Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Something I Think Warframe Forum'ers Should Read.

SJunior

http://forums.firefallthegame.com/community/threads/criticism-vs-negativity.2457821/

^Written by a FireFall Dev, (A game that suffers from many of Warframe's same problems.) About the difference between Criticism and Negativity. The latter this forum seems to have much of. I recommend replacing the word "Firefall" With "Warframe" As everything could similarly apply to the games.

(I know I may have posted this on another thread already, But this seems like an awfully good post for this forum.)

That game has been a punchline for years now. I mean, it's been in beta for a dogs life.

Yes, people oughta chill out..but then again when you can't quite figure out what you're game is supposed to be. People are going to get unruly as hell.

As someone who is very familiar with both the Firefall forums and the game itself, I find your post quite funny.  I don't know how much information you have about Firefall's history, but I can tell you without a doubt that negativity had nothing to do with that game's decline and current situation.  In fact, the negativity was merely a symptom of fans telling the devs over and over again that they were on the wrong track.  Instead of listening, the devs buckled down and refused to accept that they might have made any mistakes.

I remember when Firefall had a small, close-knit fan-base; back when the game was almost purely PvP.  I'd never seen a happier, more hope-filled and helpful community.  There wasn't much content, and the game was unstable and buggy, but it was FUN.  There were no grind-walls, no gear tread-mills, no time-sinks.  But slowly, Red5 started changing things.  Item tiers were added, which over time created power-creep.  Crafting became more grind-based.  New content became gated.  PvP was initially re-balanced around "e-sports" (while forgetting about everyone else), then neglected.  New tough enemies were created to combat power-creep, which turned combat into a stat contest instead of a true shooter.  Finally, permanent item decay was introduced. 

Despite Red5's adamant assurances that these features were necessary for the game to grow, the opposite ended up happening (to no surprise of most fans).  Go re-read the last parts of that article (titled Nostalgia and The Future).  Does that rhetoric sound at all familiar to you?  It's almost the same exact arguments Microsoft made at the beginning of their Xbox One campaign.  It essentially boils down to: "This is the future; deal with it."  In other words, Red5 is still stubbornly clinging to their old beliefs.  They are simply refusing to listen to their fans, and as long as that continues, their game is doomed to fail. 

What happened to Firefall was tragic, but the blame lies solely with Red5.  The fans did their part: they spread hype, they pointed out flaws and mistakes, they made suggestions.  They went above and beyond their obligations to try to help the game.  In the end, Red5 just didn't listen. 

Would you mind linking to that post?  I'd love to read it.  Whenever Ced posts something, I tend to find merit in it. 

First, the link to Ced's post. https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/118827-stop-locking-threads-we-are-discussing/?p=1391164

Second, I'd like to acknowledge that you just hit the nail on the head about my feelings about Firefall.

That game, at this stage, could be used as a Cautionary tail about getting burned by Devs who don't care past words. I invested a good bit of time into that game and cared a lot about it. Shame in the end the Devs didn't seem to love the same game that I did, they ruined it with changes that were useless to the experience I valued and recommended so highly.