Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Weapon Request] Corpus Railgun

Vaskadar

Considering hand-held railguns right now can deliver as much energy as a .22LR (which is, indeed, fatal) and their big issue is projectile stability, it's mostly fine tuning the technology now.

Lethal Penetrative Properties. ;)

.22LR's will go through soft materials, but after that, they're plinkers.

Currently, we only have one sniper, and I often wonder while playing, why only the Snipetron? I think an armor-piercing railgun is in order. Perhaps with inherent puncture properties, but a charge-up time and a fairly slow firing rate. Perhaps 136.0 base damage? I'm sure that this has already been suggested, but I feel that it would be a good functional complement to the current snipetron, which has a moderate firing rate.

Mmm and one shot any Corpus human soldier at any level? I think 100% AP properties with 136 base damage would be very overpowered agaisnt them. Remember, Corpus Crewmen have a 2000% AP damage multiplier to headshots... Actually, the idea of 2720 damage with a level one gun is growing on me...

Lethal Penetrative Properties. ;)

.22LR's will go through soft materials, but after that, they're plinkers.

Incorrect, .22LR has killed as many people in the US as many larger calibers and it can penetrate bone out to 400 yards.

Bone would be counted as a 'soft material' since it is organic and composed mostly of calcium (a soft mineral). Body armor defeats .22's fairly easily. Still, off topic.

A singular slug loaded into the weapon would be pretty awesome. A short charge-time delay prior to firing would also be cool, but might not be all that realistic. I would think that some kind of electrostatic discharge occurring along the length of the barrel as it fires would make sense.

Edited by Vaskadar

I love the idea, We need more then one sniper rifle, and the current one is more focused twoard corpus and infected with its lack of AP properties. Honestly the weapons clip and fire rate should be increased and a weapon as suggested here should be implimented as the low ammo, low mag, low fire rate heavy hitter. I was.... shocked to say the least when the snipetron couldnt 1 shot/headshot graneer when I have pistols that take 2 shots to down a graneer though headshots.

• 5 weeks later...

I don't think you can apply dps to sniper weapons, especially if one weapon has puncture that the others cannot ever hope to gain. The puncture helps with kiting groups and the high damage, high accuracy(assumption) helps to take down high-value targets.

Like the idea of a railgun in game. Probably won't be using it for its slow fire rate though.

Could be balanced with XP Lock. Have it charge like the Paris except with a longer charge where full charge damage is through the roof and uncharged damage = close to nil?

It requires a full charge to fire, though. There's also a short delay before you can fire your second shot. The weapon is supposed to deal massive damage compared to the other two sniper weapons, but also be much harder to use.

+1, I love railguns

Would a lighter (separate) version work? Like a Gauss rifle, using a larger clip and fire rate but not as much damage (However a Gauss rifle in my eyes would work alot like a latron)

Edited by Coffee009

Interesting, maybe this could be the bolt-action type sniper that Warframe currently lacks.

I do support a single shot magazine with a large slug, as picture of Metal Gear Solid 4's railgun pops into my mind. However, just by the laws of logic, I'd support its ability to shoot through cover. Being able to shoot through walls like Resistance 2's Auger should be allowed by logic, but may be too overpowered. But unless we get scopes that allow us to see thermal images enemies through cover and walls (which would be cool and fitting of the railgun as it is) I don't think hitting enemies through walls would be a problem enough to make shooting through walls a nono. What about the grineer that hide behind the walls around the circular asteroid base doors? Example right there.