The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Aliases identical across platforms

EllyTheSkelli

I think having a way to make all merged/connected accounts run under the same name, rather than it being dictated by platform would be nice. This should make it easier for players to keep track of who is who, in addition to it being easier to keep track of for the individual player. I suggest letting players choose upon connecting, or using the primary account name as the username in game for all platforms.

Edited by EllyTheSkelli

3 hours ago, EllyTheSkelli said:

I think having a way to make all merged/connected accounts run under the same name, rather than it being dictated by platform would be nice. This should make it easier for players to keep track of who is who, in addition to it being easier to keep track of for the individual player. I suggest letting players choose upon connecting, or using the primary account name as the username in game for all platforms.

The potential problem I see there is that if I were "Packetdancer" on PC, and someone had beaten me to the name on PSN. Let's say imaginary PSN Packetdancer does not set up cross-save, so "Packetdancer" (as their PSN name) is their canonical (and only) account name in Warframe. Now I merge my accounts, making my PC one the "canon" one. Yay! Now my friend who plays on Playstation can friend me as Packetda- wait a second, which Packetdancer gets the friend request?

Sure, you can use the numeric suffix a'la old-school Discord, and you could show cross-save accounts as PC all the time for clarity, and so on. The issues aren't insurmountable... but I feel like it still becomes clunky.

I recognize, however, that some might be okay with the clunkiness, so it may not be a deal-breaker; I can't say, because I recognize I'm not the best-equipped to judge the importance of it. My PC handle is Packetdancer, my PSN is Packetdancer, my XBL is Packetdancer, and my Nintendo account is -- unsurprisingly -- Packetdancer; I already have a uniform username.

11 hours ago, Packetdancer said:

Sure, you can use the numeric suffix a'la old-school Discord, and you could show cross-save accounts as PC all the time for clarity, and so on. The issues aren't insurmountable... but I feel like it still becomes clunky.

I believe I remember talks about a numeric suffix already with cross play.

"What are these numbers that I see next to my alias?

To help identify players who have the same name across different platforms, everyone has been assigned a numeric suffix. This suffix is only necessary when you are looking to invite someone into your squad or chatting with players who have the same name." From the cross platform play FAQ.

11 hours ago, Packetdancer said:

I recognize, however, that some might be okay with the clunkiness, so it may not be a deal-breaker; I can't say, because I recognize I'm not the best-equipped to judge the importance of it. My PC handle is Packetdancer, my PSN is Packetdancer, my XBL is Packetdancer, and my Nintendo account is -- unsurprisingly -- Packetdancer; I already have a uniform username.

But I'll be fair too, my biggest problem isn't really that they're different. It's the fact that all the information that was out when I merged seemed to indicate that it would keep all data, including username, from the primary account. I had an old and barely used PC account, and if the information about names had been available, I would have created a new account with a name I'd like to be known as. And that is at least fixed now, so hopefully they can avoid more people making the same mistake.

I did also see someone mention having trouble with Warframe market now, as it displays forum name (PC), no matter what platform you are on, so he can no longer trade through it on Xbox.

The cost to change name is also pretty high for it to only get changed on one platform (I'm not certain on that, but it read that way while I was talking to support. I'm not getting 200 platinum to test it).