Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chinese Game Law Changes

(XBOX)Craverns

Question

With the changes to laws in China regarding video games with daily login rewards and microtransactions, and Tencent losing almost $50 billion in market value due to these changes, should we be concerned about the future of Warframe and Soulframe? Is it too early to say, or does Warframe make enough profit that it won’t be troubled by the difficulties of the parent company? Will our personal information be stored on local servers in China? Will daily login rewards be removed?

These are more curious questions than actual concerns, but I would like to know if we should expect changes to the game due to the new regulations.

2 answers to this question

23 hours ago, (XBOX)Craverns said:

With the changes to laws in China regarding video games with daily login rewards and microtransactions, and Tencent losing almost $50 billion in market value due to these changes, should we be concerned about the future of Warframe and Soulframe? Is it too early to say, or does Warframe make enough profit that it won’t be troubled by the difficulties of the parent company? Will our personal information be stored on local servers in China? Will daily login rewards be removed?

These are more curious questions than actual concerns, but I would like to know if we should expect changes to the game due to the new regulations.

If you play the Chinese version of the game published by WeGame (formerly Changyou), then perhaps. But we play the International version of the game that is developed & published by Digital Extremes themselves.

Our (that is, users of the International version of the game) data is stored on DE's servers, or the servers they lease out for data storage (i.e. Amazon Web Services). This is unlikely to change, and there is no point in migrating users' account data to servers in China (if anything it would be incredibly detrimental on many fronts).

• Like 1