Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sentients and Crustacean ties

MarsInAres

15 hours ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

Pincers, a piece of anatomy that non-crustaceans have as well.  With respect, this is not a compelling argument.

Are there any other creatures outside of sea creatures/crustaceans that have pincers? I take it they’re from Australia if anything.

Edit: excluding bugs of course

Edited by Malikili
Edit

4 hours ago, Malikili said:

Are there any other creatures outside of sea creatures/crustaceans that have pincers? I take it they’re from Australia if anything.

Edit: excluding bugs of course

You got there without me! ;)

My only addition would be that it's common for artists to draw from the broader set of human phobias/discomforts when creating fictional creatures that are intended to unsettle viewers, and with humans generally having an innate subconscious discomfort of insects, that's a common well for designs to draw visual elements from.  So there's a long history of creatures in popular culture that have things like pincers regardless of the fact that they are neither insects nor arthropods.  Art echoes life, but it also echoes other art, and sometimes for reasons no more meaningful than "this looks cool/scary/etc".

16 hours ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

You got there without me! ;)

My only addition would be that it's common for artists to draw from the broader set of human phobias/discomforts when creating fictional creatures that are intended to unsettle viewers, and with humans generally having an innate subconscious discomfort of insects, that's a common well for designs to draw visual elements from.  So there's a long history of creatures in popular culture that have things like pincers regardless of the fact that they are neither insects nor arthropods.  Art echoes life, but it also echoes other art, and sometimes for reasons no more meaningful than "this looks cool/scary/etc".

Makes sense how insects and crabs/lobsters have pincers
They're related after all which is... scary