Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

PSA: Twitch Drops for viewers on iOS Devices

[DE]Taylor

Hi Tenno,

With the release of Warframe on iOS, there are some changes to how viewers using the iOS Twitch App will interact with Warframe Twitch Drop campaigns moving forward. 

Since Warframe is now officially an iOS game, those watching Warframe directory streams via the iOS Twitch App (ex: on an iPhone) will no longer be able to Claim Drops via their App. These viewers will still earn progress towards Twitch Drops Campaigns, but must claim their Drops outside of the iOS Twitch App. This restriction is outlined by Twitch via their official Drops Article.

image.png

We apologize for any confusion this may cause, and will ensure this restriction is clearly communicated in all of our future campaigns. 

Important Clarifications - UPDATED FEB 28:

• Only viewers using the Twitch iOS App will not be able to earn claim Warframe Directory Twitch Drops
    • While you are unable to claim, progress is still earned on the Twitch iOS App. Viewers are then able to Claim these Drops on another device (PC web browser, etc.)
  • Players with an iOS Warframe account should be able to earn Twitch Drops if they view streams on a non-iOS device
    • Ex: a PC web browser, etc.
    • This restriction has nothing to do with what platform you play Warframe on, but rather what device you use to watch our Twitch streams. 
  • Should you wish to participate in Warframe Twitch Drops campaigns, we recommend doing so by viewing eligible streams on a non-iOS device. 

We'll continue to update this post with further details as they come to light.

• Like 10

Darn, at least we’re not totally left out of drops though the app was definitely my main source of Warframe streaming.

1 minute ago, THE_dispicable1_626 said:

So can I earn them through the twitch on my PS5?

Since your PlayStation isn’t an iOS device, it should work just fine!

8 minutes ago, THE_dispicable1_626 said:

So can I earn them through the twitch on my PS5?

nope 

"What devices can I use to claim Drops?

Drops supports using your PC/Mac web browser or on the Twitch app for Android and iOS to earn and claim Drops. Twitch apps on game consoles, smart TVs, and other TV apps do not support Drops at this time."

quoted from the twitch FaQ

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leo_Kliesen_0 said:

nope 

"What devices can I use to claim Drops?

Drops supports using your PC/Mac web browser or on the Twitch app for Android and iOS to earn and claim Drops. Twitch apps on game consoles, smart TVs, and other TV apps do not support Drops at this time."

quoted from the twitch FaQ

While true:

"Why can’t I participate and claim some items on the Twitch iOS app?

Drops that grant rewards for iOS apps & games do not support claiming through the Twitch iOS app at this time."

Also quoted from Twitch FaQ
So, for someone using iOS, they are now going to have to use PC/Mac Web Browser or an Android device.

So all non ios warframe accounts (pc/xbox/ps/switch) can’t claim drops from the ios twitch app anymore? 

is mobile web browser supported?

Edited by Korxil

So many questions about this.  If I’d known about this issue, I wouldn’t have downloaded the WF app on my phone and create an iOS ID for the game…

What happens if you are logged into twitch with a linked WF ID, which is different to the iOS ID?

This is a real pain as I often stream Twitch on my phone as my local hours are not convenient to be in front of a PC screen.

I think this is a “miss” by the WF team and it should have been highlighted before rolling out WF iOS.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RedDogUKpc said:

So many questions about this.  If I’d known about this issue, I wouldn’t have downloaded the WF app on my phone and create an iOS ID for the game…

What happens if you are logged into twitch with a linked WF ID, which is different to the iOS ID?

This is a real pain as I often stream Twitch on my phone as my local hours are not convenient to be in front of a PC screen.

I think this is a “miss” by the WF team and it should have been highlighted before rolling out WF iOS.

it doesn't matter if you play on the IOS version i think, even if you only play on pc or console claiming on IOS wont work and its not something WF team can do something about since its a problem only twitch can solve

• Like 3

I think you can still get drop progress for watching streams in the iOS app, you just can't claim them, but you can just claim the drops somewhere else - e.g. in the web browser.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, --N-- said:

I think you can still get drop progress for watching streams in the iOS app, you just can't claim them, but you can just claim the drops somewhere else - e.g. in the web browser.

Reading up on similar games where this is an issue - yes, it appears there's a flag set on the drops as "iOS Based Reward": https://dev.twitch.tv/docs/drops/#create-a-reward

• "If this reward is associated with an item that can be used within an iOS app or game, this field must be toggled to ON. This will hide the Drops campaign on iOS devices. However, viewers’ progress on iOS will still be tracked and they would be able to claim the reward on other platforms."

Progress will still count while viewing streams with drop campaigns, but may not show up and the drop is unclaimable on the app itself. Users will have to use any other browser to redeem them (even mobile ones probably work tbh, it's just the Twitch iOS app probably due to app store restrictions).

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the gist I'm getting from Twitch's dev documentation on reward creation.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RedDogUKpc said:

This has nothing to do with your iOS Warframe account. This is a restriction on Twitch's end for their own Twitch iOS App -- it was put into effect because Warframe is on iOS, but the platform of your actual Warframe account has no impact. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, --N-- said:

Full transparency, we are going to test this more thoroughly with Prime Time and update this PSA once confirmed. It seemed to be the case with some testing, but we don't want to promise that until we are 100% certain. 

• Like 5

I am impressed that it's possible to play Warframe on a phone at all, and I have a lot of respect to the tech team for making it happen. But I have no interest in playing on a phone, so I was previously just indifferent to the iOS app.

However, I have also claimed many if not all of my Warframe Twitch drops via the iOS app. So, this problem means that the mere existence of the iOS app is a vast reduction in convenience for me, even if I never use it. That is extremely frustrating.

I kind of would rather that you all hadn't made the app, if this was an unavoidable consequence. I know that's heartbreaking for all the people who put so much work into the app, and I'm sorry. This isn't their fault.

Twitch is more to blame here than DE; their policy is frankly incomprehensible and inane. However, I'm also curious - did no one at DE realize that this would be a problem before the app was released? If you knew in advance that this would be a problem, why did you still make the app? I feel like "Twitch drops won't work for anyone on iOS anymore" would be a significant concern.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Naroxas44 said:

Reading up on similar games where this is an issue - yes, it appears there's a flag set on the drops as "iOS Based Reward": https://dev.twitch.tv/docs/drops/#create-a-reward

• "If this reward is associated with an item that can be used within an iOS app or game, this field must be toggled to ON. This will hide the Drops campaign on iOS devices. However, viewers’ progress on iOS will still be tracked and they would be able to claim the reward on other platforms."

Progress will still count while viewing streams with drop campaigns, but may not show up and the drop is unclaimable on the app itself. Users will have to use any other browser to redeem them (even mobile ones probably work tbh, it's just the Twitch iOS app probably due to app store restrictions).

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the gist I'm getting from Twitch's dev documentation on reward creation.

I tried this with last week drops. Progress is still working, but you can’t claim them on any iOS device.

You also can’t claim them with a different browser on an iOS device. Tried it with safari and chrome. Once you load twich.tv you are told to open the iOS app. You can’t log in your twich account in a browser, at least those two. So you can still watch, but need to claim the items on a non-iOS device. 

• Like 1

I do not understand, why you having an app on my Iphone, Prevents me from earning drops by having the twitch stream open, on my iphone, while i'm playing on my pc.

You've said we can't earn drops from the twitch app, on iOS, but why? - What possible problem could there be? If i overload my smart device by trying to do two things at once surely thats on my own head? Are you trying to protect yourselves from some sort of PR blowback? Like.. you've removed a functionality, because why?

If the problem is just CLAIMING THE DROP, i can do that AFTER the stream has ended on my PC, but while im busy playing the game, or resting or cooking or doing anything else where i can't have the twitch stream open on my PC, or Home entertainment system/firestick/AppleTV Box maybe my PC is broken or something, why remove a functionality in its entirity just from Iphone users? So confused.

36 minutes ago, Seditious_Spyke said:

I do not understand, why you having an app on my Iphone, Prevents me from earning drops by having the twitch stream open, on my iphone, while i'm playing on my pc.

You've said we can't earn drops from the twitch app, on iOS, but why? - What possible problem could there be? If i overload my smart device by trying to do two things at once surely thats on my own head? Are you trying to protect yourselves from some sort of PR blowback? Like.. you've removed a functionality, because why?

If the problem is just CLAIMING THE DROP, i can do that AFTER the stream has ended on my PC, but while im busy playing the game, or resting or cooking or doing anything else where i can't have the twitch stream open on my PC, or Home entertainment system/firestick/AppleTV Box maybe my PC is broken or something, why remove a functionality in its entirity just from Iphone users? So confused.

There is no performance and technical reason going on here. This is 100% a Twitch policy thing, which likely only exists because of Apple's policies. If you're giving out a drop that can be used in an IOS app or game, you MUST enable a toggle that hides that drop in the Twitch IOS app. 

The reason this policy likely spawns from Apple restrictions is because no such toggle exists for android devices. Apple, for some asinine reason, likely considers the app to app exchange of getting Warframe items from the Twitch app then using them in the Warframe app as circumventing their purchasing policies. 

Also, very important. You are correct, it is only claiming the drop that is affected. You will still earn progress. The toggle hides the drop from the IOS Twitch app, but it does not stop the tracking. So you have to check somewhere else for your progress or to actually claim the item. 

Edited by Zetin2455
Clarification
  • Like 2

Is it confirmed if the iOS Based Reward flag for twitch drops is only for iOS exclusive apps, and not meant to be used for crossplay apps?

Isn’t a PC account is required to even play on iOS (or only for crossplay), wouldnt that make it a PC based game? What’s the definition of “iOS Based”?

Last Friday’s twitch drop did work on the iOS twitch app, this is 100% a policy restriction. 

Edited by Korxil

Last week I earned progress for watching Emission Tenno but could not claim it via the app, I logged in thru safari and went to my drops and was able to claim it that way. So it appears you can earn progress thru the app, open a browser on your iOS device and claim thru there. 

22 hours ago, TheDigitalGabeg said:

I am impressed that it's possible to play Warframe on a phone at all, and I have a lot of respect to the tech team for making it happen. But I have no interest in playing on a phone, so I was previously just indifferent to the iOS app.

However, I have also claimed many if not all of my Warframe Twitch drops via the iOS app. So, this problem means that the mere existence of the iOS app is a vast reduction in convenience for me, even if I never use it. That is extremely frustrating.

I kind of would rather that you all hadn't made the app, if this was an unavoidable consequence. I know that's heartbreaking for all the people who put so much work into the app, and I'm sorry. This isn't their fault.

Twitch is more to blame here than DE; their policy is frankly incomprehensible and inane. However, I'm also curious - did no one at DE realize that this would be a problem before the app was released? If you knew in advance that this would be a problem, why did you still make the app? I feel like "Twitch drops won't work for anyone on iOS anymore" would be a significant concern.

While it’s a bummer; I don’t think if they knew this would even be a speed bump in the iOS release. The inconvenience of not being able to claim free doo-dads without hoping on a pc or console is so small compared to the convenience and profit that the full game on iOS provides. 
Wishing they wouldn’t have made it is like wishing it wasn’t on ps5 because you only get certain drops if you have a psplus subscription. I mean, it’s not a perfect analogy but it’s up that alley. 

I am Playstation user, I never received any twitch drops after watch most of the devs streams live for 45 minutes-over a hour last . Haven't gotten anything. I have followed the new method of unlink and re linking still nothing. I have no idea what to do or who to contact. 

Ps. I'm not ios user 

Edited by (PSN)Verellium

1 hour ago, (PSN)Verellium said:

I have followed the new method of unlink and re linking still nothing. I have no idea what to do or who to contact.

If you've unlinked on both the Twitch side (from connections) and made sure from your Warframe user account page it's not linked, then relinked and it still didn't work, I'd reach out to support since they might be able to look into it further: https://digitalextremes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

It goes without saying too, I'd make sure you're logged into Twitch while watching whichever eligible stream - it should show you drop progress in real time as you watch and give you an option to "claim" on Twitch once it reaches 100%.

On 2024-02-27 at 9:02 AM, [DE]Taylor said:

Since Warframe is now officially an iOS game, those watching Warframe directory streams via the iOS Twitch App (ex: on an iPhone) will no longer be able to Claim Drops via their App. These viewers will still earn progress towards Twitch Drops Campaigns, but must claim their Drops outside of the iOS Twitch App. U

[...]

Important Clarifications - UPDATED FEB 28:

• Only viewers using the Twitch iOS App will not be able to earn claim Warframe Directory Twitch Drops
    • While you are unable to claim, progress is still earned on the Twitch iOS App. Viewers are then able to Claim these Drops on another device (PC web browser, etc.)
  • Players with an iOS Warframe account should be able to earn Twitch Drops if they view streams on a non-iOS device
    • Ex: a PC web browser, etc.
    • This restriction has nothing to do with what platform you play Warframe on, but rather what device you use to watch our Twitch streams. 

Hi Tenno,

After further testing with our WarframeInternational Stream today, we can confirm that iOS Twitch App viewers still earn Drops progress and are simply restricted from Claiming Drops on their App. Those who earn progress this way will be able to claim their Drop elsewhere, like a web browser, via the twitch.tv/inventory page. 

The PSA has been updated to reflect this!

• Like 4

Just a suggestion, you may also be able to redeem via an alternate browser like Chrome (on iOS). I opened the twitch progress link using Chrome (on my phone) and I can see my progress from watching. In the iOS app however it just says it’s not available. If you use safari, however, it always automatically opens the twitch iOS app. This might be another way to bypass this issue.