Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Teleport Volumes are Obnoxious.

Bluemillion

Teleport Volumes are the mechanic where you fall into a pit, blackout, and reset, losing your buffs and the energy used to cast them. Except it's not just pits, the things are everywhere. What's really grinding my gears are the ones that act as a ceiling. In a game with as many movement options as Warframe, it's far too easy to fly a little too high and not only lose your position, but your buffs as well. They make using Zephyr a nightmare. They make void sling a gamble. The worst part is, there's no visual indication of a barrier. For example, the Orokin tower tileset, specifically the defense map. There's a teleport volume halfway to the ceiling, with no visible indication of a hazard. If you don't want us clinging to the ceiling, maybe put some poison gas fog or some electrical arcs or invincible turrets that shoot you if you go too high. For open sky tilesets, maybe raise the level of the teleport volume and add a visible indication of a barrier that shows when you start getting close. For the corpus outpost tileset, you could have a cold damage volume precede the actual teleport, so there's a explanation for why you can't go higher.

In summary:

-Consider alternatives to teleport volumes when designing levels, such as damaging hazards.

-Add some manner of visual indication of their presence.

-Reconsider removing buffs from players as a penalty.

18 minutes ago, Bluemillion said:

Teleport Volumes are the mechanic where you fall into a pit, blackout, and reset, losing your buffs and the energy used to cast them.

Honestly, only the ceiling ones bother me, i feel they make no sense, limiting how high a player can jump. Instead of blackscreening, these should just apply increasing force downwards on the player the higher they go so they dont go beyond some limit.

The Pit ones i dont bother with, there are games with much more punishing consequences for falling into pits like loosing a percentage of your health or just instantly dying.
Energy is easy to come by these days so its not like you cant just recast your ability just after returning to your previous jump position. Arcane buffs arent lost so no big deal there.

9 minutes ago, Bluemillion said:

They make using Zephyr a nightmare

As a Zephyr main with over 9 years of experience using her, i know well your pain. In the case of Void Defense that was added because there are some ledges up there where players can hide and afk during the mission tho the ideal would have been just adding some invisible walls to prevent players from reaching them, same as done on Hydron tho one one in Hydron was lazily made, they could have just added the invisible walls to the ledges so players couldnt stand on them, instead it prevents players from jumping all the way to the ceiling which limits mobility.

It's really bad on older tilesets like Grineer Shipyard. My guess is those tilesets were designed when we had way less vertical movement options, so the ceilings were already relatively high just for that. Now we can practically fly, but the maps were never updated to accomodate for that.

Teleport volumes in pits make sense, and also serve a gameplay purpose for clearing buffs and such, even if there's a number of places where they start far too high and where, with modern mobility, it would be trivial to leave, however when it comes to going up or out, I think invisible walls are far preferable, they are artificial as hell and often frustrating, of course, but teleport volumes are that and more.

Archived