Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can Hydroid please get a rework DE.

TheGodofWiFi

Hydroid is largely viewed as being one of, if not the worst frame in the entire game these days. He has long been suffering from a very outdated, very janky, awkward and frankly boring kit that is not effective at anything it tries to do - i.e; damage, CC, utility - and promotes a playstyle that goes completely against Warframe's current gameplay loop. This frame excels at absolutely nothing except for dedicated farming and even then, most people prefer to take Khora and/or Nekros over him because they have better, more reliable powers even though Khora's loot gain is lower.

He desperately needs a rework in order to bring him up to the current standard of this game. Can he please be the next frame to get your full reworking attention DE, because right now Hydroid just does not work. Water-manipulation is a pretty powerful ability and it really feels like Hydroid is not taking advantage of it.

Signed; a long suffering Hydroid enthusiast.

I love Hydroid, and that's why I also think he deserves a bit more attention from the devs. At least, remove the charging mechanics (cast on max stats), remove the additional drain on movement while on Undertow and make the Tentacles capture range more reliable.

By the way, as the 2022 stats are available, Hydroid is one of the less used frames (whith Nyx and Banshee - normal and prime versions together) : 0.47% in 2022 (while he had 1.3% use rate on 2020 , when Hydroid Prime was given as Twitch Drop for Tennocon 2020 and 0.88% in 2021). I hope these frames will get the same kind of treatment as Grendel.

IDK, I like his kit, just feel it needs a synergy and damge pass. TBH, i just want to live my puddle dreams.

Though if he was to have an update, id like to see his barrage become a much larger AoE, less damage but more effective CC, and let it apply a defence debuff to eximus. Also, make his puddle a deployable like frost snowglobe that he can enter or exit at will.

2 minutes ago, (NSW)AegisFifi said:

By the way, as the 2022 stats are available, Hydroid is one of the less used frames (whith Nyx and Banshee - normal and prime versions together) : 0.47% in 2022 (while he had 1.3% use rate on 2020 , when Hydroid Prime was given as Twitch Drop for Tennocon 2020 and 0.88% in 2021). I hope these frames will get the same kind of treatment as Grendel.

Its funny. I dont use her, but Nyx with the chaos augment is really strong. Never felt too interested in Banshee, but i feel alot of frames without some sort of survival mechanic dont get as much use.

il y a 5 minutes, chaotea a dit :

Its funny. I dont use her, but Nyx with the chaos augment is really strong. Never felt too interested in Banshee, but i feel alot of frames without some sort of survival mechanic dont get as much use.

Trinity, Nyx and Banshee are my favorite frames. Banshee is, in my opinion, the most polyvalent and powerful frame in the game. Nyx is also excellent and so powerful. As you can see, the less used frames are the ones I love the most 😆.

I think their problem (Nyx, Banshee and Hydroid) is that they have mechanics that are not always very clear for new players.

Banshee, as an exemple, is an absolute "low level nuker" that can be used to easily clear the normal Starchart with no difficulties at all, but almost no new player knows that.

Hydroid farmig mechanics are really great, but some players will go for Nekros or Khora.

Hydroid has really nice CC and, after his last "little buff" he can cast Tidal Surge with almost no energy cost (or even getting some energy while moving). It's possible to make a whole tour of the Plains of Eidolon without losing energy.

Perhaps more in game information about these frames would already be nice for new players.

58 minutes ago, (NSW)AegisFifi said:

At least, remove the charging mechanics (cast on max stats), remove the additional drain on movement while on Undertow and make the Tentacles capture range more reliable.

Back when Hydroid was first released, he didn't have any charge mechanics, so they made Hydroid worse with his 2017 changes which I still find baffling to this day. However, even without the charge mechanics, his abilities were still considered pretty meh. So they need to do more than just removing the charge mechanics.

Undertow in its current form is hated by virtually everyone. It's slow, its damage ramp-up is pitiful and its gameplay is boring. Removing its energy drain won't do anything to fix it since that's not the main problem with the ability. His tentacles capture range also isn't the main problem with the ability, its the RNG mechanics and poor damage.

IMO Hydroid needs a full mechanical overhaul. Not a whole new set of abilities because I doubt that will ever happen, but a whole reworking of how his current abilities work mechanically. Like say for example, combining Undertow with Tentacle Swarm, only instead of Hydroid sinking into a puddle and the tentacles spawnign randomly around the place, you summon a pool of water around Hydroid which the tentacles spawn from and they move around with Hydroid. Or combining Undertow with Tidal Surge so that when you dash through enemies it absorbs them into the water trap, kind of like how Grendel's first ability works now.

Just a rework along those lines would be a step in the right direction IMO.

1 hour ago, chaotea said:

IDK, I like his kit, just feel it needs a synergy and damge pass. TBH, i just want to live my puddle dreams.

Though if he was to have an update, id like to see his barrage become a much larger AoE, less damage but more effective CC, and let it apply a defence debuff to eximus. Also, make his puddle a deployable like frost snowglobe that he can enter or exit at will.

I respectfully disagree with you on Undertow and I believe most of the community would as well. Turning into a puddle is one of the biggest criticisms levelled against Hydroid over the years, due to how boring and inefficient the ability is. It also removes all your normal movement and the ability to use your weapons, basically the majority of the games interaction. Its not just the low damage that people don't like; its the boring gameplay it promotes. Making is deployable like Snowglobe won't actually fix it because it's core problems would still remain.

Don't get me wrong, I too find the idea of turning into water a novelty with a lot of fun potential, but Undertow as it is right now is not the way to do it.

il y a une heure, TheGodofWiFi a dit :

However, even without the charge mechanics, his abilities were still considered pretty meh. So they need to do more than just removing the charge mechanics.

I agree with you. I was just saying that the strict minimum  (if we don't get a complete rework) is to remove the charging mechanics and the additional energy drain and fix the tentacle problem.

il y a une heure, TheGodofWiFi a dit :

Or combining Undertow with Tidal Surge so that when you dash through enemies it absorbs them into the water trap

It's supposed to do that. This is also something that is not working well. When you cast Tidal Surge while on Undertow you can even lose enemies that were inside the "puddle".

13 minutes ago, (NSW)AegisFifi said:

I agree with you. I was just saying that the strict minimum  (if we don't get a complete rework) is to remove the charging mechanics and the additional energy drain and fix the tentacle problem.

It's supposed to do that. This is also something that is not working well. When you cast Tidal Surge while on Undertow you can even lose enemies that were inside the "puddle".

Ah right. Yea I would consider the removal of the charge mechanics, fixing the energy drain and tentacles to be the bare minimum, but I really hope they don't just do that since Hydroid needs a lot more. DE really cannot afford to cut corners with band-aid fixes for Hydroid as they have tried to in the past and it has only made him worse. He needs their full attention IMO.

When I say Undertow should be combined with Tidal Surge, I don't mean how it currently works, where its glitchy and clunky to use. I mean that when you dash forward, a temporary Undertow Puddle follows you until you stop dashing. Basically, remove Undertow as an ability entirely and combine with Tidal Surge. So it's not something Hydroid goes into, its an AOE that only appears when Tidal Surge is active if you see what I mean. Also I would change it so that enemies don't just get dragged around under the map since that has always been horribly janky. Hydroid could absorb a limited number of enemies kind of like how Grendel does and they could provide him with a buff of some kind. Again this is just me throwing ideas at a wall though.

This would also make room for a new ability in his kit preferably one that is focused on survivability, but unlike Undertow, it actually allows you to play the game. 

2 hours ago, TheGodofWiFi said:

I respectfully disagree with you on Undertow and I believe most of the community would as well. Turning into a puddle is one of the biggest criticisms levelled against Hydroid over the years, due to how boring and inefficient the ability is. It also removes all your normal movement and the ability to use your weapons, basically the majority of the games interaction. Its not just the low damage that people don't like; its the boring gameplay it promotes. Making is deployable like Snowglobe won't actually fix it because it's core problems would still remain.

I think i also mentioned moving in and out of it too.

16 minutes ago, chaotea said:

I think i also mentioned moving in and out of it too.

Yes and I said this won't fix the abilities core issues; which is that it is boring, inefficient, static and takes away most of the games interactions. Being able to freely jump in and out of deployable Undertows isn't any better than how it is now. 

Archived