Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Grineer Flamethrower Launcher Pistol idea!

(XBOX)Fluffywolf36

I don't normally do this, (unless it's for a Frame, or open-world ideas) but my thread has gotten very long and I want to draw some attention towards it. So anyway, this is the newest weapon from my huge weapons thread, which you can find here.

The idea behind this weapon is that it's essentially the Nilben Launcher from Spacelords, which fires a mine... that then launches a flamethrower towards you. This felt especially funny and exploitable in Warframe, so I came up with a version that'd work in this game.

Grineer 'Avanc' Launcher pistol

“A relic of the Grineer-Narmer War, designed in Tengus’ labs. Each bullet from this pistol is actually a tiny Infested organism, which burrows into enemies and spawns a barnacle-like organism that sprays fire in the direction of the wielder . A Tenno that advances quickly can redirect the flame towards enemies, becoming an unpredictable force of destruction.”
--Codex

grineer__avanc__pistol_by_fluffywolf36_d

Lore

Whose idea was this?!”

–Haruka Lorne

“It was me. I will not apologize for art.”
Ginebra Oster

As much as the Grineer Empire have culture, the still-raging Mercury Front left an indelible stain on it. Of the Grineer-Narmer War (typically referred to by Corpus, Tenno, Ostron, and others as the New War) it was truly the Grineer’s most brutal battle, earning a status as equally revered and reviled as the Battle of Venus is to the Corpus.

Narmer razed Grineer complexes, veiling their personnel with impunity and liberating hostages, and Infested outbreaks were seen as a quirk of strategy, such as planning around a storm on Earth or Mars. Grineer deserted to Steel Meridian (or even Kahl’s Regiment) en masse. In addition, they found themselves fighting alongside Corpus auxiliaries to burn out the Infested, which caused no small amount of friction and “friendly” fire incidents.

This is still going on, in reduced capacity, but the Avanc is a relic of the worst of that time. Built in the labs of Doctor Tengus, even as the Mercury Front raged outside, this pistol speaks to an unsettling truth: 

That the Grineer broke the Gradivus Accords to experiment in Infestation-based weaponry.

These pistols were found in Tengus labs on the battle-wracked Mercury, abandoned in one of the three-way battle between Grineer (and allied forces), Narmer, and Infested that still rages to this day.

Each bullet that this pistol fires is in actuality an Infested organism that shoots a spray of flame…. Towards the wielder… on impact.

Whoever designed it must have been quite mad at the time.

The concept behind the Avanc can best be described as “amazingly stupid.” Each bullet is, in fact, an incubator for an Infested mollusc-like creature that sprays fire in the direction of the wielder. Tenno who stay mobile on the battlefield prosper with this pistol, as the flamethrower they’ve spawned tracks them while they rush behind enemy targets in its way.

In addition, the Infested organism holds more “fuel” if it impacts an enemy. Much of the flesh (or metal) displaced by the impact of the round is devoured by the Infested organism, which uses it to further fuel its flamethrower.

Information on its intended use is, to put it simply, conflicting. It has obvious utility against Infested with its incendiary damage, but this is difficult to reconcile with Tengus’ obsession with Infestation. Reports suggest that it was used in the Grineer-Narmer war, further suggesting that it was an anti-Narmer weapon.

It has three main users. Firstly, the Grineer - While various Grineer commanders in anti-Infested “Cellwatch” units use it in a rocket launcher-like role, it’s also common as a sidearm for Grineer Hellions, some of the only Grineer units with the mobility to take the fullest advantage of this weapon.

Secondly, and perhaps most surprisingly, Solaris “zit-poppers.” Among those contracted to purge or contain the Mercury strain or the Venusian ‘Draugr’ strain, this weapon fetches a high price. 

Thirdly, predictably, the Tenno.

This weapon’s potential with a Warframe’s mobility is, not to put too fine a point on it, Kavatnip to a Tenno. Firing at an enemy, watching the flame lance out towards enemies, and controlling it with their mad dashes…

It’s child’s play for them. One particular quirk of this weapon is that it doesn’t track towards a Tenno in Operator mode, so they can keep its location fixed by staying in Operator mode.

Also, only five flamethrowers can be active at one time. Firing more than that number just causes shots to explode, dealing radial heat damage. I’m too lazy to stat this.

Shared Stats

Fire Rate: 2.8

Reload: 3s

Magazine: 9

On Impact

Status Chance: 18%

Critical Chance: 33%

Critical Multiplier: 2.7x

Headshot Multiplier: 3.15x

Damage: 120

55 Impact

40 Slash

15 Puncture

Projectile Type: Non-hitscan

Flamethrower

Magazine: 10

Critical Chance: 18%

Critical Multiplier: 2.7x

Damage: 28 Heat

Status Chance: 33%

Range: 8m

Projectile Type: Discharge

Artist Notes:

Fun fact: Originally, this was a Tenno weapon, but it'd been awhile since I made a Grineer gun and this just seemed to fit,  so then I was all like "Eh"

Digital Extremes once divided their weapons into various categories of precision, crowd control, and bullethose. My thread has innovated a new category partly inspired by playing Spacelords awhile back (I miss Ginebra’s booty) - Flow weapons.

This is a weapon directly interacts with or exaggerates your playstyle - for example, there’s an LMG I made that gains increased damage and fire rate once you cast an ability, a shotgun pistol that refills ammo on melee kills, another shotgun pistol that decreases in accuracy the lower the magazine to encourage you to get up close and personal, and also a revolver pistol I made that has a cryotic shotgun to set enemies up for devastating headshots and/or melee combos.  I’m going to be honest, I think my ability to create gimmicks that aren’t too dependent on headshots kind of peaked on that one. Sort of - I mean, it still requires headshots, but you don’t need them all the time.

There’s also one other thing that all those weapons have in common - oddball stats that encourage strange build setups. For example, the LMG also increases status, so you can have a gun that does 100% status and 100% crit if you build it right or get a unicorn riven. Also, using Mesa’s 1 counts as tapping the ability key twice. And for one of the shotgun pistols, magazine size is tied to accuracy, so adding Ice Storm increases the accuracy of the second and third shots.

This pistol's no different. So here’s some funny notes on things you can do with it: 

• It only spawns one flamethrower. I just didn’t want to go there. The beam from said flamethrower, however, is affected by multishot.

• Beam length is affected by Ruinous Extension. So you might want to put that in Exilus.

• Beam can benefit from Fulmination and Amalgam Furax Body Count.

• Because the beam has its own magazine size, it also benefits from Ice Storm and Combo Fury.

I don’t exactly know how this would get along with Mirage, or lots of other particular Frame interactions, but trust me - this thing is very breakable.

The reload is also inspired by the M1941 Johnson rifle!

4 hours ago, (XBOX)Fluffywolf36 said:

The idea behind this weapon is that it's essentially the Nilben Launcher from Spacelords, which fires a mine... that then launches a flamethrower towards you.
grineer__avanc__pistol_by_fluffywolf36_d

Sure its not The Scrambler from Enter the Gungeon?

Also, i didnt really like how the Nilben Launcher from SpaceLords works, some maps in Warframe have very tight corridors which would make the flame effect redundant unless enemies manage to move around the target the capsule is attached to and moving from side to side to get the flames to shoot towards enemies will be quite difficult.
I would rather it acted as a rocket sending the hit enemy flying like a projectile dealing heavy impact damage to it and any enemy it hits or when hitting obstacles.

On Impact

Damage: 120

55 Impact

40 Slash

15 Puncture

110 Damage, also given its a thick capsule it makes no sense having that high amount of slash. There are weapons in the game that deal a single physical damage type so theres no reason it can deal 110 Impact.

• It only spawns one flamethrower. I just didn’t want to go there. The beam from said flamethrower, however, is affected by multishot.

• Beam length is affected by Ruinous Extension. So you might want to put that in Exilus.

• Beam can benefit from Fulmination and Amalgam Furax Body Count.

• Because the beam has its own magazine size, it also benefits from Ice Storm and Combo Fury.

- MultiShot Should affect only the number of capsules fired by the weapon, not the number of flame bursts they do to avoid double dipping.
- This weapon is primarily a Projectile weapon meaning it wont benefit from Beam Length mods but instead Projectile Speed mods.
- Amalgam Furax's Fire Rate bonus should only apply to the weapon shooting projectiles, not the speed at which the capsules spew flames, not only because it makes no sense but again to avoid double dipping.
- The Flame from the capsules would act as a timed effect and not as a weapon of its own, meaning mods that give Magazine Size should not affect it. Would make more sense you asking for DE to allow [Perpetual Agony] to affect the duration of the capsules instead.

49 minutes ago, BiancaRoughfin said:

Sure its not The Scrambler from Enter the Gungeon?

I just used that as the color palette and forgot to get rid of it cause it was funnier.

Love the Scrambler lol.

49 minutes ago, BiancaRoughfin said:

I would rather it acted as a rocket sending the hit enemy flying like a projectile dealing heavy impact damage to it and any enemy it hits or when hitting obstacles.

5 hours ago, (XBOX)Fluffywolf36 said:

I mean I see where you're coming from, but we have lots of launcher pistols. The whole idea was "it would be really funny to exploit Tenno movement abilities with the Nilben."

....For real though, I do see the point about its interactions with corridors. I will admit that's something I didn't consider.

51 minutes ago, BiancaRoughfin said:

110 Damage, also given its a thick capsule it makes no sense having that high amount of slash. There are weapons in the game that deal a single physical damage type so theres no reason it can deal 110 Impact.

5 hours ago, (XBOX)Fluffywolf36 said:

What if the capsule just shatters on impact? :P

I'm aware the damage types might be a little at odds with the lore, this is mostly just to ensure that you get the procs you like on impact.

52 minutes ago, BiancaRoughfin said:

- MultiShot Should affect only the number of capsules fired by the weapon, not the number of flame bursts they do to avoid double dipping.

I see the point, but I didn't want to be at risk of causing four of these per shot. I wanted to create the Nilben's flamethrower effect, and figured that just having one flamer affected by multishot was a safer bet.

53 minutes ago, BiancaRoughfin said:

- This weapon is primarily a Projectile weapon meaning it wont benefit from Beam Length mods but instead Projectile Speed mods.

The beam length mods are because I was treating the flame burst as a separate weapon with its own rules. It would benefit from projectile speed too, at least for the main projectile. Most of the stats here are, all honesty, just me kind of taking the piss by adding as many odd exploitable loopholes as I can.

55 minutes ago, BiancaRoughfin said:

- The Flame from the capsules would act as a timed effect and not as a weapon of its own, meaning mods that give Magazine Size should not affect it. Would make more sense you asking for DE to allow [Perpetual Agony] to affect the duration of the capsules instead.

....That's a good point. I didn't think of that. My bad on that one, and (genuinely) thank you for pointing that out.

The mag size is, again, me kinda taking the piss because I thought it'd be funny to add Chilling Reload onto this and affect the DPS.

Archived