Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Night wave ideas to improve

De can you please do this for night wave seasons  I want to be able to go into the night wave tab and replay seasons where I left off  like this I stopped at 24 rank for Saturn six can I start there and finish up to 30 rank it just sucks having a time limit on limited cosmetics just allow players to not rush nightwave and burnout I like to take my time with content so I hate having a death clock time limit so I lose out on these items everytime unless I force myself to get to rank 30 everytime 

Considering the fact that Nightwave itself carries on for a long time, and that most of the rewards are not exclusive to that specific season, I would say that the system is incredibly fair compared to other events that happened over the years.

But yes, in principle, it would be nice for all items in game to not be exclusive to one period.

6 minutes ago, Xardis said:

But yes, in principle, it would be nice for all items in game to not be exclusive to one period.

It's the Secondary Selling Force for "Battle-Pass" systems in games now-a-days, unfortunately. The "FOMO" effect, or "Fear of Missing Out".
By making a Time Limited Event with Rewards that can only be earned during "This Season", it makes it so that people who weren't interested in playing suddenly feel they NEED to play, or else sacrifice whatever stimuli that "Reward/Thing" would provide. (They don't know what Stimuli it will provide them, but it's better to Get and Have than to never Have at all)

DE swears they're not going for that effect though, and that the old rewards will in fact return someway, somehow. I know Intermission brought some back, but they're going for more of a "Play Now, Have Now. Don't Play Now, wait until maybe Later to Have" style of things.

........Still has the FOMO effect though, which causes Players to not only Play, but also Play Hard, Grind Hard, and Burnout Fast trying to get the Nightwave goods.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nez-Kal said:

It's the Secondary Selling Force for "Battle-Pass" systems in games now-a-days, unfortunately. The "FOMO" effect, or "Fear of Missing Out".
By making a Time Limited Event with Rewards that can only be earned during "This Season", it makes it so that people who weren't interested in playing suddenly feel they NEED to play, or else sacrifice whatever stimuli that "Reward/Thing" would provide. (They don't know what Stimuli it will provide them, but it's better to Get and Have than to never Have at all)

DE swears they're not going for that effect though, and that the old rewards will in fact return someway, somehow. I know Intermission brought some back, but they're going for more of a "Play Now, Have Now. Don't Play Now, wait until maybe Later to Have" style of things.

........Still has the FOMO effect though, which causes Players to not only Play, but also Play Hard, Grind Hard, and Burnout Fast trying to get the Nightwave goods.

I think this is a bit of an oversimplification.  It is correct, but misses out on a lot of the detail.

DE had the alert system.  This system allowed anyone to do a mission, and get a reward.  The issues with this system were that many awarded credits and resources, their duration was low, and if the reward was a cosmetic you'd avoid it after getting one.  They called this system outdated, but it functioned for most of the life of the game.  It was great when things popped up, and when you didn't have 80+ cosmetics that were randomly being drawn from.  It was bad near the end when you wanted a cosmetic, and then discovered an alert happened while you were sleeping or at work.

So, the system was not working as well.  What did DE do?  Did they learn from Guild Wars, and make events use a universal currency reward?  No.  They saw that the season pass system was working for some games, and decided to do that.  

On paper, the season/nightwave thing is great.  You have daily challenges to drive activity, weekly events to keep people active, and the rewards cycle weekly so you have plenty of time to earn them.  The problem is what they decided to wall off.  Catalysts and Reactors are needed for new weapons and frames/companions/archwings.  Nitain is needed to build a lot of stuff.  Aura mods are a miserable thing to so without.  They walled off content behind the events, making it more difficult for starting players.  They gave veterans the illusion of choice, and new players a massive inconvenience.

So, what should have been the play?  Well, nightwave sucks for newbies and veterans.  The former have to buy auras, the later already are flush with everything from 5 years of grind.  The fix was not to remove alerts, but to alter them.  Increase the duration to 2-3 hours, remove the ones spawning only credits and resources, and bundle disparate rewards.  In an example, instead of an alert having one cosmetic blue print it would instead have the cosmetic, and 400 endo. 

We also have to get into the seasonal reward.  Other games have defined seasons to drive new content, and they focus on cosmetics as they are the easiest thing to pump out.  What then is nightwave?  Well, they've hidden power behind the grind so it can't be enjoyed and turned off.  If you don't engage you've lost the access to items which newer players need.  Likewise, it isn't engaging enough because you have no idea how long it will last.  Intermission II was the better parts of a year, so if you kept up there'd be no way to earn more credits.  DE dug themselves a hole that needed to be full of content, without the team to pump that content out.  They prevented it from being something to engage with at leisure by gating power behind the wall.  They then top it off by having no schedule so that you never feel like you're working towards something, you only feel like you're ticking off another week's worth of activities you may or may not appreciate.

So my criticism is that FOMO is a problem, and DE has no plan to address it.  The current nightwave will let you buy a beacon to summon the wolf....who has crap drop chances for his weapon, and will eat away earned credits.  They fixed this with the zealot on the derelict, but never fixed the Wolf.  There's no end date, so you never feel like there's an actual goal you're moving towards.  The rewards that are unique are cosmetics....and only visible so infrequently that they cannot really be used to demonstrate you did something.  As such, the inclusion of the "rewards" is largely a spacer between how long it will take to get an umbral forma rather than how cool it was to get a new emote.

If I were to boil this down to a phrase: "Nightwave is bad because DE did what they always do; they took a system that worked in other games and implemented it without ever properly provisioning resources to make sure it worked, or even considered how it would be maintained in the long run." 

Some people call that bold vision, but I call it reckless and foolish ambition unsupported by your resources and talents.  Nightwave can be improved by closing it, going back to alerts, and putting the time into fixing them without trying to sell us on "player choice" as your motivation.

• Like 2