Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Afk Problem

ROSING

The War is drawing to a close. Factionism, Grineer loyalty and Corpus pride still run high. Yet in between all of that a there is a problem that previously has been a nuisance, yet this event has yielded made it into a full blown issue.

I don't know how many missions I've run where there is some guy who stand AFK at the infil point. And when the dust clears and the there two and I have eliminated everyone, we're waiting at the extract point for a guy who will never come. I'd like to just play a mission on the other side to screw up his farming operation.

I suppose the best way to solve this problem is a kick function. However, I understand that griefing problems will arise from that too. For your consideration, however, it is easy for a lone operative to remain AFK and the other three to boot him out. However, bootings usually only occur in pub matches, where more often than not you'll be grouped with random people you don't even know. It would be much harder for a kick troll to try and sway the other two people to kick a person for no good reason than for 3 honest players to kick out a dishonest one. I leave that for your consideration.

TL;DR, please find a solution for AFK players screwing everyone else over.

I think if you're AFK while holding a datamass it automatically drops it after a few minutes.

For the invasions, I'm not sure how valid this is, but some person stood in the beginning of the level, didn't move, and at the end of the match, me and the other squaddie got to extraction, where upon completion the AFK player was kicked from the match.

I'm not sure if this was due to code, but it seemed like it was. We didn't have the help of this person, sure, but they didn't get the rewards.

I think they started spawning units at spawn whenever someone idles for too long. 

I have been witnessing some scrubs who stayed at spawn getting shafted by a tech or something who spawned near.

Not sure if that's on purpose tho.

But during an Extermination event, that can't happen because we'd have to go backwards to deal with them. However, if that's the price I'd pay for getting rid of Idlers, then I'm willing to pay.

Make it so you have to be within  certain distance from the exfil zone to get a complete mission, if you are too far away you fail. A bit like xp, if you are too far away you dont get any.

Edited by Kyota

But during an Extermination event, that can't happen because we'd have to go backwards to deal with them. However, if that's the price I'd pay for getting rid of Idlers, then I'm willing to pay.

I had it happen during an extermination for the event a couple of minutes ago. The AFK'er's sentinel killed the Tech for me, but the AFK died there. I'm not sure if it was a freak accident honestly, I've seen other situation where a mook spawn in spawn for some reasons. 

In-game it would be nice to kick. Like a vote kick to limit abuse of individuals. or an idle kick, which the system gives a player 10 seconds to respownd or 'act ' at all. I mean if he isn 't doing anything, he is probally afk. And no one is going to kick someone the second he is afk. 

Perhaps you could make 'friendly and non-friendly' kicks (it sounds ridiculous, but just to name it). non-friendly means that you are a troller, leecher etc. and friendly means if you are playing with friends and you know your friend is idle and you don't blame him, yet it will hinder mission progress. (like survival and lephanis (only starts when all players are in the room)

Btw, I know that there will be abuse, and that there might be opinions about someone leeching or being useless. But we should start with idle kicks. Idle is absolute. you press a button or you don't. if some is playing the game or just typing, he is probally touching his keyboard or his mous at lesat once for like 30 seconds, so if we just make an idle scan window of 30 s to 1 minute, only real afk players are kicked. 

It can not be abused for angry teammates on new players stating that "they are not doing anything"

In-game it would be nice to kick. Like a vote kick to limit abuse of individuals. or an idle kick, which the system gives a player 10 seconds to respownd or 'act ' at all. I mean if he isn 't doing anything, he is probally afk. And no one is going to kick someone the second he is afk. 

Perhaps you could make 'friendly and non-friendly' kicks (it sounds ridiculous, but just to name it). non-friendly means that you are a troller, leecher etc. and friendly means if you are playing with friends and you know your friend is idle and you don't blame him, yet it will hinder mission progress. (like survival and lephanis (only starts when all players are in the room)

Btw, I know that there will be abuse, and that there might be opinions about someone leeching or being useless. But we should start with idle kicks. Idle is absolute. you press a button or you don't. if some is playing the game or just typing, he is probally touching his keyboard or his mous at lesat once for like 30 seconds, so if we just make an idle scan window of 30 s to 1 minute, only real afk players are kicked. 

It can not be abused for angry teammates on new players stating that "they are not doing anything"

I support the idle kick. I think if you only had the idle kick at the beginning, like, say if you do nothing for the first minute then you are out of here. Idle kicks later in a game may lead to some frustrations, and since the main problem is people who AFK in the beginning, it would make no sense.

Edited by ROSING

I support the idle kick. I think if you only had the idle kick at the beginning, like, say if you do nothing for the first minute then you are out of here. Idle kicks later in a game may lead to some frustrations, and since the main problem is people who AFK in the beginning, it would make no sense.

Agree with that, kick players in the beginning has the minimal chance to 'ruin' the players efford and will be less dissapointing due to missed loot. However, it would be nice if we could also kick people in lobby. If I am playing with a friend, and I get 2 random people, fine. If I am done with the mission, fine random people still. But when I want to a specific mission with my friend, and the randoms want something else, still nice random people, but I want to go elsewere. The only thing to solve this is to leave session and then re-invite your friends. but why !!!!. also if I meet random people and I want to do a mission togheter ( like go do lephanis) and I need to leave the session because the 4th random pulls us to m.prime I will lose that awesome 'friend' I made since whenever you leave asession you can 't look back in the squad chat or anything to find the players you played with a moment ago......

I would support this. I think I accidentally left my char on a mission lobby while i was getting ready for work, cant remember if I exited the queue or not, and I feel bad cause I wont be home for another couple hours and im probably messing up some peoples runs ~_~ Sorry :(

because you cannot run a macro to move about a bit every x seconds.

because you cannot run a macro to move about a bit every x seconds.

Ok, so then what's your alternative solution? Personally, I believe that an idle kick function should handle most people who go AFK who are too lazy or don't know how to make a macro.

Edited by ROSING

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so then what's your alternative solution? Personally, I believe that an idle kick function should handle most people who go AFK who are too lazy or don't know how to make a macro.

It will work for the first week, then there will be people sharing their macro, so lazy bummers can just download and install following an easy guide.

Or tape a vibrator to the mouse.

The fact is that the only solution is making interesting levels. Everything else can be abused or sidestepped with ease.

Make it so you have to be within  certain distance from the exfil zone to get a complete mission, if you are too far away you fail. A bit like xp, if you are too far away you dont get any.

So in the instance where I'm speed running for pub newbs getting frames... They wont get jack unless I zoom slow walk all the way through to extraction.

Yes, lets put in a method to boot people or discredit others because some people move too fast.

--

Here lets sum up the possible fixes and why they wont work.

Spawn = no completion zone if idle = person will just walk Xmeters then afk.

Kick function = Remember how many people used to troll with loki/Mag/Nova/Valk's pull and tele abilities. Imagine someone going "Yo I saw him no clipping kick!" "What but I-" *user has been kicked* Trolls will have a field day.

You have to kill X to get credit = Well if your team has too many aoe instant death members... You might not get credit at all but could work however all someone has to then do is kill a few mobs and then afk.

Idle kick.... Really? Do I need to post the picture of the dipping/sipping bird toy that can just hit your W key every few seconds? No macro need, No program needed... 1005 True key interaction.. it's just from an inanimate bird toy..

Although black listing can work... Who manages such list? Who determines who goes on it? Can X be sneaked on or lied about? Can photo of proof be altered for the LoL's

• 2 weeks later...

The War is drawing to a close. Factionism, Grineer loyalty and Corpus pride still run high. Yet in between all of that a there is a problem that previously has been a nuisance, yet this event has yielded made it into a full blown issue.

I don't know how many missions I've run where there is some guy who stand AFK at the infil point. And when the dust clears and the there two and I have eliminated everyone, we're waiting at the extract point for a guy who will never come. I'd like to just play a mission on the other side to screw up his farming operation.

I suppose the best way to solve this problem is a kick function. However, I understand that griefing problems will arise from that too. For your consideration, however, it is easy for a lone operative to remain AFK and the other three to boot him out. However, bootings usually only occur in pub matches, where more often than not you'll be grouped with random people you don't even know. It would be much harder for a kick troll to try and sway the other two people to kick a person for no good reason than for 3 honest players to kick out a dishonest one. I leave that for your consideration.

TL;DR, please find a solution for AFK players screwing everyone else over.

This has become common practice now days in alerts too now. I have to wait for his highness (afk kings) to come & assist since door demands you to unlock with two people if not but player is forced to leave the game completely since hes afk.... . I'm not sure about this but it has to my come to my notice, that this common practice is done by rank 4 & above & are doing intentional for leveling up their war frame,weapons,etc. during missions. as far I've experienced until now. Like they say, We do their job & they sit on the chair & watch. Here I thought rush players were problematic but idlers sure won this part now. 

I really think, it's about high time for this issue to be addressed by developers now. They should really provide kick feature which is given to host only since they have full right to do in the first place or else provide a feature that these kind of players are completely blocked so that they don't join me in future at all. 

I just hope developers look into this issue & fix it asap. 

Edited by IIWingSaberII