The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

High Particles Cause GPU Failure, Unable to Play

97raven123

Recently, particularly dense amount of particles on screen cause my display driver to fail entirely. To be specific, it causes my monitor to lose display and my computer to crash shortly thereafter, forcing me to hard restart. This only occurs with Warframe, as I have tested both many other games and stress tested the GPU directly, to no issue.

It seems to only occur when a large amount of particles are on screen, such as from the Shedu, Kuva Bramma, or the Dual Cestra. I can consistently replicate the crash by equipping the Shedu and firing at the floor for about 3 seconds.

Turning down particles in the options reduces the likelihood of a crash, but does not eliminate them. Though I can refrain from using such particle heavy weapons, others using high particle weapons and frames can still cause a crash (Which is obviously not their fault,) making me unable to play.

So far I have tried:

• Updating my video drivers to the latest version
  • Checked my memory, confirming no issues
  • Added a TdrDelay of 8 seconds to Registry
  • Verified Warframe's download cache
  • Re-installed Warframe
  • Used Furmark to stress test my graphics card, confirmed that high usage is not the problem, nor is overheating.
  • Adjusting most graphics within Warframe. This includes disabling GPU particles and lowering particle density as low as possible, to no avail.

I will post my system information below, and will provide more information if needed. Thank you in advance for any advice!

Spoiler

Time of this report: 2/9/2020, 19:16:36
             Machine name: DESKTOP-F7B5T5V
               Machine Id: {9FFDD283-34B3-4DE8-947D-B02BBCBEDFFA}
         Operating System: Windows 10 Home Single Language 64-bit (10.0, Build 18362) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
                 Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
      System Manufacturer: ASUS
             System Model: All Series
                     BIOS: 0702 (type: UEFI)
                Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
                   Memory: 16384MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 16326MB RAM
                Page File: 9406MB used, 11015MB available
              Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
          DirectX Version: DirectX 12
      DX Setup Parameters: Not found
         User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
       System DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)
          DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
                 Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
 DirectX Database Version: Unknown
           DxDiag Version: 10.00.18362.0387 64bit Unicode

Edited by 97raven123

On 2020-02-09 at 6:16 PM, 97raven123 said:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz

What Graphics card do you have?
Maybe your graphics card or Power Supply Unit (PSU) might be dying maybe.

This CPU have integrated graphics. Are you using integrated graphics with monitor plugged into motherboard? If not, maybe try it.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/80807/intel-core-i7-4790k-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-40-ghz.html
To use integrated graphics while PCI-E graphics is in, enter motherboard settings (press DEL on power on), for Asus intel, this may be in Advaned, System Agent, Graphics, iGPU Multi-Monitor and Primary Display. After saving changes, plug in a monitor to the primary GPU.

On 2020-02-09 at 6:16 PM, 97raven123 said:

Used Furmark to stress test my graphics card, confirmed that high usage is not the problem, nor is overheating.

Try using both Furmark and Prime95 both at the same time. This will really heat up the computer and push the Power Supply Unit (PSU) to the limit.

• 4 weeks later...