The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So... Multishot. Again.

On 2/22/2024 at 3:14 PM, UnstarPrime said:

Actually, that time has officially passed.  There is no weapon where you have to use a specific mod.  Primaries and Secondaries can get their flat damage from Arcanes, and Melee has had Condition Overload (and arguably Sacrificial Pressure) for years now.

Similarly, players now have a variety of choices for how they'll get their multishot, such as Conjunction Voltage and Primary Frostbite.  Mods are not necessary to get this stat.

These are all viable options that players can choose from when making their builds.

I haven’t worked on maxing many of the newer arcanes yet, but I can see where you’re coming from looking at the stats. You could conceivably give up one mod for another if you’re able to use one of the right arcanes. Of course, it’s hard to argue with just using all of the extra damage you can fit into a weapon. But I suppose that’s why I’ve built out some weapons for non-steel path content just to do silly things other than just maximizing effectiveness or damage. 

one of my favorite build changes they’ve added in the last three years were incarnon weapons (and incarnon genesis) and amalgam mods. I enjoy the incarnon’s upgrade trees, and the fun (and sometimes weird) stuff you can get into with them. Reminds me a little bit of before mods worked the way they do now, but done better and as an addition to the mod system. 
amalgam mods are fun because you give up a tiny bit of something to get something else, often on a different piece of equipment. 

On 2/22/2024 at 7:00 PM, Unus said:

I wonder if they could keep Primed Pressure Point, Pointblank, and the like, by effectively making it an “upgrade” to the innate Pressure Point system? Have it stretch the damage multiplying bar a bit further when you apply it to a weapon, but have some manner of cost associated with it, perhaps eating into modification capacity, but, without applying as a mod?  I can happily agree with your multishot idea as is as well!

It would probably be possible, perhaps with a menu like we have on incarnon weapons. multishot would function a lot more like fire rate mods do, trading ammo economy for extra DPS (and chances for status effects, which does kind of just make it better than fire rate). More mod slots is never a bad thing, in my opinion.

9 minutes ago, voltocitygel said:

amalgam mods are fun because you give up a tiny bit of something to get something else, often on a different piece of equipment. 

My only problem with the Amalgam mods is that they've single-handedly killed shotguns for me, since Amalgam Serration can't be used on them and there's no amount of damage that can compete with a mod that makes me go fast!  XD

• Like 1

Honestly it's weird that it was set up the way it was in the beginning. In Dark Sector there was actually a multishot mod you could get for your pistol but it used more ammo. Thing would had probably spiraled out of control at a slower pace or not at all if it was balanced like that again. But that bridge was crossed. The work involved and the player whining there's no way that's ever going to change.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UnstarPrime said:

My only problem with the Amalgam mods is that they've single-handedly killed shotguns for me, since Amalgam Serration can't be used on them and there's no amount of damage that can compete with a mod that makes me go fast!  XD

I rarely used shotguns beforehand, so it hasn’t really altered my usage, but I totally get what you mean. The other day I did the shotgun only mission in the sortie and I felt SO SLOW. 

• Like 2

I had a somewhat decent comment. deleted it.

snark it is.

I too, discovered the concept of player-progression when I played Final Fantasy six. Frankly, I thought it was hilarious to have Locke, Celes, Terra, Sabin, Edgar, and Cyan all equipped with Ultima, Cure-3, and Life-3. Kefka got Mc#*!%en clapped.

FF6 released in 1994. Progression in games haven't changed much because the formula works. You start with a sword and maybe Fire-1. You finish with 'Vibe-Check Party-Wipe' and '9999 Damage the Spell'.

• Like 1