Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why doesn't DE add more skins for weapons?

Johnny-Silverhand

I feel like DE is SERIOUSLY slacking in the weapons Skins department. With the addition of the Unreal Tournament skins and its unfair removal, i noticed that DE has a precarious to almost outright 0 of available designs for primary/secondary weapons. Does anybody know why is this so? If it's hard they could streamline the process by allowing tennogen artists to freely design skins for weapons, E.G. some tennogen artists decides to make a skin for the Rubicon that looks like this 0310979c3d95809f4df7982d4031f30d.jpg

This means more work, sure, but it also means more money and DE has 300 employees, so, surely they can spare a handful of designers and programmers to implement them. I'd buy them in a HEARTBEAT. I feel like they're missing out, HARD.

There are a decent number but the vast majority are for specific weapons/specific weapon groups. For example, Boltors have the Bravura skin. DE has said that they sometimes can't do skins for more than one class of weapon, because they need to hook up animations or something. I'd personally prefer more universal skins than just skins for single weapons, because there are so many weapons in the game that a lot of weapon-specific skins would go to waste.

The one thing that confuses me is the Hecaton Shotgun Skin, which works for pretty much every primary shotgun. It even has a custom reload animation. I don't get why DE can't make more skins with the same level as compatibility as that one.

50 minutes ago, minininja77 said:

They say it has something to do with how the animations work that makes it difficult, like they can not let/get primary kit gun beam weapons work with skins but secondary beam weapons work with all skins go figure

The only place I have ever heard that is from players making excuses for DE.  I've never heard DE address this at all.  It's probably partially true, but I think it's more spaghetti code than just an animation issue.  When you look at the options that are currently available and what they work with, it makes zero sense.

The Hecaton shotgun skin from the Nyx Deluxe bundle works on the Convectrix.  The weapon with possibly the most unique firing animation in the game, with an alt fire that's just as strange.  My Phantasma has a 0.2 reload speed (yes you read that correctly) and despite the Hecaton having a unique reload animation that you wouldn't think would work with a reload that fast, and also being a friggin beam shotgun, I can slap the Hecaton skin on my Phantasma as well.  There's no way it's just an animation issue because none of this would work if it was.

Yet the Oscira rifle skin doesn't work on the Kuva Hind.  The ugliest weapon in the game save for maybe the regular Hind, and I can't put a skin over it to fix it.  I literally only bought that skin for that weapon, and it doesn't work.  Despite liking the Kuva Hind, I literally never use it because I hate how it looks so much.  What animation issue could there even be?  I can't even recall there being an animation for swapping firing modes.

There is zero rhyme or reason to what works and what doesn't.  Dual Sword class melee weapons have more weapons in their category than any other weapon class, yet up until PC recently got a new skin from Baro, the only 2 measly skins we had for dual swords are bundle only and not that great to begin with.  The same animations are used from Twin Basolks (chonky axes) to Nami Skyla Prime (elegant saber and dagger) so I fail to see how animation could have anything to do with this either.

There is either some absolutely atrocious coding going on with all this or they just hate money.  My bet is on the atrocious coding.  I for one wish they'd bite the bullet and just untangle the spaghetti they have holding the game together and make it functional.

5 minutes ago, (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan said:

The only place I have ever heard that is from players making excuses for DE.  I've never heard DE address this at all.  It's probably partially true, but I think it's more spaghetti code than just an animation issue.  When you look at the options that are currently available and what they work with, it makes zero sense.

It was mentioned in a dev stream awhile back when they answered a question from someone, but it could be any number of things right down to how many new plat sales skins will generate

Archived