Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Using Injectors -- Sweetfx

xxx7

Question

Thought I'd re-write this post since a lot has been answered, solved, etc. and make a single go-to post for quick overview. This thread is about the use of SweetFX for Warframe. Thanks to some very helpful Tenno -- mainly sushidubya, Koyamina, RedDirtTrooper, CeePee, and RawGritz -- we now have a complete set-up guide!

Great news everyone: Thanks to U14, Warframe is now compatible with SweetFX in DX11! No more "half-half-grey-glitch"!

IS IT LEGAL?

So, first things first: Can the use of a graphical/shader injector mod ban you? Answer is

Nope, you're good.

and can be found here posted by no one else but DE_Steve himself: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/34366-update-781/page-5#entry314666

WHAT'S IT FOR?

Alright, with that out of the way, what does it actually do? Well, in short it enhances the graphics, mainly by sharpening and eliminating the blurries caused by Warframe's FXAA. Here are some comparison shots. Removed pics. Might post a more extreme setting to better showcase the difference ("it's hard to put a movie in an image").

INSTALL GUIDE

How do I get and install it? I suggest you follow sushidubya's step-by-step guide here. Please note that for non-Steam users your install directory will be

/Warframe/Downloaded/Public

instead of

/Steam/SteamApps/commons/Warframe

OK. I got a couple of PMs from the other posters in this thread. So if you guys read earlier I recommended to try the "sharp and clean" setting at this link:

http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/445/

on that link he refers people to download a certain build of sweetFX here:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4581604&postcount=528

All I did was take the files like in this image here:

1.jpg

and copied them to my install folder (it varies depending on if you used steam or original installer) but basically the folder where Warframe.exe is located. The folder should look like this after you copy the files:

2.jpg

So on that first link I have referred you guys to the "sharp and clean" page looks like this:

3.jpg

Download the text file by clicking "download preset" then take that text file and copy to the warframe install directory:

4.jpg

It should look like the picture above when you're done. you're going to delete the original "SweetFX_Settings" file. After that you're going to take the "SweetFX_Settings_Warframe_Sharp and clean.txt" file and rename it to "SweetFX_Settings" exactly like the original file.

To make sure it's installed correctly there's a way to make half the screen work with SweetFX and the other half not. So you can verify it's running. Open that text file and you should see this:

5.jpg

Change the number 0 that I highlighted in red to a 1 then save the txt file.

Open the warframe launcher and make sure you're using 32bit. You should see a dramatic difference between the right side of the screen (SweetFX active) vs the left side which is normal.

Good luck and enjoy!

Important

If you want to use WF in 64bit mode, just copy the files (d3d9.dll and dxgi.dll) in the SweetFx_64 folder and replace the one in the WarFrame main folder. Make backup of the original file in case you wanna use 32bit later.

If you keep crashing when using the 64bit version, close all overlay you have like Fraps/TS3 overlay. You can run Fraps after the game has been launched. (Thanks for reminding me, Alif. Don't know why I forgot to add this)

I'll keep this updated and will try to add as much as possible. Feedback, questions, etc. welcome!

NOTES:

SMAA does not seem to work with Nvidia cards. SMAA does work on Nvidia cards. If you can't see any difference try lowering the SMAA threshold (I put it on 0.08 along with lowering LumaSharpen to 2.30). Also, be sure to turn off in-game AA or it won't work!

The 64bit version has been tested and found to work on both Nvidia and AMD/ATI cards.

SweetFx is now 100% compatible with Warframe in DX11 mode, thanks to U14!

Presets:

Here is a collection of presets made for Warframe by the community. Pick to your liking!

My own version of "sharp and clean"

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=2582421

sushidubya's "latest and greatest"

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=2270098

RawGritz's settings

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=2147335

RawGritz's alt version

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=3096302

GunerXX's settings

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=2018307

"Detailed Warframe v3.2 x64"

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=2117363

Original post:

Now I know there have been various talks about this in the past, but not one of them actually answered this question. I tried contacting the DEvs, but they seem busy reading old PMs XD.

So, on to the question: Is the use of graphical/shader injector mods (read SweetFX) allowed to use for Warframe? I'd really like to use it for LumaSharpen, SMAA, and perhaps some color tint changes.

If anyone has an answer to this, please do post and include source if possible. Thanks!

Edited by xxx7

I'm not sure what would be causing this but recently I've been getting this weird distortion on my warframes.  It's like the colors i apply to a certain part of their body will flicker from the color I chose, to grey.  It does that on all the warframes as far as I can tell.  Any idea what settings in Sweetfx would cause this issue?

I'm not sure what would be causing this but recently I've been getting this weird distortion on my warframes.  It's like the colors i apply to a certain part of their body will flicker from the color I chose, to grey.  It does that on all the warframes as far as I can tell.  Any idea what settings in Sweetfx would cause this issue?

Heya Rebel... I got that too. It's noticeable with Saryn in particular in the void. It has to do with SweetFX and I've messed with almost every setting in txt file to fix it to no avail.

The solution for me was to temporarily run in DX10. To be honest. Warframe still looks stunning in DX 10 with SweetFX. I attributed it to my relatively old ATI Radeon 5850 in crossfire. I don't know if any of the nVidia guys are having the same issue?

In my search yesteday I thought I ran across a newer 2.0 build of SweetFX I don't know if it's legit. But I may play around with that. If it fixes the lighting 1/2 greyed out flickering on the warframe issue I'll post here again.

Until then if you switch to DX10 (you miss out a little on some tesselation, that's about it) the flickering grey thing goes away.

=)

Edited by sushidubya

Heya Rebel... I got that too. It's noticeable with Saryn in particular in the void. It has to do with SweetFX and I've messed with almost every setting in txt file to fix it to no avail.

The solution for me was to temporarily run in DX10. To be honest. Warframe still looks stunning in DX 10 with SweetFX. I attributed it to my relatively old ATI Radeon 5850 in crossfire. I don't know if any of the nVidia guys are having the same issue?

In my search yesteday I thought I ran across a newer 2.0 build of SweetFX I don't know if it's legit. But I may play around with that. If it fixes the lighting 1/2 greyed out flickering on the warframe issue I'll post here again.

Until then if you switch to DX10 (you miss out a little on some tesselation, that's about it) and the flickering grey thing goes away.

=)

Awesome :D  Thanks for letting me know.

It's two particular filters in combination that do that for some people I believe, although I can't for the life of me remember which ones it is, I seem to remember lumasharpen and HDR, or one of those and SMAA, something like that.. I don't get this problem at all on an Nvidia GTX 650 ti boost running the 320.49 drivers, but I have heard of other people experiencing it.

Just messed around with the settings a bit. Only way I can reproduce that problem is by using black and white colors on Saryn. Everything else seems fine...I'll see if I can find out what's causing it.

Side note: Is there really a visual difference between DX9 and 11? If so doesn't seem to be much...

::Edit::

Also have the bug on Vauban.

Edited by xxx7

Does anyone know how to inject parts onto the hud, lets say an FPS counter or a different crosshair?

SweetFX is a graphical/shader injector...meaning all it does is add shaders on top of what is being displayed (correct me if I'm wrong). Albeit clever and results are fantastic, it does in no way modify game files.

If you want an FPS counter, I recommend installing FRAPS.

Does anyone know how to inject parts onto the hud, lets say an FPS counter or a different crosshair?

You could try using texmod to replace the crosshair, or any UI element really, but it's going to be some work, and it may get you banned, since nobody has ever asked DE if using it is ok. 

Edited by RedDirtTrooper

If any mods are reading this could we get some clarification? Also, besides texmod, does anyone else know of a good overlay for crosshairs? Id basically like to use the option in warframe to turn off the hud and then use a mod to overlay a new crosshair. Im really not a fan of the way damage numbers are drawn and would like to remove/change them. The only way I can think of is to just turn the hud off and overlay a new crosshair.

If any mods are reading this could we get some clarification? Also, besides texmod, does anyone else know of a good overlay for crosshairs? Id basically like to use the option in warframe to turn off the hud and then use a mod to overlay a new crosshair. Im really not a fan of the way damage numbers are drawn and would like to remove/change them. The only way I can think of is to just turn the hud off and overlay a new crosshair.

OK, let me rephrase: I believe you're in the wrong thread, Sir. SweetFX has nothing to do with any of this i.e. it can't do what you're asking, it wasn't made for this. This is purely a graphical enhancement mod.

I suggest you make a new thread for that question =)

Edited by xxx7

Guys I'm going to write DEMegan to see if we can get a sticky on this. =)

EDIT: Just messaged asking for the thread to be pinned. SweetFX has been stable for me so far and the performance difference is negligible. Hopefully we'll get it. An update on my side. I've been playing around with the settings and still trying to find my favorite. I'll be posting the txt file of my config settings and share it with you guys when I'm done tweaking it.

=)

Edited by sushidubya

Guys I'm going to write DEMegan to see if we can get a sticky on this. =)

EDIT: Just messaged asking for the thread to be pinned. SweetFX has been stable for me so far and the performance difference is negligible. Hopefully we'll get it. An update on my side. I've been playing around with the settings and still trying to find my favorite. I'll be posting the txt file of my config settings and share it with you guys when I'm done tweaking it.

=)

Going to vouch for stable performance, the game isn't very GPU heavy and SweetFX changes are mostly on the GPU.

honestly, the ones without injector look much better, anyway, I can tell from my experience with injectors in gta and skyrim that these mods are really bad for your PC's health, they cook graphics card to very high temperatures so I only used them for taking better screenshots. Dont recomend playing with them on all the time

honestly, the ones without injector look much better, anyway, I can tell from my experience with injectors in gta and skyrim that these mods are really bad for your PC's health, they cook graphics card to very high temperatures so I only used them for taking better screenshots. Dont recomend playing with them on all the time

Injectors and ENB's are a personal preference, hence the values are changeable, tune it to ones liking.

As for your "bad for PC health" comment, it's not true. My HD 7850 has never gone over 60 celcius which is the absolute max you can get out of the card after several hours of gameplay.

I've played hundreds of hours of ENB+sweetFX Skyrim and Fallout 3 and have had no issues.

If your GPU overheats from using an injector then the problem is somewhere else :)

Injectors and ENB's are a personal preference, hence the values are changeable, tune it to ones liking.

As for your "bad for PC health" comment, it's not true. My HD 7850 has never gone over 60 celcius which is the absolute max you can get out of the card after several hours of gameplay.

I've played hundreds of hours of ENB+sweetFX Skyrim and Fallout 3 and have had no issues.

If your GPU overheats from using an injector then the problem is somewhere else :)

This.

If you don't like my particular settings you can just use another one...mine is but one out of many, and customization is "endless". Hey, I mean you could use SweetFX for nothing but SMAA, no colors or filters! All up to you and how you want it.

I have also used SweetFX and ENB's for various programs for years with no problems whatsoever. Performance impact is minimal if at all (can't even tell a difference FPS wise many times). As far as overheating goes...running a GTX560Ti here and no sign of rising temperature.

This.

If you don't like my particular settings you can just use another one...mine is but one out of many, and customization is "endless". Hey, I mean you could use SweetFX for nothing but SMAA, no colors or filters! All up to you and how you want it.

I have also used SweetFX and ENB's for various programs for years with no problems whatsoever. Performance impact is minimal if at all (can't even tell a difference FPS wise many times). As far as overheating goes...running a GTX560Ti here and no sign of rising temperature.

SweetFX has minimal performance impacts, but ENB's in general eat up a lot of computing power. I just have to drop these beauties from my settings here to show the true power these modifications can do.

This is Fallout 3, vanilla in it's whole crudeness:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110518002838/fallout/images/e/e7/Lone_Wanderer-SMG.jpg

And these 2 are screenshots from my game, heavily modded to the max:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84703207/Screenshot119845.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84703207/Screenshot65678.png

I have about 400 hours into both Skyrim and Fallout 3 with ENB's running, so go ahead and punish your computer. If your temperatures get too high then get a better cooler ;)

Well, the screenshots show barely any difference at all.

Iv even end up running with several igname settings disabled (specially for voids... there is something up with their coding, memory leaks and such).
And the bright color fest and aoes etc with dynamic light and reflections in defenses/survivals and  similar just beg for a headache later.

And ofc i do get fps drops to 30-40 when maxed out (looks like warframe is a bit cpu intensive, something  i havent upgraded for a while VTX HD 7850 1gb  should NOT have problems wit ha game like that).

AA  for one  would be a good option -   i dont even know what kind of aa is used by default (can enable fxaa or smaa with sweetfx - less performance impact then most others).

Well, the screenshots show barely any difference at all.

Iv even end up running with several igname settings disabled (specially for voids... there is something up with their coding, memory leaks and such).

And the bright color fest and aoes etc with dynamic light and reflections in defenses/survivals and  similar just beg for a headache later.

And ofc i do get fps drops to 30-40 when maxed out (looks like warframe is a bit cpu intensive, something  i havent upgraded for a while VTX HD 7850 1gb  should NOT have problems wit ha game like that).

AA  for one  would be a good option -   i dont even know what kind of aa is used by default (can enable fxaa or smaa with sweetfx - less performance impact then most others).

Warframe uses FXAA, while being efficient it does make things look blurry. SweetFX helps counter that by making stuff sharper.

I agree the pictures posted don't really show what SweetFX does, it's a bit more clear with the screenshots I posted before.

The best effect you see is only by trying it yourself. The screenshots barely show any difference but once you're ingame the impact is massive. Everything looks so sharp and the colours are more vibrant and deeper, all this with no impact to your performance :)

To the OP, you can use my screenshots too to show the difference SweetFX makes. Quite frankly the title screen shots don't really show the difference.

Without: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84703207/Warframe/ss5.png

With sfx: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84703207/Warframe/ss5sfx.png

Without: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84703207/Warframe/ss6.png

With sfx: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84703207/Warframe/ss6sfx.png

The shadows are deeper, image is sharper and colours are a bit better.

Removed original screenshots. The settings used is fantastic in-game, though it has been specifically tailored for my monitor. Sorry if I confused anyone. I wanted to showcase the color and filter options, but that might just not be the right thing...

@CeePee: I'd love to use yours :3

Edited by xxx7

Does anyone else besides me not see a difference, I mean it might just be the fact that I play on one of the lowest qualities of graphics for warframe, but when I see HD I only see HD, not some "Oh this is without the SweetFX and my Nvidea FX is running at only 96.2% efficiency".

You can't make a minecraft cube into a round sphere by just using SweetFX, the strength of the effect varies on your settings. There seems to be very little effect if you use the colour correction setting, which I loath due to the colour choices.

Check my screenshots above, there's a clear difference.