The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chip Damage - Innate Armor Strip Concept

ganjou234

I'm making this to help with the scaling/armor problem that has been here for a long time. Melee can somehow deal with scaling, so I'll try to avoid that (for now).

Except this time (instead of touching on the existing damage types) I'm trying to solve it from another direction and by trying to avoid changing any of the standing systems.

Lets start by giving all guns/weapons some kind of innate armor shred.

Usinge the Braton Prime as our test dummy..

• Braton Prime
    • 1.75 Impact
    • 12.25 Puncture
    • 21.0 Slash
    • 2.0x  Crit Multiplier

Instead of changing how damage types work lets make a new "passive" to IPS type guns/weapons.

Lets call it, "Chip Damage".

• Chip Damage: Every time a weapon damages an armored target it rolls whether or not it does "Chip Damage". The total amount of chip damage is the total amount of base impact + puncture damage combined subtracted to the target's base armor. The chance whether or not a weapon deals chip damage is the % amount of base puncture it has, crits will do an additional roll based on the weapon's current crit multiplier (This will help purely crit based weapons, melee or otherwise). Adding punch through to a weapon adds to the base amount (1) of chip damage rolls a weapon will do.

Using Braton Prime's stats to represent chip damage then we'll have...

• Braton Prime
    • 1.75 Impact + 12.25 Puncture = 14 Chip Damage
    • 12.25 Puncture = 35% change to deal Chip Damage
    • 2.0x Crit Multiplier = 1(+0 punchthrough)(+2) Chip Damage Rolls on Crit
    • 0 punch through = 1 + 0 = 1 base chip damage roll
    • Around ~41 hits to totally remove the armor of an enemy with 500 base armor.
    • Around ~16 hits to totally remove the armor of an enemy with 200 base armor.

Since chip damage chance cannot be improved by using IPS damage mods (since it operates on the amount of base puncture) then how can we improve our chances of dealing chip damage you ask?

• Multishot (more rolls per shot)
  • Crit chance/multiplier (more chance for rolls)
  • High Puncture weapons (increased chance)
  • Fire Rate (roll faster)
  • Punch Through (Increased amount of base chip damage rolls)

What do you guys think, and how can you improve this concept?

• Like 1

That's actually a pretty interesting concept. Kinda like having Shattering Impact inbuilt on all weapons.

However, by that same trait, I think it might be a bit much. We've actually got a lot of ways of either shredding or bypassing armor already with Corrosive Projection, Corrosive procs, Slash procs, and now Heat procs as well. If we added more, I think that Armor might become too trivial, especially if it's an innate feature of every weapon that can deal Puncture damage.

15 minutes ago, Dreddeth said:

That's actually a pretty interesting concept. Kinda like having Shattering Impact inbuilt on all weapons.

However, by that same trait, I think it might be a bit much. We've actually got a lot of ways of either shredding or bypassing armor already with Corrosive Projection, Corrosive procs, Slash procs, and now Heat procs as well. If we added more, I think that Armor might become too trivial, especially if it's an innate feature of every weapon that can deal Puncture damage.

This will help weapons that cant proc status reliably and only rely on crits, or in fighting status immune enemies. It also scales based on puncture, so weapons with too little puncture will deal little to no chip damage. So for weapons with little puncture then it woul greatly benefit to rely on corrosive/heat/etc.

(fyi btw it takes ~40 rounds (assuming each round deals chip damage) to strip a corrupted HG with chip damage)

Anyway, this is only part of a lot of rework concepts I'm planning on doing. I'll try to connect them together so that armor would not be trivial (Heavy enemy rework concept). It isn't trivial if we had good enemies amirite?

Edited by ganjou234
  • Like 1

But what is chip damage? Like how much armor strip, and is it stackable

I would prefer it if enemies had weak spots where armor could be 100% bypassed and shields could be completely disabled with exception if enemies like "Nox" and "Robotic" armor. 

Id also like weapons to have a chance of stunning an enemy to the point where you can perform a finisher attack. I.g. keep shooting their leg and they'll drop down on one knee for a while. (Not all enemies should do this)

It would make you open your eyes more in the game once enemy level gets difficulty.

1 hour ago, (PS4)IIFrost_GhostII said:

But what is chip damage? Like how much armor strip, and is it stackable

I would prefer it if enemies had weak spots where armor could be 100% bypassed and shields could be completely disabled with exception if enemies like "Nox" and "Robotic" armor. 

Id also like weapons to have a chance of stunning an enemy to the point where you can perform a finisher attack. I.g. keep shooting their leg and they'll drop down on one knee for a while. (Not all enemies should do this)

It would make you open your eyes more in the game once enemy level gets difficulty.

Chip Damage: Every time a weapon damages an armored target it rolls whether or not it does "Chip Damage". The total amount of chip damage is the total amount of base impact + puncture damage combined subtracted to the target's base armor. The chance whether or not a weapon deals chip damage is the % amount of base puncture it has, crits will do an additional roll based on the weapon's current crit multiplier (This will help purely crit based weapons, melee or otherwise). Adding punch through to a weapon adds to the base amount (1) of chip damage rolls a weapon will do.

"The total amount of chip damage is the total amount of base impact + puncture damage combined subtracted to the target's base armor."

It's the same as https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Shattering_Impact

I do the math all in the OP

• Braton Prime
      • 1.75 Impact + 12.25 Puncture = 14 Chip Damage
      • 12.25 Puncture = 35% change to deal Chip Damage
      • 2.0x Crit Multiplier = 1(+0 punchthrough)(+2) Chip Damage Rolls on Crit
      • 0 punch through = 1 + 0 = 1 base chip damage roll
      • Around ~41 hits to totally remove the armor of an enemy with 500 base armor.
      • Around ~16 hits to totally remove the armor of an enemy with 200 base armor.

500 base armor - 14 chip damage = 486 remaining base armor

Edited by ganjou234
  • Like 1