Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Add First Time Completion Rewards To Help New Players

Unknown924

Right now it is difficult for new players to get started in Warframe. They need to upgrade their weapons to get farther in the game. Low mission rewards means they will need to replay missions a lot to upgrade their weapons. The mod drop system means they can't important mods such as Redirection until later.

However, if DE made it easier for new players by increasing rewards/mod drops then current players would farm the stating area since it is easy.

We need a system that gives new players what they need and can't be farmed by higher level players.

My idea is to have mission give bonus credits and a set mod the first time it is completed. This would help new players progress and give them incentive to keep going.

Credit Bonus: Since this is a one time only bonus it can be fairly high, say 5,000 credits or 5x the base mission credit reward.

Mod Bonus: This can be used to ensure new players have 1 copy of important mods.

Elemental damage and pure damage mods would be a very good choice. Match the elemental damage mods to the faction they are good against. EX First three missions in the game give the three AP mods to help against Grineer. The next missions should be Vitality and Redirection.

The First Time Reward could be shown when players select a mission if they don't have it yet.

I think this idea would help new players a lot and keep them playing. What do you think?

Why do you disagree?

What mods do you think he means?

Have you started from scratch since drop tables 2.0?

Did you fight new Vor with a Mk1 and no AP mod?

Think about it, dropping certain mods at certain points would prevent new players hitting an RNG wall.

The R in RNG stands for random by the way.

A game that needs to attract and retain new players relying on chance, good luck with that!

I'd say yes on redirection and vitality, but utility mods like Flow and Streamline should remain elusive and require effort. Some mods are just too good to make them easy.

Also, elemental mods would be fine imo.

Edited by DeejayPwny

I'd say yes on redirection and vitality, but utility mods like Flow and Streamline should remain elusive and require effort. Some mods are just too good to make them easy.

Also, elemental mods would be fine imo.

Agreed, I interpret OP as important mods like shields, health, stamina, AP, elemental... Not rare mods.

Brilliant idea although rare mods should stay behind RNG wall. Also any mods for first few missions seems pointless since new players wouldn't be able to equip rewards mods anyway. And 3 mods as a guaranteed reward for one missions seems like an overkill. 

Edited by xGryphus

do you know how less 5k is? Even for new players? And I agree, not all the important mods should be just given

5k per mission is actually quite a bit. The 5x mission credit reward is even more absurd. And OP didn't specify mercury only, just first time only. If 5x applied throughout the game's missions (or even just for two planets) the new players would be able to amass credits faster than they can intelligently spend them. Keyword being intelligently.

Why do you disagree?

What mods do you think he means?

Have you started from scratch since drop tables 2.0?

Did you fight new Vor with a Mk1 and no AP mod?

Think about it, dropping certain mods at certain points would prevent new players hitting an RNG wall.

The R in RNG stands for random by the way.

A game that needs to attract and retain new players relying on chance, good luck with that!

You asked me a ton of questions so I'll respond in order:

1. Because the idea of holding new player's hands through the early (easy) missions just to drop them into the deep end later is a bad idea.

2. The important ones, OP didn't specify so I take that to mean damage, shield, health, warframe mods, etc.

3. I did momentarily and then stopped using that account. The only 'problems' I've seen with DT 2.0 aren't going to affect low-level players, so this question is irrelevant.

4. No, why does this matter? Vor scales, he was harder for me to fight than he will be for new players. Especially since the first time I fought him he was broken and was lvl 100+.

They are still going to hit that 'wall' later, holding their hand will just make that wall look even more intimidating.

Why are you telling me things I already know?

Warframe is not the first or only game to include an RNG system. Its actually extremely common.

Back on the topic of new players and Vor: The likelihood of a new player fighting Vor without at least one mid-high level player is extremely low. There will almost always be someone farming for Seer.

And as xGryphus said, giving new players those mods won't even help them earlier on since they can't equip them anyway.

Right now is true pay-to-win.

As a reward for new players, the table should include Focus and Streamline. These mods are needed for them to go to medium level missions.

P2W occurs when in exchange for premium currency player can acquire advantage that can't be earn by in-game means. In Warframe you are able to acquire pretty much all content that influence gameplay for free. Further some high-end items can be only acquired by in-game means. This game is as far form P2W as it's possible. Edited by xGryphus

As a reward for new players, the table should include Focus and Streamline. These mods are needed for them to go to medium level missions.

Another idiot used the word P2W without understanding its meaning.

No, not at all.

Not pay to win, you don't need money to do well in the game or even experience all the content.

Focus and Streamline are higher tier mods.  They are beneficial yes but HARDLY required for medium level missions.

Basic damage mods like Hornet Strike and Serration.  AP mods, and Vitality and Redirection are the basics that every new player should have by the time they leave Mercury.  So many topics on this stuff right now, having them as first time success rewards for the first few missions is a good idea.

This is what I posted on another thread.  I think it would complement your idea pretty nicely.

Basically when you first complete a mission on mercury you get one of the essential mods as reward (redirection, vitality, hornet strike and serration), It's a one time thing so you can't farm these missions endlessly for them. And after you get your first mod reward you get a tutorial on how mods work, how to fuse, about polarities and such.

Then when you kill old man Vor and you get Cronus BP you get tutorial on foundry. 

And during first missions you get help pop ups on key things like ziplines, what mods look like, what resources look like and other things like that.

No, not at all.

Not pay to win, you don't need money to do well in the game or even experience all the content.

Focus and Streamline are higher tier mods.  They are beneficial yes but HARDLY required for medium level missions.

Basic damage mods like Hornet Strike and Serration.  AP mods, and Vitality and Redirection are the basics that every new player should have by the time they leave Mercury.  So many topics on this stuff right now, having them as first time success rewards for the first few missions is a good idea.

I don't agree with just giving new players Serration and/or hornet strike, and I also disagree with the underlined. I didn't get serration until I had already farmed several frames and weapons. I still don't have multishot for my rifle and I'm 500+ hours in XD

This is what I posted on another thread.  I think it would complement your idea pretty nicely.

Basically when you first complete a mission on mercury you get one of the essential mods as reward (redirection, vitality, hornet strike and serration), It's a one time thing so you can't farm these missions endlessly for them. And after you get your first mod reward you get a tutorial on how mods work, how to fuse, about polarities and such.

Then when you kill old man Vor and you get Cronus BP you get tutorial on foundry. 

And during first missions you get help pop ups on key things like ziplines, what mods look like, what resources look like and other things like that.

I agree with incorporating them into a tutorial, that'd be a good idea. Still disagree with serration and hornet strike being given away like that though.

Hornet Strike and Serration are not "essential" mods, they're enhancements.  Vitality and Redirection though I would say are essential, but then that's also an example of bad power design because they are essential.  If you automatically plop in shield and health boosting mods, then obviously there is a huge problem with the basis for your idea of what a "modification" would be.  Modifications should alter things like laser protection or power duration, though those again feel like forced choices because they're straight upgrades.

You want to modify the BEHAVIORS of an ability or weapon, not the stats of it.  Take these for example:

- Volt should get mods that alter things like how many times Shock can jump from enemy to enemy, or change the attack from a straight beam to a ball of lightning that behaves like Nova's Antimatter Drop that would then land and then shock enemies nearby.

- Nova's Null Star could get mods that make it become a damage-absorbing shield like Iron Skin or make it attach to an enemy and freeze him in place.

- Weapon mods are definitely in a good place in that they ALTER damage and should not straight-up increase it (like Hornet Strike or Pressure Point).

DE needs to take into account the fact they have created these very forced choices in mods and must eliminate them entirely or significantly nerf the enhancements they give.  Instead, mods like Vitality and Redirection should be further baked into the leveling process and not mods themselves.  The same goes for weapon damage.  Damage and health for both player and enemy alike should be on a logarithmic scale or curve, being that they do not constantly increase, but instead increase on a steady pace that includes diminishing returns before max level so that even max-level mobs should be able to be taken down by under-leveled players and weapons.

I don't agree with just giving new players Serration and/or hornet strike, and I also disagree with the underlined. I didn't get serration until I had already farmed several frames and weapons. I still don't have multishot for my rifle and I'm 500+ hours in XD

Just because you didn't get serration early on does not mean that new people should not.  The current system is flawed and unfriendly to new faces.  The fact that you and everyone else here suffered thru it doesnt mean it should not be changed for the better.

I very much approve of a system like this being implemented, as long as it is not giving out the rare mods (like multishot).  Just the important stuff like serration/ hornet strike, and is just giving one copy of it (not farmable for high ranks).

Edited by CHA0SWEAVER

Hornet Strike and Serration are not "essential" mods, they're enhancements. 

They are very much essential.  They are what gates mid and late game content.  For those people that did not even get one in their first 100 hours played, killing anything over level 40 was probably nearly impossible.

Show me one mid or late game viable primary/secondary weapon build that does not have these mandatory mods...

If the scaling you mentioned was actually a part of the game, I would agree.  But they're not (despite the fact that I too would prefer scaling power with a method other than thru mods, leaving mods to be choices and not essentials).

Edited by CHA0SWEAVER

Show me one mid or late game viable primary/secondary weapon build that does not have these mandatory mods...

There's the problem right there.  Every late-game build of a Frame or weapon has mandatory mods.  I've started a new thread on that subject if you feel like joining in as to not derail this one.

Hornet Strike and Serration are not "essential" mods, they're enhancements.  Vitality and Redirection though I would say are essential, but then that's also an example of bad power design because they are essential.  If you automatically plop in shield and health boosting mods, then obviously there is a huge problem with the basis for your idea of what a "modification" would be.  Modifications should alter things like laser protection or power duration, though those again feel like forced choices because they're straight upgrades.

You want to modify the BEHAVIORS of an ability or weapon, not the stats of it.  Take these for example:

- Volt should get mods that alter things like how many times Shock can jump from enemy to enemy, or change the attack from a straight beam to a ball of lightning that behaves like Nova's Antimatter Drop that would then land and then shock enemies nearby.

- Nova's Null Star could get mods that make it become a damage-absorbing shield like Iron Skin or make it attach to an enemy and freeze him in place.

- Weapon mods are definitely in a good place in that they ALTER damage and should not straight-up increase it (like Hornet Strike or Pressure Point).

DE needs to take into account the fact they have created these very forced choices in mods and must eliminate them entirely or significantly nerf the enhancements they give.  Instead, mods like Vitality and Redirection should be further baked into the leveling process and not mods themselves.  The same goes for weapon damage.  Damage and health for both player and enemy alike should be on a logarithmic scale or curve, being that they do not constantly increase, but instead increase on a steady pace that includes diminishing returns before max level so that even max-level mobs should be able to be taken down by under-leveled players and weapons.

I don't see Redirection or Vitality as necessities when it comes to modding your frames. Most of my frames don't even use those mods, the only exceptions are Rhino (vitality) and Ash (vitality). Those mods are never must haves for my builds. Serration and Hornet strike are, and I can see why some might dislike being forced to choose between damage and a ridiculously long TTK.

Just because you didn't get serration early on does not mean that new people should not.  The current system is flawed and unfriendly to new faces.  The fact that you and everyone else here suffered thru it doesnt mean it should not be changed for the better.

I very much approve of a system like this being implemented, as long as it is not giving out the rare mods (like multishot).  Just the important stuff like serration/ hornet strike, and is just giving one copy of it (not farmable for high ranks).

They are very much essential.  They are what gates mid and late game content.  For those people that did not even get one in their first 100 hours played, killing anything over level 40 was probably nearly impossible.

If the scaling you mentioned was actually a part of the game, I would agree.  But they're not (despite the fact that I too would prefer scaling power with a method other than thru mods, leaving mods to be choices and not essentials).

And there lies my problem with just handing out Serration and Hornet strike. There is no reason to just hand out these mods to new players when not having those mods does not significantly impact their experience with the first planet or two. They aren't expected to start the game and immediately be able to head into mid-high level areas. Nor would they be able to even if they were handed a serration and hornet strike. The current system isn't 'flawed and unfriendly' its just not a cake walk. That challenge that comes from farming that mod you really want is also the very thing that adds to the feeling of satisfaction when you finally get it. That is a major part of this game, trying to eliminate it (or dumb it down for new players) is doing little more than teaching them to expect handouts.

There is also the fact that a base (un-ranked) serration or hornet strike isn't helping a new player much and they aren't going to be able to level it very high with the few cores, fodder mods, and credits that they pick up on mercury.

TL;DR- Why hand new players the 'key' to mid-high level gameplay when they're just getting through the low-easy missions?