Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What are some action games that are similar to warframe style of story telling and deep lore ?

MouadSaqui

Of the games I've played, I think that the Dark Souls and Elden Ring games are probably the closest.  They are less cinematic in their story-telling than Warframe, but they are similar in their more passive approach to it.  In all of these games, it's easy to misunderstand or not fully grasp the story because it's rarely being spelled out for you; rather, the player is expected to be capable of taking in information, reading between the lines, and filling in the gaps.  In addition, these games have meaningful aspects of their lore hidden throughout the world, whether within a Cephalon Fragment or as text on a sword.  And I would say that the lore of these worlds is of a very similar depth, though one is dark sci-fi and the others dark fantasy.

• Like 1

I'd say Risk of Rain 2 might have what you're looking for. Just playing the game, you'd think the story was "Drop down onto an uncharted planet where a cargo-hauling starship crashed, then teleport from area to area while everything tries to kill you until you end up on the moon, kill a dude with a hammer and fly off into space as said moon explodes".

The actual story is told across item descriptions, monster logs, and environment scans, and it involves a tragic tale of gods, brotherly love, betrayal and retribution.

Edited by Corvid