Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Afk Auto-Kick Or Vote Kick

Brasten

While this is still in beta and most people are fairly energetic about playing this is less of an issue, however once this hits larger scale general public this may be an issue. Espeically with the Double-Lock Doors and missions like Defense that won't start until everyone is in the defense room.

Some of us leave the computer just for a few minutes to do something... its not like the other players in the squad are being patient, and at the same time getting new squads isnt easy. When the game starts some of us do not move because we have something to do between missions in real life. Your life isnt in the game its in real life. At least give us a longer time then what they have now between missions when someone selects something.

I COMPLETELY oppose any form of Vote to Kick system ala World of Warcraft. It's overabused in that game, and people often use it just to kick people for fun, or because they are trolling. Rarely in that game is it used for its intended purpose.

Apart from that, this game does not rely so heavily on any single player, so if they are underperforming, it's only giving you more of a chance to excel. There's really no way for any player's absence to get you killed.

So yeah... Do not support a vote to kick system.

Hmm I don't know, that is tough. I agree that the Vote Kick system is pretty flawed because of the abuse that can come from it, and then the AFK Kick isn't good especially if you need to step away from the game for a bit and your friends know of this and are okay with it. Then I am definitely against just letting an AFK player sit there and reap the benefits of your work and get auto pulled out and gets credit.

Then there's the option that if you don't make it to the exit in time, that it's a mission failed but then that could be abused too by the people that rush ahead along with if the hostage gets stuck and someone has to stay behind to make sure you don't get a mission failed because of it.

In all honesty, I don't know what would be the best route because they all have a huge downfall...

Edited by Maeka

So.... what if you did an AFK timer that triggered a vote kick and leave it to the squadmates to decide?

I haven't encountered too many of the afkers yet, but it is beta. Unfortunately, there's the option for them to move slightly or something of that sort to cancel the timer, so maybe make it so that if they don't do damage in a certain amount of time, the option will show up. Also, make it so explosive barrels don't count in that example.

When the game starts some of us do not move because we have something to do between missions in real life.

Then maybe people should not queue until they are FINISHED what is bringing them away from the computer, rather than selfishly inconveniencing three other people.

I realize people have lives outside of Warframe. I do as well, I'll often do laundry or other household cleaning between while waiting for load times in other kinds of games where that isn't a hindrance. For Warframe I have the courtesy to BACK out of session before doing such tasks. If it involves biological needs and I can't be back at the game before a 60/30 second vote time countdown I either wait or much more often press BACK/exit.

There are niceties to being in any multiplayer game. One of them is being very clear with 'group' members when and for how long you will be away from your seat. Between good friends a long time, say feeding the dog or putting out the cat, may not go amiss. However between random unaffiliated players that level of courtesy is non-existent. If I am online to play, I'm online to play, not to sit and wait while someone else makes dinner.

I do understand the worry about abuse of Vote Kick system. We've all seen it happen. However there times when such a system is necessary. Beyond people who just wander off into the either of Away From Keyboard there are also deliberately disruptive players to consider. Warframe is being built to be a Team game, and the developers have included several mechanisms to enforce this. Beyond the Double Door and single room Defense mission, there are KEY items.

First is the Datamass, common to intelligence missions. The game will not allow a countdown to end unless all 4 parts of the Datamass are at the exit. A player who goes AFK mid game (for whatever reason, even a legitimate emergency) is going to leave up to 3 other players hanging and unable to complete. This can also be used by malicious individuals (and I would encourage DE to add this as a clear kind to list of reportable offenses, harassment is the closest but doesn't quite cover it) to prevent other players from progressing.

Locked doors events that need a Key (often obtained by backtracking a bit in the level). There is only ever one key and only one person in the current party is registered as having that key. If this person decides to NOT use the key everyone else is stuck. To the topic of this thread, if that person goes AFK for unknown reasons while in possession of that key, again everyone else gets stuck.

Go through the list of carried item missions. If at any point the person holding that item stops responding you have exactly the kind of situation where a Vote Kick or an Auto-Kick is a useful, and I argue, necessary tool in an online game. Although also to the point things like that Door Keycard need either be dropped or reset when the holder leaves (either quits, their connection cuts out, or is kicked). I have not seen that happen yet personally, so I don't know if that eventually has been covered.

There are ways to setup kicking systems so they are not heavily abused. Majority vote is one. Kick eligible only after X amount of inactivity time. And yes, I would agree that a Private game would not need an Auto-Kick as the people ostensibly know each and are more likely to use better communication to arrange extended AFK periods as needed.

Start relaxed, 5 minutes of AFK before a majority vote kick option opens (which is way more time then I'd be willing to wait around for personally) and tighten down as results come back. Vote kick for and reporting for deliberate withholding of KEY items... that may have be a diffrent thread perhaps.

Edited by Brasten

wall of text hard to read Brasten,

and i support the afk kick, had someone go afk without a word for a ? alert assassination mission, so 3 people were waiting for the boss fight, and one douc...nice person went afk, Lucky for the team i was on my Loki and switch teled them into the room, but if there wasnt that option, then we woudl have had to wait till they got back.

i have no problem waiting if someone says in squad chat, afk for a sec guys blaah blaah then no issues, but when someones does it no chat, and hold up 3 other peopel its really frustrating and annoying

Never had problems with AFK people.. you either wait for them to get killed or you finish the mission.

If you have to use a 2-person door you could just lure some mobs to the AFK player... ooor stop whining and get real team players? or even friends?

I would hate to be playing an Assassination mission with people who vote kicks me (no reason added) after the boss drops good stuff.

I could see this system being abused on a daily basis by some 3-man 2-man group who deliberately kicks people right before finish.

IS THIS something we want to see in this game? i rather quit this game all togheter if that system was added.

AFK-kick has my support, +1 for that.

I am all for a an AFK auto-kick that involves a voting decision so players that tell the group they need to go AFK for a few could be kept in the game by the team voting against the auto-kick when it triggers. This should be implemented in online sessions only, private/solo (obviously, why auto-kick the only player) sessions should be left alone. As far as griefers, abusive players, whatever you want to call them the game could benefit from a blacklist that prevents you from being matched with people on the list.

How about just gettin rid of those annoying doors requiring 2 people and teleporting everyone to boss room/defense room when someone enters?

Vote-kick would be abused.

AFK also really lame seeing as people in this game don't even listen when I ask for a bio break between missions. They're like robots or something.

What about a proximity kick, for a team member that, say, isn't at least half-way through the level by the time the timer reaches 0:00, either by distance or by a count of rooms travelled through, or some similar "distance" measurement. That way a player would have to physically move through a percentage of a level, say 50% or 75%, in order to get credit for it. But they could still go AFK for, y'know, a bodily function without gettting the "Dump-Boot".

It would have the downside of forcing a player to either go solo to farm for drops, or else assemble a team of friends who are willing to keep stalling the timer to allow him to wander around until he's ready to complete the level.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm I don't know, that is tough. I agree that the Vote Kick system is pretty flawed because of the abuse that can come from it, and then the AFK Kick isn't good especially if you need to step away from the game for a bit and your friends know of this and are okay with it. Then I am definitely against just letting an AFK player sit there and reap the benefits of your work and get auto pulled out and gets credit.

Then there's the option that if you don't make it to the exit in time, that it's a mission failed but then that could be abused too by the people that rush ahead along with if the hostage gets stuck and someone has to stay behind to make sure you don't get a mission failed because of it.

In all honesty, I don't know what would be the best route because they all have a huge downfall...

Due to the idea that we can setup private games, I dont think there will be much if any abuse of the kick system in that sense. The afk kick... I agree with that idea as well. If your life si so busy that you have to afk while the 20 seconds to load the map are going, maybe you shouldnt be playing the game then anyway? Make room for people that want to actively play in a team and keep your afk &#! back in real life.

I was thinking.. how about an AFK kick system but added a little bit of a voting into it?.

Example, a person wants to afk,

then they could infom the whole team that they'll have to afk (something simple like: " i need to go afk a bit, brb", then pressing a button to indicate your afk, or an auto afk indicator for the team),

and then each of the other team member will vote whether if theyll allow it or not (a check box or like :o) exempting that person from being afk kicked,

if allowed that player will wont be kicked until they come back, otherwise, the timer resumes and kick the trolling players. Non trolling players always try to communicate with the team and if you know your team mates, its up for the team to decide whether one trolls or not :3

Yeah, private games should not be affected by this but online game should not be left otherwise.

Me myself always in an Online games with some friends while letting others play with us,not restricting others who would want help.

Ok, vote kicking can literraly ruin the game for many people due to the fact that here can be 3 trolls in one lobby can completely block anyone from even entering a mission. Auto kicking seems to be a much better alternative say if a player is afk for a good 15 mins then they can be kicked as that seems to be a resonable time a person is gone and would not affect party matches too often.

Edited by Crysentos