Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Focus Lenses need to go

0Midas0

I'm about to go through the process of investing in a new focus school, and looking at the sheer amount of warframes and weapons I have, I'm immediately reminded of the chore of having to swap out syndicate sigils every time I started leveling a new syndicate. I expect a lot of players don't even bother to apply lenses to everything and manage them optimally, because it is such a chore to do so. It would be really nice if this system was revised to just let is commit to a school and level that school without having to fiddle with modifying everything in our arsenal to do so.

Maybe turn the existing lenses into tokens you can hand in for a lump sum of focus in their respective school, and let us just pick a school to commit some percentage of our exp towards. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, 0Midas0 said:

I expect a lot of players don't even bother to apply lenses to everything

We don't because it is very bad strategy. You apply them to 2-3 good nuking frames and maybe 2-3 your best weapons. You farm focus in ESO or whatever missions you are doing until the daily cap and you are done for the day. You stop in no time because there is limited amount of focus required (and you also get plenty for Shards). Hell, nowdays you do not even need a single lens installed anywhere to hit the cap.

27 minutes ago, 0Midas0 said:

Maybe turn the existing lenses into tokens you can hand in for a lump sum of focus in their respective school, and let us just pick a school to commit some percentage of our exp towards. 

That's what the Eidolon Shards already do. 

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Focus#Eidolon_Shards

Edited by Zakkhar
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Zakkhar said:

We don't because it is very bad strategy. You apply them to 2-3 good nuking frames and maybe 2-3 your best weapons. You farm focus in ESO or whatever missions you are doing until the daily cap and you are done for the day. You stop in no time because there is limited amount of focus required (and you also get plenty for Shards). Hell, nowdays you do not even need a single lens installed anywhere to hit the cap.

That's what the Eidolon Shards already do. 

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Focus#Eidolon_Shards

It's not a 'bad strategy', it's just badly designed. You're basically arguing that you should only be going for focus when you're going to be specifically grinding for it, instead of getting it as you play normally. The only reason you even consider that in the first place is because of the impractical way lenses are implemented. If they weren't limited and didn't have to be manually put on every single item one at a time, people could just have them on and not be expected to actually go and grind for it on a specific mission with a specific loadout. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 0Midas0 said:

The only reason you even consider that in the first place is because of the impractical way lenses are implemented.

The main reason is that ESO is pretty convenient and fast way of getting focus (and a few relics on the side). Other option is Sleep Stealth farm.

It is like ranking up weapons/frames. You technically can do that while "playing normally" but it will take substantially longer.

Edited by Zakkhar

4 minutes ago, Zakkhar said:

The main reason is that ESO is pretty convenient and fast way of getting focus (and a few relics on the side). Other option is Sleep Stealth farm.

It is like ranking up weapons/frames. You technically can do that while "playing normally" but it will take substantially longer.

But you can still do it that way, and it doesn't require sticking a bunch of upgrades on all your stuff to make it work. With how annoying it is to put lenses on things, you're pushed towards dedicated farming techniques even more than you would be for MR/Rep leveling, and it's a dated, clumsy system. Even if they changed it to something like Syndicates where you set it and level it passively, there would still be more optimal ways to do it if you want to grind for it specifically, but you also wouldn't have to. With lenses it's impractical to level focus in general gameplay because it's a chore to set up, on top of any questions of what would be most efficient. It's an unnecessary extra layer of set-up and fiddling that really has no reason to exist. 

21 minutes ago, 0Midas0 said:

But you can still do it that way, and it doesn't require sticking a bunch of upgrades on all your stuff to make it work.

Just pick one good frame you gonna focus (sic!) on and you are golden. You can do your normal stuff, while focus just accumulates. Installing a lens on every of your aquired warframes is just dumb - you will not play with them all. It seems that doing this one small analysis and making this one small decision scares you so much, that you want to change whole system (and also certain connected systems like drop tables and trade). 

This is a grind shooter. We get gear, make decisions and grind more gear. It is not Raid: Shadow Legends, where stuff happens passively and you do not have to do anything.

Edited by Zakkhar

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Zakkhar said:

Just pick one good frame you gonna focus (sic!) on and you are golden. You can do your normal stuff, while focus just accumulates. Installing a lens on every of your aquired warframes is just dumb - you will not play with them all.

I'm aware of how it works. The point of bringing it up in this thread is that it's a bad way for it to work. You shouldn't have to 'focus' on one warframe, you shouldn't have to think it's dumb to want to play all your other warframes without having to weigh them against not gaining any focus, and you shouldn't have to need to manage some mishmash of lenses on different things.

It's an archaic system, pretty sure DE realizes that since they gave the burst of focus to the focus candies, and since they've updated stuff like syndicate farming, this is another old 'leveling' mechanic that really needs to be brought up to modern standards. 

Edited by 0Midas0

I dunno about grinding Focus these days but I'm amazed they never added the ability to remove lenses.

The whole focus pickup noisy thing over just passive gains was such a terrible idea. I'm so sick of hearing it.

• Like 1

I very much like the focus candie (especially now they added the burst to active school), it prevents me from being able to just sit in one spot and nuke forever if I want my treat. As for Lenses, I barely even see a point in applying them anymore since Thrax's give so much to whatever school you have active and Steel Circuit is super fun. Just a few rounds of that and I'm capped for the day.

I wouldn't mind if the Lenses went away if they had some other way to unlock the schools you didn't start with. At the same time, I don't see them as much of a problem, but that might just be because I'm fairly high already.

Edit: Oh, and Angels give to active school too.

Edited by Watermelon_Empress
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Watermelon_Empress said:

I very much like the focus candie (especially now they added the burst to active school), it prevents me from being able to just sit in one spot and nuke forever if I want my treat. As for Lenses, I barely even see a point in applying them anymore since Thrax's give so much to whatever school you have active and Steel Circuit is super fun. Just a few rounds of that and I'm capped for the day.

I wouldn't mind if the Lenses went away if they had some other way to unlock the schools you didn't start with. At the same time, I don't see them as much of a problem, but that might just be because I'm fairly high already.

Edit: Oh, and Angels give to active school too.

I feel like the obvious choice would be to just make it so that you automatically gain focus with whatever school you have currently selected, but some people might not like that. 

7 hours ago, 0Midas0 said:

I feel like the obvious choice would be to just make it so that you automatically gain focus with whatever school you have currently selected, but some people might not like that.

And how do you feel about reworking all systems that included Lenses so far - trade, droptables, content that is made viable by this mechanic etc. These systems are connected and depend on each other. You cannot feel to change one and just ignore others completely.

You keep comparing it to syndicate Sigils, where the systems are nowhere near the same or as intertwined (sigls are not tradable, droppable and there is no other system connected with them beside fashionframe. Only altenatives for farming Syndicate rep were medalions and limited amount of daily syndicate missions).

This has nothing to do with me liking this idea*. I have simply been pointing the flaws in your thinking and showing you why this idea (in the fledgling state it is now) cannot work as well as the current system.

As an alegory to current situatiion: Simply removing the Police will not solve the issues you have been having with it, it will just produce more issues.

Spoiler

*) i am alreeady maxed on my focus schools and could probably max 10 more trees with the focus I have accumulated, so there is no personal interest involved

Edited by Zakkhar

14 hours ago, 0Midas0 said:

yeah, I definitely would not like that, I am trying to get Focus to the schools I normally don't use, so only giving me to the one I have on is a big nono from me.

Agree. I would love to remove these things from warframes and weapons. DE changed the colors and icons of the conduits due to the mess and similarity with the demolisher marker, now we have this yellow focus marker in all the missions radars, focus Lenses need to go.

Le 30/03/2024 à 17:45, RyllusPurple a dit :

Try the circuit. It's much easier to get focus killing thrax and grabbing the powerup.

^This. 10 rounds of Steel Path circuit will guarantee cap out your daily focus without fail.

Posted (edited)
On 2024-03-28 at 10:28 PM, Zakkhar said:

And how do you feel about reworking all systems that included Lenses so far - trade, droptables, content that is made viable by this mechanic etc. These systems are connected and depend on each other. You cannot feel to change one and just ignore others completely.

You keep comparing it to syndicate Sigils, where the systems are nowhere near the same or as intertwined (sigls are not tradable, droppable and there is no other system connected with them beside fashionframe. Only altenatives for farming Syndicate rep were medalions and limited amount of daily syndicate missions).

This has nothing to do with me liking this idea*. I have simply been pointing the flaws in your thinking and showing you why this idea (in the fledgling state it is now) cannot work as well as the current system.

As an alegory to current situatiion: Simply removing the Police will not solve the issues you have been having with it, it will just produce more issues.

Reveal hidden contents

*) i am alreeady maxed on my focus schools and could probably max 10 more trees with the focus I have accumulated, so there is no personal interest involved

I'm not ignoring anything. None of those other systems necessarily need to change. Lenses can still show up in loot tables, that's why I said they could have another use. You even mentioned syndicate medallions, they could function exactly like that perfectly, which is what I already said in the OP. 

Edited by 0Midas0