Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rip Old Melees

azour

So that we're all (hopefully) talking about the same stuff I went ahead and ran some calculations comparing the Orthos Prime and Galatine using Spin's formula from here. Elemental/AP damage from mods was ignored since damage/armor revisions are upcoming. Numbers presented without comment because it makes me sad when I get accused of being a DE propagandist or whatever.

Mods factored into calculation (all at max rank): Reflex Coil, Killing Blow, Fury, Pressure Point, Focus Energy (charge speed only), Rending Strike (charge damage only)

Attack speed: OP 2.08/s, G 2.24/s
Effective charge speed (charge time + swing time, per Spin's formula): OP 0.73s, G 1.30s
Regular damage: OP 132, G 77
Charge damage: OP 620, G 1240

Regular DPS (regular damage x attack speed): OP 274.6, G 172.5 - OP is 59% better
Charge DPS (charge damage / effective charge speed): OP 848.4, G 956.5 - G is 13% better

This is for people saying that the Galatine will be the best, it is only slightly better then the Orthos Prime in terms of charge damage, while it gets completely outclassed by the Orthos Prime in terms of regular attacks. (Note that I am not the one that did the math on this so don't yell at me that I am wrong, yell at the person I am quoting.)

Orthos Prime = (200*(1.0/(0.5+(1.0/1.3))))=157.5758

Galatine = (400*(1.0/(1.7+(1.0/1.4))))=165.6804

The Galatine is barely better than the OPrime for charged spam (with a shorter range), and the OPrime completely demolishes it in regular-spam (again with better range).

saying that oroths prime is hard to get

Most of us do at first, but then learn that people will hate you for, say, using a Bo when you have a Reaper Prime.

Well, since Acrid and Kunai outclasses everything at this moment, melee can be pretty much considered more of a cosmetics then an actual weapon so who cares what melee I bring to the table? I frequently even level up my melee during T3 Void and nobody complains.

That is true only for crazy min-maxers that throw away fun for sake of math formulas. Some of us pick melee basing on personal preferences.

I love the look of the cronus and ceramic dagger (when will we have a dual cronus/ceramic? T.T), but using them in a high level map (which is 99% of what I play) means I'm signing my own death sentence.

Sad, but true...

Oh I know! SKIN EXCHANGE SYSTEM.

Dakra stats with the cronus skin.

Orthos Prime stats on my Scindo.

Soma stats on my braton vandal

DO IT NOW DE 

Some of us pick melee basing on personal preferences.

Wana know my personal preference for picking a melee weapon?

Most damage in 1 swing.

I used to have a few different choices; now I only have one.

I'm not worried anymore though, because chances are there will be a giant hammer with 500 charge damage within the year.

Don't see how.  Charge damage is half that of the Galatine.

Unless you're implying that people use heavy weapons to just swing around normally, which is dumb.

Why is it dumb to use regular swings on a heavy weapon? They can still stagger enemies with their regular swings, especially with max fury, you don't have to use charge swings. Otherwise why even bother putting a static mesh animation for regular swings?

Edited by __Kanade__

Cept, you can't compare a Melee weapon and a gun cuz a gun can maintain constant damage, where as a Melee weapon, it counts on a damage per swing. 

you can compare their damages. for instance total damage dealt per run etc. saying dps is just a wrong turn of phrase, but you can most definitely compare the damage because at some point your primary dps is gonna have to stop once the enemies are dead... so although it might seem sustained, its only burst damage in reality. the more time in between enemies and firing would drastically reduce the dps, so obviously you dont factor that time in, its the exact same as a melee weapon.

the comparison is how long it takes to kill a particular enemy

Yipee! Just what we needed.

A ridicolously cheap weapon with totally laughable mastery requirement that outclasses more or less any other melee in the game.

Built one for lulz (Anyone with more than 30 hours in the game has already cash and materials to build it), and I do like the looks. It looks at home near my Soma.

For posterity, I'm still bent on building the Dakra prime, screw min-maxing, I like spamming normal attacks.

you can compare their damages. for instance total damage dealt per run etc. saying dps is just a wrong turn of phrase, but you can most definitely compare the damage because at some point your primary dps is gonna have to stop once the enemies are dead... so although it might seem sustained, its only burst damage in reality. the more time in between enemies and firing would drastically reduce the dps, so obviously you dont factor that time in, its the exact same as a melee weapon.

the comparison is how long it takes to kill a particular enemy

My Mire owns in killing S#&$.