Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(Archon) Disruption while hard of hearing

Yggdrazzil

My hearing isn't great.

Even with every other source of sound disabled on my computer and my vicinity ("Can you please be quiet because I'm trying to hear a specific sound in this game") I cannot always distinguish the Demolyst beep from the other in-game SFX.

Requiring line of sight on the Demolyst for them to appear on the radar is simply not good enough a solution because there are map locations where you can't keep eyes on every direction the Demolyst can come from. Especially in areas where they can appear from above or below as well.

I know memorising where the Demolysts can come from can help, but I do not enjoy the game mode enough to justify learning all the maps.

On top of that, with high level Demolysts in the Archon mission I need a bit of time to buff, armor strip and kill them from outside their nullifier range so simply waiting until they are on top of the defense objective is not a solution.

Possible solutions:

Make them show up on radar without requiring line of sight

Give them a separate SFX category so I can mute everything else in-game except for their beep (this wont help deaf people though..)

They have a VFX, a small red indicator that appears on the edge of your HUD that isn't dependent on LOS. This is what I use and find it to be pretty reliable although you do have to get used to it since it is not something that is obvious. I personally face away from the demo's Point of Origin and try to spot it on the bottom of my screen.

Memorizing the title layouts is something that will help you and something you should be doing even if you don't play disruption. 

Despite the VFX being a very small red indicator I think it seems fitting when compared to people saying that it is hard to hear the sound cue with regular sound levels.

Now that everyone is talking about Disruption and hard of hearing can we please talk about an even worse gamemode: (Sortie) Lua rescue? Where you are punished way worse if you can't hear.

Im near deaf in my left ear and have a hard time with any audio tones in the game. There is a red indicator but it is hard to orientate yourself to the proper direction because it spins around the hud. Kinda like the yellow obj marker. It would be nice if there were a indicator arrow but you're better off using the magnus lockdown arcane. I feel like DE wouldn't make something just for the hearing impaired people because everyone would use it to make their own game easier. Would be nice tho.

what I use is a ton of enemy radar. usually enemy radar aura, vigilante pursuit, and primed animal instinct is enough. what you're looking for is a red arrow that is very far away from the rest of the enemies and near one of the demo spawn locations. nine times out of ten its going to be the demo.

11 hours ago, XHADgaming said:

They have a VFX, a small red indicator that appears on the edge of your HUD that isn't dependent on LOS. This is what I use and find it to be pretty reliable although you do have to get used to it since it is not something that is obvious. I personally face away from the demo's Point of Origin and try to spot it on the bottom of my screen.

Memorizing the title layouts is something that will help you and something you should be doing even if you don't play disruption. 

Despite the VFX being a very small red indicator I think it seems fitting when compared to people saying that it is hard to hear the sound cue with regular sound levels.

Now that everyone is talking about Disruption and hard of hearing can we please talk about an even worse gamemode: (Sortie) Lua rescue? Where you are punished way worse if you can't hear.

Funnily enough, I was told about this years ago and despite knowing about it I have only been able to see it two or three times over years of disruption missions, it just blends in with the SFX, even if I have reduced them to almost minimal intensity.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes i think it should get fixed.

Few of my clanmates have a hearing issue as well.

I usually listen to podcasts/music when i play- there's no deducated slider for demos either.
At least give a separated slider like octavia has.

In terms of the visual clue- i barely saw it on release, but now i put an eff intensity closer to a min end- to put less
strain on the eyes- there's no deducated option there either.

Archived