Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Loki As First Wf

OmegaDas

Question

I feel like as though i screwed up by picking Loki as my first Warframe. While it is nice to have great sprint speed and skills that allow you to get to safety in the nick of time, i have honestly seen myself as a burden when playing with Excals and Mags.

I am currently halfway through Earth, and i feel like i'm not playing it right.

Is there perhaps a level that i reach where i get enough Mods etc. so that i don't feel entirely useless?

I have considered restarting as Excal, however i really feel that doing so would mean that i have given up too easily, there is something fundamentally wrong with the current way i play Loki.

I am currently using the weapons that were given to me from the start with the exception of the Cronus being my Melee.

Thanks for reading and hopefully answering, much appreciated :)

24 answers to this question

Please, Loki has to be the best frame of the starters.

Unlike Mag tend Excalibur, Loki is ALL utility.

At the beginning of Warframe, only abilities that do damage matter. Like slash dash or Crush.

However, as you level up, you will realise that enemies begin not to die when you attack them with a damaging ability.

At high levels, nothing ever dies in a slash dash.

So damaging abilities become near useless.

However, all of Loki's abilities have near endless utility.

While people may not think much of you in the current low levels, those very same people will be kissing your &#! in Pluto Defense when you remove the weapons of an entire wave and slaughter them in a giant melee war where their damaging ultimate abilities do next to nothing.

Believe in Loki, he ages very well compared to other frames.

I feel like as though i screwed up by picking Loki as my first Warframe. While it is nice to have great sprint speed and skills that allow you to get to safety in the nick of time, i have honestly seen myself as a burden when playing with Excals and Mags.

Is there perhaps a level that i reach where i get enough Mods etc. so that i don't feel entirely useless?

I have considered restarting as Excal, however i really feel that doing so would mean that i have given up too easily, there is something fundamentally wrong with the current way i play Loki.

I am currently using the weapons that were given to me from the start with the exception of the Cronus being my Melee.

If you don't like him you don't like him. He isn't a bad frame, he is especially good for melee.

Well, Loki is awesome, but you probably do need some mods :)

Are you in a clan? Got many friends?

Get someone to do some defense with you to get Streamline, Continuity and nightmare missions for Constitution.

Look out for the alt Helmet.

If you get those, Invis can last a long time, and you get a bonus to melee while invisible.

Try a Shade sentinel, who will get you out of a tight spot or two.

Don't be afraid to go invisible whenever possible, and just shoot stuff.

Also, Energy Siphon, get that when it is on alert and max it out.

Loki is kind of tough at first, but you can do almost anything with him when you have the right equipment and experience.

I usually solo T3 voids as him (not defence though!).

Good luck.

Edit: Oh and ignore the first response, really helpful I'm sure.... Rhino is good, but that was not the question!

Edit 2: Another thought, Invis is not immune.

When you use it, change position, get on the outskirts of a fight, you will still take damage when hit by crossfire even when invisible.

Edited by Egg_Chen

Loki is a beast once you get your hands on some power-boosting mods (Flow, Streamline, Continuity/Constitution, Stretch, Energy Siphon). But until that, it's kinda difficult.

For now, use Invis and Decoy a lot, stay back, do not rush ahead because you'll be taken down pretty easily. Shield mods are more important than HP for most cases, as you'll need to take some hits while running around, and having low armour means that depending on HP will get you downed pretty fast.

Protip; Invisibility + Melee Charge Attacks = Win.

Start looking for a Continuity or Constitution mod to buff your invisibility duration; with both of these maxed out, you can stay invisible for 19 seconds.

Look into getting a melee weapon with long reach and a solid charge attack; This will help you hit more enemies at once with your charge attack and improve the effectiveness of your invisibility.  The Orthos is great for this; blueprint is in the Market and the resources for it are not hard to find.  Add a Reach mod and you can eventually hit Toxic Ancients without getting poisoned.

Loki is a great frame, but he's not easy to use when you're starting out.  He will teach you to appreciate your weapons, use of cover, and movement tricks (wave-dashing, wall-run, slide attacks, etc.).  Use a Decoy or Radial Disarm to lure enemies, then go Invisible and use charge attacks to clear them all out.

Your allies will thank you for reviving them while you remain mostly uninjured.  Add some Redirection & Steel Fiber mods to toughen yourself up a bit.  Flow will extend your energy tank, Streamline will make your energy use more efficient, and equipping an Energy Siphon Aura will help make sure you you've always got enough juice to go invisible.

You can take Switch Teleport off for most most missions, and eventually remove Decoy; it won't last long on Neptune or higher.

Choosing a Loki does not mean you need to restart, but you may need to rethink your strategies from time to time.  Considering that you chose him based on his description in the first place, i think you can pull this off ;)

Loki isn't for everyone. 

If you don't like him don't feel too bad, his gameplay may simply not be for you. Feel free to restart the game or farm a new warframe, the game is all about finding what you like and discarding what you don't.

At the beginning of Warframe, only abilities that do damage matter. Like slash dash or Crush.

Damage is all that matters at the beginning and he almost only has utility...

Loki is a great warframe, but not a great starter imo.

Edited by CubedOobleck

Please, Loki has to be the best frame of the starters.

However, as you level up, you will realise that enemies begin not to die when you attack them with a damaging ability.

At high levels, nothing ever dies in a slash dash.

So damaging abilities become near useless.

However, all of Loki's abilities have near endless utility.

While people may not think much of you in the current low levels, those very same people will be kissing your &#! in Pluto Defense when you remove the weapons of an entire wave and slaughter them in a giant melee war where their damaging ultimate abilities do next to nothing.

Believe in Loki, he ages very well compared to other frames.

the same could be said about Nekros. in the god tier of utility with loki.

But that's the problem isn't it? A starter is what you use at the beginning...

Loki is a great warframe but not a great starter imo.

True, yet the beginning of warframe is a fraction compared to the endgame.

While starters are intended for the start of the game mainly, Loki is the only one who gets better as time goes on.

He's actually quite good at the beginning, thanks to Decoy never dying and Invisibility being extremely useful due to the fact that stealth kill animations actually kill things.

I recommend him for players that don't intend on spending much money on warframe, as he can stay with you for the entirety of the game and never end up falling short of the rest.

Edited by EganMC

Loki is one of the best frames in game.. meaning its not just press 4 and everyone dies or spam you first skill till everyones dead. It takes time to get used to loki, if enemies die.. youre most likely doing it right, tenno..

Besides, loki can be used on later levels.. unlike frames like excal that'll have a hard time killing stuff with slash dash and such..

Edited by BladeFade

Loki shouldn't be one of the starter frames, you need some knowledge on game mechanics in order to be able to utilize loki's abilities.

This I can agree with; however, some people may want to get into a class like Loki, which is why you are warned that he is for advanced players.

Loki is probably the best of the starter Warframes.... At late game. To be honest I don't think Loki should even be a starter since you need certain mods (Continuity at the very least) as well as the Energy Siphon aura in order to make good use of him.

However, he doesn't stand out until the level where Excalibur isn't one hit killing nearly everything with Slash Dash, and Mag isn't emptying entire rooms with 2 Pulls before you even enter them (around the time you get to Ceres). Since newbies obviously aren't going to be at this stage in the game, I think Loki shouldn't be an option for a starter. I'd actually recommend DE replaces Loki with Rhino as a starter, and I'll eventually make a thread explaining why.

Although I will say that in late-game missions Loki almost seems overpowered. I did a survival alert with him recently vs level 130+ enemies and I honestly felt like I was more capable than the entire rest of my team combined due to Invisibility and Radial Disarm. You don't even need to potato Loki to get a nearly optimized setup since he only really needs Continuity, Constitution and Streamline.

Thanks for all the replies,i guess i have to get some shield mods and power boosting ones!

is Vitality a good mod for loki? i'm running with that at the moment

Redirection is better if you have it, much better!

Shields recharge, health doesn't (without auras).

^This.  Redirection (shield cap), Fast Deflection (shield regen rate), Decoy, Invis and find someplace safe. Shields are much better for the hit-and-run tactics that Loki is best for. In some tilesets, Decoy+Switch TP can get you in really safe perches where you can take out enemies from long range, or just recover some shields.  Like some have mentioned above, Invis and charge melee is a really good way to deal a lot of damage as melee attack damage is boosted while invisible.

And remember to stay very very mobile.

I'm loki and I started to play as loki as first warframe.

Beginning of the game loki is kinda weak warframe because it has low armor and hp but if you keep carry on and if you keep farm mods and etcs loki will become the most strongest melee warframe,an example: with full nice mods and with galantine you can make amazing dmg,you have to be fearless if you are playing as loki.

Just let me give you a advice : don't face to face enemies like a tank because you aren't.

Coming from someone who uses Loki a lot, I can say it IS tough at first. Get invisibility, and Radial Disarm. Screw Decoy, it's useless in most situations.

Be aware of your surroundings, and soon you'll be the most cautious yet intimidating player in the Tenno arsenal.

Most may not ever recognize you, but that moment they kiss your &#! for using Radial Disarm + Decoy in a T3 Defense, you know, they were just misguided.

Good luck.

He's good for pvp. That doesn't make you feel better though.

He's good for pvp. That doesn't make you feel better though.

Fun story.

Sitting here, Ignis and Twin Gremlins with Kogake, in Conclave.

Two heavy hitters, Rhino with Acrid and Frost with Torid. Iron Skin and Snowglobe is hurting.

I manage to steal one orb from then, then another. I use Radial Disarm to make their weapons unfirable, then I switch teleported one into an energy field, since it does about 500-750 damage *Radial Disarm* he died from the electric field. Then I got one more orb thanks to my carrier and used Invisibility, to then I proceeded to make that Frost have a hard life.

Thanks for all the replies,i guess i have to get some shield mods and power boosting ones!

is Vitality a good mod for loki? i'm running with that at the moment

While the advice given was solid, people are just forgetting the availability of MODs in earlier levels. I recently started a new account to help a friend and it was a reality check for me. My advice will be a bit different then. As a Loki in earlier levels focus on movement, positioning, learning the map tiles, learning about enemy AI and improving your aim (hitting the best spot in Warframe is NOT always hitting the head ^^).

For your MOD needs use these:

- Datamined info about which enemy drops what - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgGZ9TLiwS5XdDN3WlZuYU5OYzV0LS04Uzd6N0FIYlE#gid=0

- Possible defense rewards - http://sunbla.de/Warframe/SedR/

Also farm the living Lotus out of Spy/Sabotage/Capture missions for credits, resources and even some bonus MODs if you are lucky. Loki is VERY good at getting where people dont want him to, grabbing/killing what HE chooses, and leaving without a trace. 

This is a very personnal choice, but I used a Strun shotgun and Lex sidearm with my Loki. Both are available to buy for credits. The Lex is a pocket sniper, you can use Loki's speed and skills to get to safe place and blow all those Grinneers' heads off. If you enjoy shotgun play, going Invisible and blowing stuff point blank never gets old with Loki ^^

Also, I would suggest you persevere, unless of course you are not having fun at all. You can build the other warframes if you have at least one frame capable of farming bosses, and Loki is a boss hunter at heart.

Hope it helps.

I chose Loki as my first Warframe, and I will admit that it does take time to get used to his powers, but he definitely has his uses, especially early on:

>Radial Disarm can make Napalms and Heavy Gunners completely harmless

>Decoy can distract a heavy crowd and if you use it in tandem with radial disarm you can use it to lure in enemies to have a teammate finish them with an ultimate. You can also switch teleport with your own decoy to get to hard to reach places.

>Decoy and invisibility are a great way to safely revive a teammate. Or you could even use switch teleport on a downed player to teleport them to safety (just be ready to run yourself!)

He's no damage dealer like Mag or Excalibur are, but as long as you keep your energy up, he can be the best frame to get your team out of a tight spot.