Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dread Mirror Fails to Block Certain Forms of Damage

Annnoth

Garuda's Dread Mirror has a pretty notably problem since release where certain types of damage are not blocked properly. Generally revolves around anything AoE. However, some instances of AoE attacks are blocked properly but are so few and far between with almost none of them being even remotely common attacks that it's easier to name attacks that do get blocked over ones that don't. Worse yet, many of these issues are only unique to garuda. Other barrier type abilities like volt's shield function perfectly.

Here's a quick sample of tests I performed on a small variety of enemies ranging from common to more uncommon appearances. As well as demonstrating the difference between Dread Mirror and Electric Shield.

Few additional things to note: 

Melee is also not blocked by Garuda, enemies who do use melee generally just don't get close enough due to the shield stagger.  Ancients and conculyst however, have a long melee range so they go straight through if they do get close enough. While Conculysts ignore the stagger from the shield, their range does seem long enough to hit you through it.

Of the enemies I have unlocked,being a good majority of generic enemies, I noted all the AoE type attacks that DO get blocked by Garuda.

• Dover Bursa's proximity mines.

• Drones from self destructing flying enemies like the ones artificer spawn and oxium osprey are blocked. In fact, this is one instance where volts shield can be mildly inconvenienced. Because the shield when held is narrow if it hits close enough to the edge it will deal damage. Of course, if it's placed this is not an issues.

• Cinder Mechanist, however 2-3 ticks of damage will still occur then the enemy first fires. After that, the stream will cease to deal damage. But they also have a grenade which bypasses your shield anyways.

• Bombard rockets.

Pretty much anything else in the AoE/Melee category not mentioned in that short list does not get blocked by Garuda.

I had also done several tests where volts shield was angled upward, exposing his feet. Near identical results occurred except for moments where enemies randomly decided to shoot the floor at close range. 

It's doesn't make her unplayable really, but when AoE's are generally some of the highest damaging attacks in the game and in a number of cases cases have homing properties while pairing this with the size of Dread Mirror, you are just giving enemies a bigger hitbox to deal with. This is most egregious with liches that use explosives. Tonkor liches will straight up 1 shot you at rank 5, same goes similarly with the ayanga. If you aren't at point blank all the time to absorb the shot without it exploding, you will die very quick because you are easier to hit. Less annoying with ogris/seer because of they deal less damage, but you are encouraged to avoid using dread mirror against them unless they have one of the few abilities that do get blocked.

I would love to be more daring with my HP as garuda, but at high levels that chip damage can lead to some nasty spikes even when I'm properly focusing on the biggest threats around me just due to this inconsistency with AoE damage.

Thanks to @GPrime96 as well as @Xzorn for bringing up some things that I initially never realized about her shields inconsistencies, especially compared to volt, which led me to do some digging of my own.

Edited by Annnoth
  • Like 2

Good coverage.

It may be important to note this issue is fairly consistent with Snow Globe and Mass Vitrify as well. Never tested Atlas.

Many of these abilities also ignore Terrain cover. This leads to it being more of a global problem. The bigger issue specific to Garuda is that unlike these other Barrier effects she cannot put distance between herself and her Barrier where things like Snow Globe are still mostly effective long as you keep some distance.

However DE has fixed this in the past both by directly improving the ability in case of Volt's rework which far as I can tell has layers of code which make it work flawlessly and by editing the enemy in case of U19 https://forums.warframe.com/topic/715768-update-19-the-war-within/

Spoiler
On 2016-11-11 at 11:02 PM, [DE]Megan said:

Fixed numerous issues with enemy projectiles being able to affect players through solid objects. Affected enemies are as follows:

• Bombard
  • Corrupted Bombard
  • Manic Bombard
  • Hellion
  • Denial Bursa
  • Drover Bursa
  • Comba/Scrambus
  • Executioner Gorth
  • Executioner Vay Molta
  • Shik Tal
  • Zanuka
  • Jackal
  • Vay Hek Terra Frame
  • Tyl Regor
  • Kela de Thaym

I don't believe this list is entirely accurate across the board for Barrier effects. Seems mostly related to Terrain but before this update Bombard rockets would also bypass Barriers just as many other AoE effects. So either by editing the ability or editing the enemy this can and should be resolved.

• Like 1

I don't know if you tried Garuda during this time but for the Melee part, Garuda's Dread Mirror blocked Wolf Of Saturn Six's Melee hits so she can go close range towards him and deal Damage while not getting hit by him with the Shield up.  That's until his buddies with their Molotovs of death hits you.

26 minutes ago, GPrime96 said:

I don't know if you tried Garuda during this time but for the Melee part, Garuda's Dread Mirror blocked Wolf Of Saturn Six's Melee hits so she can go close range towards him and deal Damage while not getting hit by him with the Shield up.  That's until his buddies with their Molotovs of death hits you.

I actually do remember that now that you bring it up, but it was like 6 months ago so it wasnt exactly something i have in recent memory hah.

I do wonder if that was cause his melee range was actually tiny cause if i recall the way he moved outside of his abilities was basically like any grineer melee unit so i wonder if the range reflected that. Kinds like how a baliff has trouble hitting you despite using a giant jat kittag.

She was so broken against him. Just dread mirror 3 times, charge for 5 seconds standing still, bye bye wolfy boy. Mate took a 10+ million damage ball to take down.

1 hour ago, Annnoth said:

She was so broken against him. Just dread mirror 3 times, charge for 5 seconds standing still, bye bye wolfy boy. Mate took a 10+ million damage ball to take down.

I think when he spawned in T4 Void or Axi Fissure, i probably used 20 or 30+ Million Damage to make him lose a lot of Health while my Teammates are CC'ing the Fugitives or damaging Wolf boy. Not sure if there was a Damage dealing Caster that could do as much Damage as her against him in one hit but that was before DE nerfed him the third time (so when he just turned Amalgam). 

I just remember the Zealots being another enemy ignoring Dread Mirror, mostly from their Guns and i take a bunch of Damage from it.

33 minutes ago, GPrime96 said:

I think when he spawned in T4 Void or Axi Fissure, i probably used 20 or 30+ Million Damage to make him lose a lot of Health while my Teammates are CC'ing the Fugitives or damaging Wolf boy. Not sure if there was a Damage dealing Caster that could do as much Damage as her against him in one hit but that was before DE nerfed him the third time (so when he just turned Amalgam). 

I just remember the Zealots being another enemy ignoring Dread Mirror, mostly from their Guns and i take a bunch of Damage from it.

Yeah it probably was more than i initially guessed. I know I 1 shot him a few times and think i remember it being around 40 million actually. Which is uhh... i know its impact damage but christ almighty.

I dont think many casters could do anything to him, right? Garuda was one of the few whos abilities actually target him before the actual hunt missions.