Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbral Forma and who to spend it on?

Remedyheart

Question

Hi! 

My name is Remy and I'm a proud Khora main. See I have a dilema here. I'm sitting on Umbral Forma, currently have 2, and about to get a third one soon. The issue I have is, I cannot decide for the life of me who to spend that UForma on. I could spend it on my Khora, but she already has a delicate balance between three builds to handle most of the content ingame for me (D### you stealth missions!). She can tank, loot, CC, defend, be a minor support frame, and I even have a speedster build. (Forget that nasty crippling whip augment that requires 3 dozen forma for weapon, kavat, and Khora herself. When she can do so much more than nuke, which honestly mist other frames can do that better with much less effort and forma.)

So I'm complying a list of frames for Umbral usage. *Note most frames will be tanks. Why? Because they can handle higher leveled content much easier by having them scale through the roof of their limits. Whereas squishy frames only become even with the other tank frames (Un-umbralfied tanks mind you.) While barely being able to pull their weight when asked to do the same content as Umbrafied tanks.

1) Atlas - One Punch Man, nuff said.

2) Baruuk - Kung Fu Hustle baby!

3) Chroma - Dragon slayer? How about Dragon GOD?!

4) Gara - Why shatter worlds when you can shatter the universe?!

5) Garuda - Blood for the Blood God Garuda!

6) Gauss - Sup up this racer into a dragster!

7) Hildryn - Adding steriods to beef momma.

8 ) Inaros - Because more immortality!

9) Mesa - Giving Mccree infinite Nanoboost

10) Nezha - I'll make a maaaan out of yooouuu!

11) Nidus - Ever seen Graboids? Yeah. Imagine bigger.

12) Rhino - Adding wararmor to an actual rhino.

13) Valkyr - Move aside Wolverine!

14) Wukong - Because he needs a bigger stick to slam into bodies.

15) Frost - Remix of "Ice Ice baby" and "I'm too sexy."

Now these are the best warframes in the game that can utilize the UForma. By all means, go and forma the other frames, but the set really does cater to tank frames a lot more than squishier frames or frames who do not need so much defense.

Certain criteria is considered when maximising Umbral Forma. First are they already tanky? Can they utilize the extra ability strength of the set? Whereas certain frames, IMO, do not need UForma as that can hinder their playstyle. Frames that I deem unworthy fall into these categories.

[Stealth] - Why make stealth frames tanky if they can already avoid damage via stealth? Proper control and skill are required to make sure you don't get seen and thusly die. Finishers already deal a ton of damage and most stealth frames have barely any nuking power. Not to mention they are squishy. Examples: Loki, Ash, Ivara, Octavia

[Crowd Control] - These frames make a living controlling the battlefield. They require management and are usually squishy by nature to compensate. Some aren't even considered nuke capable. Control is what you need not more defense. EX: Vauban, Khora, Nyx, Zephyr

[Nukers] - Usually squishy frames that are better off killing quickly and efficently. Defense was never an option for these guys. It is just overkill and unecessary to make these frames "dps better" with the right control and proper builds. EX: Saryn, Ember, Mirage, Nova

[Squishy] - Most of the nontank frames fit here and let me explain why its a waste on them. To be a high level boxer you would need to not only hit hard, but you need to know how to take a hit. Now hitting hard is all good and dandy, but the dude who knows how to handle himself while getting hit will be the one who wins, because you're just a glass cannon. who goes down early in a fight.This is how high level content works and scales in warframe. No point in hitting harder if you cannot survive. And scaling your softer frame to the same level as a Rhino Prime does not mean you can handle better content. It only means you can handle Rhino Prime limited content unlike the Umbral Rhino Prime who is smoking you, surviving, and still packs a punch. EX: Mag, Limbo, Volt, Banshee

[Support] - These frames already have a bit of everything depending on the frame. They are more suited to supporting and helping others. As raids will one day return, I do not advise anyone to suddenly turn their support frames to Umbral builds. While they can use it they lack the capabilities of being as tanky as the other frames or have other builds that can be utilized that that UForma may hinder. EX: Oberon, Trinity, Equinox, Harrow

[All Rounder] - These frames have a bit of everything and therefore fall under everything wrong too. While they can use UForma, it really comes down to skill and control to how the frame handles high level content not so much their builds. EX: Wisp, Revenant, Nekros, Hydroid

[Other] - These have frames that seem to hinder the goal of Umbralfication or doing so kinda cripples gameplay. Such as Excalibur who is not really a tank has CC is a nuker and is at best a semi tank yet is slow to deal his dps compared to others. Titania who needs pixie form to even be on the same playing field as tanks this means you lose your weapon loadout and have to play archwing mode.

So on a side note, I wanted to ask a question and ended up making a "guide." Hopefully you guys can see my point and why I made the choices that I did. So help a brother out and tell me who you'd prefer to Umbralfy? I added the knowledge here to help you at least understand where I'm coming from. I may change up this post regard several factors. IE Grendel's affect on release and the incoming reworks for certain frames. Hell! I might even consider primes. So comment below and let me know your thoughts please!

Edited by Remedyheart

Personnaly i won't spend any umbral or aura forma on a vanilla frame. Too much grind for a frame i will replace anyway by its prime version.

No more than a few standard forma for me.

On a Prime though, i'm still hesitating. I think i will make a beast out of a Gara Prime, but she's not gonna come tomorrow, to say the least.

For now, as others said before, i'm quite happy with a Umbral Saryn. Big main, infinite satisfaction. Maybe i ll spend others on Valkyr and Frost, one day.

Three things to consider.

1. Do you like the frame and use the frame a lot.

2. Is there a prime variant, if not how long before you get a prime variant.

3. Do you actually need all 3 Umbral mods on that frame or build.(would be a waste to put Uforma on a frame that only use 2 of the 3 mods)

That's how you decide.

Edited by RunningChaos