for your system to handle.

I chose to stick with the original game's anti-aliasing and disabled the SMAA function from within the SweetFX settings txt file. So I still got the richer colors and sharpening with very little performance cost.

Try tinkering around with the settings text file. Make sure you save a copy of the original one before you make changes.

Here's a tip. You can change SweetFX settings while your game is active (I suggest you do this in solo mode, because you can't pause co-op games) by simply Alt-Tab'ing out of the game and then editing the text file and saving it. When you switch back to the game the new settings should be applied. This will save you allot of time from logging off and logging back on again, starting another match, etc. I did notice that enabling SMAA and disabling SMAA while in game does cause Warframe to crash, so don't go changing that one while it's running.

=)

I followed the tutorial and everything and i lost about 10 frames. I need a better rig i guess D:

And here comes the beauty of using SweetFX, it it doesn't suit you then you can just remove it and you wasted nothing but time :)

SweetFX has minimal impact on your fps if your GPU isn't already being under stress. For me SweetFX has no real impact on the fps.

Quoting my clan mate:

I'm using GT635M which is a medium level graphic card. So far no noticeable fps drop or anything.

So yes, it even works well on laptops, but it gets really critical there. As CeePee pointed out, integrated graphics (or even low-end dedicated) will not be able to handle this without FPS impact.