The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Aerolyst is poorly designed

Ershk

7 minutes ago, DrakeWurrum said:

If they address those two points, I'd be fine with it. They should handle it such that it's regular attack patterns place it into a position where, for at least a few seconds, it's really really easy to hit the belt, and then once the belt is broken it stays broken - even to the point of changing its behavior, because it knows it's vulnerable.

Reminds me of the Zeffo Tomb Guardians from Jedi: Fallen Order. Normally heavily armoured, they root themselves and become vulnerable while charging up their energy attacks. A fast enough player can push or pull their power core, disabling them for a few seconds during which a LOT of damage can be dealt. So give the Aerolyst a big, slow, telegraphed charge-up attack during which players can shoot its belt, interrupt the attack and disable it for a couple of seconds of vulnerability.

The reason I challenge the invulnerability state is I don't feel it's needed. DE are finally moving in the right direction with enemy weaknesses, as far as I'm concerned, so having an enemy who's normally really tough and really dangerous but can be "sredded" to reduce its effectiveness and remove some of its attacks is I think a better design than a mere binary invulnerability state. I may have been playing a bit too much Division 2, but I've kind of grown attached to fighting tanky enemies with weakpoints. Shoot the air tank to force the boss to remove his gas mask. Shoot the fuel tank to disable his flamethrower. Shoot his grenade pouch to keep him from throwing grenades. Or "The boss is armoured!" Shoot his helmet to enable headshots, but the helmet is REALLY tough. Or shoot his chest armour to enable damage of any kind, but you only do bodyshot damage.

The Aerolyst could have just had a S#&$-ton of armour or some fast-recharging shield, or Sentient adaptation which gives it 90% damage resistance to any damage type after a few hits, or all of these things combined. It could easily be made killable, but a pain in the ass, with the suicide belt serving as a weak point which permanently reduces its toughness for every segment permanently destroyed. Going with straight-up invulnerability just feels like lazy design, given what that enemy could have been.

• Like 3

Yeah i ran bramma and was just completely useless, ran out of ammo, finally got it vulnerable using my operator, then it was invulnerable again almost immediately. I like the concept... buuuuuut when it doesn't work it makes you want to break your monitor. I was using my secondary and it just waved its arms around like a gorilla jedi blocking all my shots. Eventually abandoned after i ran out of primary, secondary and was leveling a melee weapon. Felt great. It felt like they were trying to artificially add difficulty. 

Apparently I need to start running my vectis prime again.

I have not ran many ground missions because I enjoy railjack and working on intrinsic while enjoying an XP booster.  With that said, these stupid creatures can be ignored in space.  When they spawn, I'll just lock them down and ignore them.  

I do not understand why AOE weapons don't work, first they remove self damage to encourage the masses to use explosions, then they make explosions useless on a unit that cannot be ignored so if you have the wrong setup, progress stops.  The unit needs to be changed or removed.  

They could at least fix the instant regen of the canisters, as it is now the vulnerability period is just a single stagger.

Would be extra cool if destroying the belt made the Aerolyst enrage and use a different set of attacks while the canisters are recovering, turn the mob red in this phase too for extra flavour.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Unimira said:

as it is now the vulnerability period is just a single stagger.

Actually, there is theoretically no vulnerability period at all. If there were a player behind the Aerolyst, it would be literally unkillable. I've seen those canisters repair themselves three times in under a second. If the game says you can't kill the enemy today, you can't. Period.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2020-04-01 at 2:48 PM, Iamabearlulz said:

Actually, there is theoretically no vulnerability period at all. If there were a player behind the Aerolyst, it would be literally unkillable. I've seen those canisters repair themselves three times in under a second. If the game says you can't kill the enemy today, you can't. Period.

I'm here from just having that happen on console.

If I design the game I wouldn't make invulnerable enemies unless there is a strong condition, but this does too f*cking much, I mean WTF ? did they only play their game at lv 40 or something ?

Anyway this new enemy just kill the moods when their level are hard, can't imagine on elite.

But again many people just say have someone with limbo or bind it..... Like people who always need their mommy and daddy around to carry them.