Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Falling Through Levels & Respawning

Sasuga

It's happened to me a few times, my friends a few times, and seems to happen the most when on a K-Drive, particularly on the Plains.

We fall through the ground, and then fall for a really long time, before eventually re-spawning back on land. I'm guessing it has something to do with how deep the caves go, before hitting the edge of the world, so to speak. I don't know, maybe you guys have a timer for how long someone's feet aren't on the ground.

I was thinking, there must be a way to program the game to realize someone's under the terrain, even with caves and such.  Either, manually adding in a layer in areas, like the ones that trigger when a Warframe falls into water on many maps, including on the plains (or annoyingly, on some maps when you jump to high you respawn, or jump off to a side...)

Or, perhaps some sort of programming, where the engine knows the lowest actual ground-point for that X & Y (or X & Z, or whatever) coordinate, basically knowing there's no cave under it, and determining from there if the person is below the ground or not, and then either floating them back up, or re-spawning them (depending on distance maybe).

38 minutes ago, Sasuga said:

I don't know, maybe you guys have a timer for how long someone's feet aren't on the ground.

You are talking about being on a K-drive, where your feet are never on the ground.

DE has addressed this before. Get screenshots of the locations and send them to Support. That way DE can patch the holes. Other methods seems like something that hat would need to have been integrated originally.

12 hours ago, krc473 said:

You are talking about being on a K-drive, where your feet are never on the ground.

DE has addressed this before. Get screenshots of the locations and send them to Support. That way DE can patch the holes. Other methods seems like something that hat would need to have been integrated originally.

Essentially, I'd just have a ray go from the player to the bottom of the world's edge, (always going strait down) and checking to make sure there's a floor (or water, or trigger, or something) always under the player, and if there isn't, then you'd know they fell through. I'm surprised game companies haven't done this already (not just DE, but like all of them). I'm surprised I haven't thought of it sooner! Though the types of games I usually program in are nothing like Warframe.

I mean, without seeing the game's back-end, I don't know what sort of issues might arise from it, but if it's anything like most game engines these days, I don't see why a ray checking for a floor (or trigger, etc.) always being under the character would cause problems. I mean, it doesn't care how high the player's object is, or how low, or how deep the world is, it essentially goes on to infinity (not counting the world's limit/box) and makes sure something is always under the player object.

if(objectUnderPlayerFeetAtDistanceFromPlayerToInfinity == null){

// Move player object back to the last location they had something under their feet

// Throw error: File a bug report

}

Or, basically:

if(objectUnderPlayersFeet == theEndOfTheWorld) {

// Fix it

}

They could even throw a box around the edge of the world, if they had to, and all that box "The Edge of the World."

They might already have one, since people do eventually respawn back on the surface. Something is checking for fall-throughs apparently, as after minutes we do eventually get put back on the surface. I'm just recommending, offering advice how, and begging that they do something to shorten the time while falling through. Since, Warframes could be dying on the surface while their buddie(s) are under that surface unable to help respawn them or fight.

=-=-=-=

I find it amazing how many people who don't understand programming and game design think that things that are generally easy (across most game engines) are "impossible" or things that are very difficult, nearly impossible, or practically impossible, are 'easy.'

Go learn some programming and game design, go play around with GECK or the Elder Scroll's toolkit, or the GoldSrc, or Unity 3D, and then come back and tell me, " something that hat would need to have been integrated originally."

14 hours ago, Sasuga said:

I find it amazing how many people who don't understand programming and game design think that things that are generally easy (across most game engines) are "impossible" or things that are very difficult, nearly impossible, or practically impossible, are 'easy.'

DE uses their own game engine. They have said in the past that it is easier for people to give them images of problematic spots. That way they can patch them. If it was easier to do what you are suggesting they surely would have done it already. 

I guess I was meaning more that it would be easier to have integrated the system at the start than now. DE's code is all over the place, what could they break by adding it now?

• Besides, why does a distance need to be used anywhere? Wouldn't a simple collision with 'end of world' box and trigger "/unstuck" command also work?

14 hours ago, krc473 said:

DE uses their own game engine. They have said in the past that it is easier for people to give them images of problematic spots. That way they can patch them. If it was easier to do what you are suggesting they surely would have done it already. 

I guess I was meaning more that it would be easier to have integrated the system at the start than now. DE's code is all over the place, what could they break by adding it now?

• Besides, why does a distance need to be used anywhere? Wouldn't a simple collision with 'end of world' box and trigger "/unstuck" command also work?

Yes, DE uses their Evolution engine.

Dude, when someone has fallen through the level, there's not always a way to know where the problem spot was. Especially on a K-Drive. It happens so fast, and you're under the map.

Programming ultimately comes down to a series of comparisons or yes/no questions.

They're programmers, they know what I'm talking about. They know their engine, so I can only suggest from the outside a possible solution as a programmer to programmers. Whether or not they can use my solution, they know, and whether or not they want to try, is up to them.

All you are doing is being annoying, by giving me flak. You've added nothing useful to this thread. And I've read other posts of yours, where you seem happy to discourage people and discourage their recommendations. PLEASE, stop being a troll.

If you have nothing actually helpful to add, maybe just stay quiet.

This is a common bug and it only happens to  clients that have bad connection to the host or the other way around. This bug happens when your K-Drive got destroyed during the summoning animation or bad ping when you are about to summon it you can clip out of the map or stuck in permanent ragdoll state. They should make K-Drive summon client authoritative to fix the issue.

Archived