Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

PSA: Twitch Drops for viewers on iOS Devices

[DE]Taylor

On 2024-02-27 at 1:34 PM, Karlchen007 said:

I tried this with last week drops. Progress is still working, but you can’t claim them on any iOS device.

You also can’t claim them with a different browser on an iOS device. Tried it with safari and chrome. Once you load twich.tv you are told to open the iOS app. You can’t log in your twich account in a browser, at least those two. So you can still watch, but need to claim the items on a non-iOS device. 

you can. don't know about chrome, i have Firefox on my phone. just open it, go to twitch, then in Firefox drop down menu click request desktop sight. log in & watch & clam.

• Like 1

Yeah setting the twitch tab to desktop mode is the way to go. I do it on my phone all the time for gifting subs because im not gonna pay the google tax for doing twitch subs through the app.

when you first open twitch, it will say to go to the app, but when you switch the tab to desktop mode it will look just like on a computer, you can log in and you get the standard charge rate

• Like 1

It’s probably Apples fault. They want their pound of flesh for an item of any value if it can be used on IOS. So if they want to give out forma apple will demand their 30% of the value of the item. Don’t know for sure but Apple is famously obtuse and abusive in this way.

• Like 1

With these changes to claiming on Twitch iOS, I hope that moving forward Twitch drops will no longer be tiered so I can still claim all rewards I earned on iOS when I log in to my PC.

It would suck if iOS users are locked out of tier 2 rewards and beyond.

I was able to earn progress through the iOS app and then claim through Safari on iPhone after requesting the desktop site. A bit extra effort but at least it works.

• Like 3

On 2024-02-29 at 6:34 PM, Rhekinos said:

With these changes to claiming on Twitch iOS, I hope that moving forward Twitch drops will no longer be tiered so I can still claim all rewards I earned on iOS when I log in to my PC.

It would suck if iOS users are locked out of tier 2 rewards and beyond.

Twitch Drops have not been tiered since last year. :) You earn progress on all Drops simultaneously now. 

• Like 3

On 2024-02-29 at 8:25 AM, [DE]Taylor said:

Hi Tenno,

After further testing with our WarframeInternational Stream today, we can confirm that iOS Twitch App viewers still earn Drops progress and are simply restricted from Claiming Drops on their App. Those who earn progress this way will be able to claim their Drop elsewhere, like a web browser, via the twitch.tv/inventory page. 

The PSA has been updated to reflect this!

I'll look into this.

update: doesn't work, I cannot do anything with any browsers until the Twitch stream is over. :facepalm:

On 2024-03-01 at 1:38 AM, Gerlon. said:

Just a suggestion, you may also be able to redeem via an alternate browser like Chrome (on iOS). I opened the twitch progress link using Chrome (on my phone) and I can see my progress from watching. In the iOS app however it just says it’s not available. If you use safari, however, it always automatically opens the twitch iOS app. This might be another way to bypass this issue.

Thank you I'll try that.

Update: I tried it in all my browsers, while the Twitch app is open it won't let me open the link in a browser it defaults to wanting to open the app. :facepalm:

On 2024-03-05 at 6:48 AM, [DE]Taylor said:

Twitch Drops have not been tiered since last year. :) You earn progress on all Drops simultaneously now. 

Thank you for answering the tiered question I was coming here to ask.

I'm a PC-only account no other account, now where I used to watch Twitch on my phone for the streams, so now I have to do another step to claim rewards, damn that sucks but I'll just have to adapt I guess.

Another question I know we cannot collect them anymore on my iPhone but why can't I at least see the progression to double-check it's working even though linking has never been a problem with that but thought I'd ask.

Seems I have to wait until the stream is over before I can see any progress or claim the drops. :facepalm:

Why does Apple have to make crap harder than it should be, seriously technology is meant to make it easier, not add extra steps.

6 hours ago, (PSN)DemiDragonWar said:

So it’s the twitch /twitch app at fault with the drops not being accepted on iOS and we must get the progress by going on safari and or other websites?  Thanks Amazon 

No, it's Apple that doesn't allow it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Slayer-. said:

I'll look into this.

update: doesn't work, I cannot do anything with any browsers until the Twitch stream is over. :facepalm:

Thank you I'll try that.

Update: I tried it in all my browsers, while the Twitch app is open it won't let me open the link in a browser it defaults to wanting to open the app. :facepalm:

Thank you for answering the tiered question I was coming here to ask.

I'm a PC-only account no other account, now where I used to watch Twitch on my phone for the streams, so now I have to do another step to claim rewards, damn that sucks but I'll just have to adapt I guess.

Another question I know we cannot collect them anymore on my iPhone but why can't I at least see the progression to double-check it's working even though linking has never been a problem with that but thought I'd ask.

Seems I have to wait until the stream is over before I can see any progress or claim the drops. :facepalm:

Why does Apple have to make crap harder than it should be, seriously technology is meant to make it easier, not add extra steps.

I was able to see my progress on my iphone using Chrome. I think I forced it to open in a webpage by long pressing on the link (like a mouse right click) and then selecting open in browser. It was a bit annoying and not so simple. Also to have your browser “open desktop version”. The other option is to just delete the twitch app and watch via browser. That seems to work fine?

30 minutes ago, Gerlon. said:

I was able to see my progress on my iphone using Chrome. I think I forced it to open in a webpage by long pressing on the link (like a mouse right click) and then selecting open in browser. It was a bit annoying and not so simple. Also to have your browser “open desktop version”. The other option is to just delete the twitch app and watch via browser. That seems to work fine?

Long holding wasn't working as well I'd already tried that.

I did end up getting around it.

How I did it, with Twitch running a live stream I opened DuckDuckGo and pasted in the link https://link.twitch.tv/drops/inventory I removed the word 'drops' and 'm' for mobile which left me with this link https://link.twitch.tv/inventory which for me works better than the original link, once it opened I saved the page as a Favourite in DuckDuckGo which creates an icon shortcut from the home screen in DuckDuckGo like what Safari does, now I'm able to click the web icon which takes me to the Inventory page to claim rewards and also watch the Stream with the phone app at the same time.

Probably easier ways to do it but I got it to go straight to the Inventory page and bypass the screen wanting to open the phone app so it works for me.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2024 at 6:22 AM, Slayer-. said:

How I did it, with Twitch running a live stream I opened DuckDuckGo and pasted in the link https://link.twitch.tv/drops/inventory I removed the word 'drops' and 'm' for mobile which left me with this link https://link.twitch.tv/inventory which for me works better than the original link, once it opened I saved the page as a Favourite in DuckDuckGo which creates an icon shortcut from the home screen in DuckDuckGo like what Safari does, now I'm able to click the web icon which takes me to the Inventory page to claim rewards and also watch the Stream with the phone app at the same time.

Probably easier ways to do it but I got it to go straight to the Inventory page and bypass the screen wanting to open the phone app so it works for me.

Yes you’re right. Long hold doesn’t work. Maybe I did just copy/paste link like you did?

I missed the relic pack by just 10 or 15 minutes because sometimes it just stops or freezes so I plan to watch at least part of the earlier Spanish dev stream in order to have some “backup” minutes banked. 

Now I have no clue why Amazon has this rule on twitch for the iOS app as its a strange rule but yes as long as you check in a browser you can claim. I have gotten the drop page to open in Firefox on iOS and it shows progress just fine even while watching on an iPad.  though if you want it to change I would say people should start bugging Twitch, At a minimum maybe they will tell you why such exists.

Safari will usually try and open the app, Chrome will sometimes try and open the app, I have had the most luck with forcing Firefox to request the desktop page.  Will be interesting to see if this policy also applies to Android when that version drops.

1 hour ago, Filanwizard said:

Now I have no clue why Amazon has this rule on twitch for the iOS app as its a strange rule but yes as long as you check in a browser you can claim. I have gotten the drop page to open in Firefox on iOS and it shows progress just fine even while watching on an iPad.  though if you want it to change I would say people should start bugging Twitch, At a minimum maybe they will tell you why such exists.

Safari will usually try and open the app, Chrome will sometimes try and open the app, I have had the most luck with forcing Firefox to request the desktop page.  Will be interesting to see if this policy also applies to Android when that version drops.

I'd say it's more an Apple BS security issue they are quite strict on what third parties can have access, I've noticed it a lot going from Android to Apple (not by choice) apps I had on Android that were free or I paid for, to use them on the ios version on Apple the hoops I have to jump through to get them to work is a joke and not worth my time.

Have you tried the method I used below to make it work, I'd say it would work in any browser, when using the full link it wanted to open the app on the phone but by removing one word mentioned in the quote I was able to create a home screen shortcut so when I want to see the drops or look at the progress I click the home screen created an icon and it goes straight to my drops/claims page.
Works for me and that's all I care about but posted it in case it could help someone.

On 2024-03-09 at 1:22 AM, Slayer-. said:

• 2 weeks later...
On 2024-02-27 at 9:02 AM, [DE]Taylor said:

Hi Tenno,

With the release of Warframe on iOS, there are some changes to how viewers using the iOS Twitch App will interact with Warframe Twitch Drop campaigns moving forward. 

Since Warframe is now officially an iOS game, those watching Warframe directory streams via the iOS Twitch App (ex: on an iPhone) will no longer be able to Claim Drops via their App. These viewers will still earn progress towards Twitch Drops Campaigns, but must claim their Drops outside of the iOS Twitch App. This restriction is outlined by Twitch via their official Drops Article.

image.png

We apologize for any confusion this may cause, and will ensure this restriction is clearly communicated in all of our future campaigns. 

Important Clarifications - UPDATED FEB 28:

• Only viewers using the Twitch iOS App will not be able to earn claim Warframe Directory Twitch Drops
    • While you are unable to claim, progress is still earned on the Twitch iOS App. Viewers are then able to Claim these Drops on another device (PC web browser, etc.)
  • Players with an iOS Warframe account should be able to earn Twitch Drops if they view streams on a non-iOS device
    • Ex: a PC web browser, etc.
    • This restriction has nothing to do with what platform you play Warframe on, but rather what device you use to watch our Twitch streams. 
  • Should you wish to participate in Warframe Twitch Drops campaigns, we recommend doing so by viewing eligible streams on a non-iOS device. 

We'll continue to update this post with further details as they come to light.

I had my phone on all night.  Woke up to "Connection Error" in yellow, all over my claims screen and a "cannot collect drops from iOS..." at the top.

God, was I pissed.

I had to let twitch go on my computer, for another 3 hours, to get the first week of drops.

Viewers, beware.

• 3 weeks later...

This needs to be better clarified in the iOS twitch app, because when I check the campaign, it says “We’re sorry, but this campaign is not available on iOS.”  It makes it seem that not even our progress is tracked, as I can’t see any progress made at all.  I only have my iPhone and iPad for web browsing.  This is a big kick in the pants to someone that doesn’t actually own a PC anymore.

13 hours ago, ZakMan24 said:

This needs to be better clarified in the iOS twitch app, because when I check the campaign, it says “We’re sorry, but this campaign is not available on iOS.”  It makes it seem that not even our progress is tracked, as I can’t see any progress made at all.  I only have my iPhone and iPad for web browsing.  This is a big kick in the pants to someone that doesn’t actually own a PC anymore.

The iOS Twitch app isn't made by DE, it's made by Twitch, and this rule wasn't invented by DE, blame Apple for that.

You don't need a PC. You can claim it in a web browser. You just can't claim it in the app.

On 2024-04-18 at 4:24 AM, --N-- said:

The iOS Twitch app isn't made by DE, it's made by Twitch, and this rule wasn't invented by DE, blame Apple for that.

You don't need a PC. You can claim it in a web browser. You just can't claim it in the app.

Except for the fact that I can’t access anything other than https://m.twitch.tv on my mobile browsers, Edge, Safari, Chrome.  They all take me there.  On this version of the site, when you try to login, the only option is “open mobile app”.

There is no option to “view desktop version” or “view full site” or anything similar that would take me to the full PC version of the site.

i haven’t found a way to bypass this mobile version of the site, at all.

If you know of a way to do so, please help.

32 minutes ago, ZakMan24 said:

Except for the fact that I can’t access anything other than https://m.twitch.tv on my mobile browsers, Edge, Safari, Chrome.  They all take me there.  On this version of the site, when you try to login, the only option is “open mobile app”.

There is no option to “view desktop version” or “view full site” or anything similar that would take me to the full PC version of the site.

i haven’t found a way to bypass this mobile version of the site, at all.

If you know of a way to do so, please help.

Chrome on Android has a "Desktop Site" checkbox in the menu. Using that, I can open twitch.tv/drops/inventory and claim drops there. Chrome on iPhone should also have that feature.

On 2024-04-18 at 5:17 AM, ZakMan24 said:

Did you read my post just a little up.

Here is how I do it on Apple.

On 2024-03-16 at 4:24 PM, Slayer-. said:

Have you tried the method I used below to make it work, I'd say it would work in any browser, when using the full link it wanted to open the app on the phone but by removing one word mentioned in the quote I was able to create a home screen shortcut so when I want to see the drops or look at the progress I click the home screen created an icon and it goes straight to my drops/claims page.
Works for me and that's all I care about but posted it in case it could help someone.

How I did it, with Twitch running a live stream I opened DuckDuckGo and pasted in the link https://link.twitch.tv/drops/inventory I removed the word 'drops' and 'm' for mobile which left me with this link https://link.twitch.tv/inventory which for me works better than the original link, once it opened I saved the page as a Favourite in DuckDuckGo which creates an icon shortcut from the home screen in DuckDuckGo like what Safari does, now I'm able to click the web icon which takes me to the Inventory page to claim rewards and also watch the Stream with the phone app at the same time.

Any browser will work.

• Like 1