Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New player - 50 hours played, constructive feedback

Centripital

I have played warframe for ~50 hours, almost religiously over the last 2-3 weeks. The following is my feedback on things I love and think could use some improvement.

Background: I raided WoW on the more competitive end years ago, and actively play Path of Exile and have no issue sinking money into a F2P game when done well.

Current progress: MR5, about to complete Uranus.

Things I like:

I love the fluidity of the game. It feels fantastic. I love and respect that the devs work with the community, as it is similar to other games I actively play - though I'm not deep enough into the game to understand half of the things they're talking about. Combat is fantastic. The stories are very engaging and while I normally skip through quest text, I find myself slowing down to engage with the quests. The community is typically very friendly and helpful.

Things I think could use some work:

A more detailed explanation that "levels" don't provide power, that mods provide power. Being blunt about that fact up front would be a massive help. 

Warframe slots + weapon slots - The thing that upset me the most is that these slots are extremely limited early on. Everyone tells me that it's easy to farm items to sell for platinum, but I'm not experienced enough to know how or where to do that at. I personally wish these slots were doubled upon starting the game. I'd love to purchase platinum for $$ to buy more of these slots, but I have so few slots to start with that it's unsettling that I may accidentally delete a weapon that I really like using, just to try a new one out. A few extra slots from the get-go may resolve this - knowing I have a solid 4-5 sets (1 primary/secondary/melee per set)of weapons would allow me to know I have solid backup weapons to use for different scenarios, while still allowing me the questioning of "Is there a better weapon out there? Lets get some Platinum and buy a few slots to try new ones out, since I still have my old faithful shotgun/sniper/rifle/pistol/knives/whip/hammer/polearm/sword"

Regarding Mods, Initially I had no idea that mods were only limited to specific tier (bronze/silver/gold). I refused to upgrade my Vitality mod because it was bronze; why invest resources on a bronze item when a silver or gold Vitality would likely drop in the near future - After doing external research, I learned that mods do not drop in multiple tiers, but either flawed/fine. I wish it was a little more clear about mods early on into the game.

I sort of wish there was a mod list in the game. I enjoy theorycrafting and set completion in games - If I was able to see a list of mods, I could potentially theory craft how cool to make my character. Then, with a list like that, I would have the drive to complete the list (uncollected mods are greyed out but still clickable to show information) to make sure each item on that list is colored and bling'd up.

When given quests at the start, and pointed towards the Codex, I did not know that certain quests required odd or multiple requirements - maybe talking to someone at a space station, or scanning a specific enemy. Upon completing your first quest, I wish it was more clear that quests have multiple requirements besides just completing the previous quest.

edit: MR# (Mastery Rank) was a little unclear for me early on. I did not know what increased your mastery rank. I was initially under the impression that completing the quests/story would increase my rank, but a more veteran player than I told me to constantly level up new weapons as those will greatly increase my MR value early on. I wish this was more clear, since several things are gated behind MR. For example, I was 1 MR off of a weapon I wanted to buy and try out, so I hauled ass and cleared 3 planets and 3 quests, but not leveling any new frames/weapons/etc. Then I learned that I should have been leveling gear to get that MR.

Parazon - I had no idea what this is. I tabbed over to it for upgrades today and saw that I had 3 mods, all pertaining to mercy; so I inferred that this is my Mercy kill mod page.

Loving the game, keep up the great work!

Centripital

Edited by Centripital
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, Centripital said:

I wish it was a little more clear about mods early on into the game.

that is an assumption you have brought in yourself, not something the game can be blamed for.

41 minutes ago, Centripital said:

I sort of wish there was a mod list in the game.

have you tried the codex?

40 minutes ago, Centripital said:

The thing that upset me the most is that these slots are extremely limited early on. Everyone tells me that it's easy to farm items to sell for platinum, but I'm not experienced enough to know how or where to do that at. I personally wish these slots were doubled upon starting the game.

double them by using your starting plat. that is what it's there for.

• Like 1

Rawbeard already replied about something i wanted to point out, theres a mod list if you go into the codex (which is in your ship across form the market, or you can go esc>profile>codex) and up top theres a list of quests-universe-training-missions. Chose universe and look around there for a bit, you do need to scan enemies or simply do some missions for all the info to be there but you can still see some bit of info. Also if you are wondering what the effect of a mod is you can link it in chat usin [name] make sure to use the "[ ]".
About your starting plat, the main thing you should spend it on is slots for weapons and frames (don't buy loadout slots). Then slowly try to look into trade chat on how it works and what you can best sell to start getting some plat for either even more slots or to buy a cosmetic.

vor 14 Minuten schrieb Rawbeard:

that is an assumption you have brought in yourself, not something the game can be blamed for.

Correct.

Unless a new player wants to spend like 75% of his "play"time on the wiki, a player has to make assumptions.

I know i didnt make this assumption, but i made other (wrong) assumptions since barely anything important is explained well in the game.

have you tried the codex?

as far as i know the codex doesnt tell you anything about mods until you collected them.

It doesnt tell you anything about enemies or anything else aswell unless you scan everything.

Codex might be a somewhat useful tool for someone who is in the game for a long time,

but that person probably doesnt need most informations provided there at that point anymore.

double them by using your starting plat. that is what it's there for.

Correct aswell, but again, the game doesnt tell you what you should spend this plat on, and many players bought something useless with it for sure.

Nothing wrong with adding a few more starting slots - afterall thats probably one of the top new player killers in the game.

Besides that, from what time is that starting number?

Today we have so much more frames and weapons to collect, so this low capacity is outdated for sure.

I know someone will come around and say "but DE needs to make money"...yeah but they dont make any money by frustated players who left the game either.

vor 4 Minuten schrieb BlueScorpion5:

Also if you are wondering what the effect of a mod is you can link it in chat usin [name] make sure to use the "[ ]".

In order to do that, you also need to know that the mod exists in the first place,

and if you know that and the name of it you probably know everything you need to know already.

Edited by DreisterDino

1 hour ago, DreisterDino said:

In order to do that, you also need to know that the mod exists in the first place,

and if you know that and the name of it you probably know everything you need to know already.

DreisterDino why don't you go codex>universe>mods and read out what "Peculiar bloom" does as a effect from there (i believe it is one of the mods you most likely don't have so its best example, and keep in mind that for a begginer 80% of all mods are like that)
I informed him to use the codex if he wants a list of all the mods but unless you picked that mod up it only shows the name and the effects are all "????" so you would know the name without knowing its effects, so the best way to find the effects is to link it (yeah if you saw it on the wiki you would see the effect but if he just saw it in the codex, it would be easier to just link in chat then to have to open a browser and search it on google). Also if you scan a enemy max amount of times (should be 5 but i'm too lazy to confirm it on the wiki) you can see what he drops, so hovering over the mod will show you which enemies drop the mod if you have it scanned (this also works for completing missions). 

4 hours ago, Rawbeard said:
4 hours ago, Centripital said:

I wish it was a little more clear about mods early on into the game.

It is not an assumption he brought in himself it is an observation on his part. You are the one making the assumption that it isn't.

The new player experience is not very good. Modern game design uses a combination of UI prompts, story telling and bursts of skipable tutorials to get players acclimated to the mechanisms in play. Warframe works like an old super nintendo game trying it’s hardest to get you to call a 1-900 number.