Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Disconnecting during MR tests should NOT be a fail

MrAureliusR

While doing my MR25 test, my power briefly went out, causing my PC to reboot. I was maybe 2 or 3 seconds into the test, and when I logged back in it told me I had to wait 24h to take the test again. I was so angry that something completely outside of my control just screwed me over. I am *guessing* the reason it counts as a fail is because they don't want people force closing the program or something to avoid failing a mastery test, but come *on* DE. Give the players the benefit of the doubt. What difference does it actually make? The annoyance and anger that legitimate players face outweighs any potential harms from someone avoiding a fail.

This absolutely needs to be changed. I would be beyond furious if this happens to me again (which, while extremely unlikely, I'm sure must happen to some people, especially in third-world countries with less reliable electricity/internet). It's just absolutely stupid that disconnecting is an automatic fail.

... Imagine for a single moment that any action that results in a disconnection between the client and the server can be exploited to avoid that 24h timer, by simply disconnecting pretty much at the last moment...

... Now imagine for a single moment that everyone would simply do that...

... That's pretty much why the 24h timer exists...

Unfortunately, power supply going out results in a disconnection which, following the examples I previously mentioned, results in a fail in which the 24h timer is there to stop exploiting the fail condition in such ways...

No, I'm not saying that you tried to exploit it by having the power going out as if you sabotaged the whole grid block, or the power transformer attached to a pole relatively close to your house... I'm saying that the 24h timer is there to stop attempted exploits through forced disconnections (a.k.a. ALT+F4) and that there's no distinction for the server (and its unreasonable to have such a distinction) between a forced disconnection and having the power supplied to your house being interrupted.

... Seriously, DE isn't your Electricity Supplier... Or anyone else's, for that matter.

They are not forced to implement that distinction and, just for the sake of it, they're never going to implement that distinction. How the hell are they even going to figure out that your power went out? There's no way to know that unless they suddenly switch from Game Production to supplying electricity! Which, do note, would also not allow you to complete your MR25 test because there would be no game, in the first place! Which, consequently, would make this entire thread useless!

... Ok, I'm done...

... Wait... No, I'm not... Let me just - -

45 minutes ago, MrAureliusR said:

It's just absolutely stupid that disconnecting is an automatic fail.

There, this sentence is of very high importance...

Now, the following sentences...

I was so angry that something completely outside of my control just screwed me over.

Give the players the benefit of the doubt.

I would be beyond furious if this happens to me again

Want to know why I picked those?

... First of all, its an event that was completely out of your control... Secondly, "benefit of the doubt" on something that's obviously going to be exploited without a single thought, less alone second ones... And thirdly, getting even more furious if it happens again...

I'm just going to pack those sentences I've just quoted and present the proper classification of them...

(...) just absolutely stupid (...)

Not because I'm trying to cause friction over it... But because your frustration about suffering from an event out of your control clouded your judgement so hard, that even if I am severely impaired from being awake for more than 80 hours (which I am btw) straight and my brain simply can't process logic efficiently anymore from being that tired, sees how

(...) just absolutely stupid (...)

your entire post and its unreasonable demands really are...

... Ok, now I'm done... Hitting the sack for 20h straight...

*lands face flat on the floor*

tbh they should remove whole wait for 24h systems this is videogame it should be fun to play I know some players treats these tests like they are supposed to be serious thing. also difficulty is all over the place and not gradually rising when you reach another rank. I think it was mastery rank 16 test where Lotus says this is your hardest test yet and it was simple defense mission which you breeze through. 

45 minutes ago, (PSN)C4d4l153n said:

tbh they should remove whole wait for 24h systems this is videogame it should be fun to play I know some players treats these tests like they are supposed to be serious thing. also difficulty is all over the place and not gradually rising when you reach another rank. I think it was mastery rank 16 test where Lotus says this is your hardest test yet and it was simple defense mission which you breeze through. 

For me the timer adds tension. So when i beat a test it feels really satisfying. 

1 hour ago, (PSN)C4d4l153n said:

also difficulty is all over the place and not gradually rising when you reach another rank.

The master rank is not in game to add "difficulty" to the game... where did you read that? 

1 hour ago, (PSN)C4d4l153n said:

I think it was mastery rank 16 test where Lotus says this is your hardest test yet and it was simple defense mission which you breeze through. 

The game also has the "gift of the Lotus" when Lotus is not a thing anymore.

it's just to make a character say something, don't take things that literal 

1 hour ago, Uhkretor said:

-snip-

If people are using this to exploit MR tests, then let them. It's really not the kind of exploit that's hampering anyone's enjoyment of the game (i.e. the kind of exploit that needs to be prevented). As the OP said, giving the benefit of the doubt is much more important than any harm it could cause.

And honestly, even if MR test exploits were harmful, legitimate disconnections during MR tests (power outages, etc.) are rare enough that cheating attempts become easily identifiable. For example, if someone's trying to pass a MR test but their power *mysteriously* goes out during the test multiple times in a single day, then the system can just flag them as a likely cheater, and respond by triggering a 48h cooldown and silently disabling the "benefit-of-the-doubt" system for a month or something.

2 hours ago, Uhkretor said:

... Imagine for a single moment that any action that results in a disconnection between the client and the server can be exploited to avoid that 24h timer, by simply disconnecting pretty much at the last moment...

I'm imagining it .... And you know what... It's not a big deal... Even if every single player were to abuse that exploit... What actual harm does it do ? 🤔

2 hours ago, Uhkretor said:

They are not forced to implement that distinction and, just for the sake of it, they're never going to implement that distinction. How the hell are they even going to figure out that your power went out?

They can simply ask and Take my word for it...

1 hour ago, shut said:

If people are using this to exploit MR tests, then let them. It's really not the kind of exploit that's hampering anyone's enjoyment of the game (i.e. the kind of exploit that needs to be prevented). As the OP said, giving the benefit of the doubt is much more important than any harm it could cause.

That's pretty much how I feel too..

5 hours ago, Uhkretor said:

... Now imagine for a single moment that everyone would simply do that...

So what? Seriously. So freaking what if someone uses that to avoid an MR test fail? How are they really benefiting other than avoiding a 24h time-waste? They're not getting platinum. They're not getting items. They're not getting an advantage over any other player. There is zero legitimate reason to back up your arguments. Please explain to me *why* giving the benefit of the doubt would harm the economy, other players, or really anything at all. Also, the tone of your post was rude and totally unnecessary. It's like you can't even comprehend what I am talking about, and you just go on a tangent, and then call me stupid repeatedly. Personal attacks aren't necessary to get your point across.

4 hours ago, shut said:

And honestly, even if MR test exploits were harmful, legitimate disconnections during MR tests (power outages, etc.) are rare enough that cheating attempts become easily identifiable. For example, if someone's trying to pass a MR test but their power *mysteriously* goes out during the test multiple times in a single day, then the system can just flag them as a likely cheater, and respond by triggering a 48h cooldown and silently disabling the "benefit-of-the-doubt" system for a month or something.

Thank you! I couldn't have put it better myself.

7 hours ago, Uhkretor said:

And the Oscar Golden Hand Award goes to...

In all seriousness, do you actually believe that MR tests are exploitable? They aren't exactly challenging. I think the only one I ever had trouble with was MR9. Look, time gating is one of the worst aspects of this game. One of the most highly criticized things about WF is that you are timegated behind reaping the rewards of your farm/grind, and MR tests are no different. A fail shouldn't really result in a 24 hr timer, regardless of what prompted the 'fail' in the first place. If someone is that  big of a noob that they have to force restart their PC for an extra attempt at an MR test (after the 3 chances you already get) then lol they probably aren't very efficient at playing the rest of the game either

I enjoy this game as much as the next guy, but it isn't without criticisms, and your criticisms simply aren't valid. And while I do feel like OP is pretty salty (hi donut) I'm sure if this exact situation happened to you, you wouldn't be too happy either. 

Waiting 24 hours before trying the test again is unnecessary and stupid. OP is right to be frustrated, I'd be up for making the challenges a bit more challenging but removing the time gate entirely. So it's up to you to hone your skills and try again before you get burned out rather than be forced to wait 24 hours.

Archived