Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Theoretical Dark Split-Sword rework concept

Hierarch777

I loved using the DSS a long time ago. In today's era of the game, it feels a bit lackluster in its gimmick. But I feel it could be much more than what it is.
The idea is to give it a form-switch function much like Incarnon weapons, with a few tweaks to play into its Heavy Blade + Dual Swords hybrid gimmick as well as a good incentive to perform the form-switch. Also, to be flexible enough to accommodate several potential builds and play styles instead of having a one-build-to-rule-them-all scenario.

Firstly, the Stances.
In order to accommodate a Stance mod for both Dual Sword mode an Heavy Blade mode, it'd need one Stance slot for each form. This means you could have 80 Mod capacity when giving the slots matching polarities and a Catalyst.

Next up, the form-switch.
Thanks to newer melee weapons having overrides for Heavy Attacks and certain combo strings, this brings me to the form-switch function itself. It would involve two different Heavy Attacks with a prerequisite of at least 2X Combo Counter for both of them (at no Counter, you perform regular Heavies appropriate to the weapon class).
As for the actual Switch-attacks:
Heavy Blade: Rip both handles apart, releasing a medium-range radial explosion that deals Radiation damage
Dual Swords: Fuse both handles together and perform a powerful forward slash, releasing a long-range swordwave that deals Radiation damage.

You could opt for a pure Light or Corrupt Charge Heavy build, both are valid choices. But I'm meaning to have the theoretical weapon incentivise a combo count chance + Heavy attack build for maximum burst damage.

Lastly, the pros and cons of the 2 forms.
Heavy Blade:
Pros: 100% follow-through, higher range, status chance and damage
Cons: Lower attack speed and crit stats

Dual Swords:
Pros: Higher attack speed, blocking angle and crit stats
Cons: Lower range, Follow-through damage and status chance

Now I understand that this might be a very code-heavy weapon to design and implement, but how often does a weapon arrive bug-free anyway? :D
Lemme know your thoughts on this concept. Cheers.

• Like 3

I’ve wanted something like this since the weapon was introduced. I’d be happy if they just let you form switch without the extra stuff you suggested- but they would certainly add fun to it. I like the idea of some extra effects on transformation, but would love to be able to swap at will. Maybe with a sliding or second heavy attack, but without the powered up attack, and just a quick switch instead. 
As is it is right now, it’s basically just 2 different weapons that share a weapon slot, polarities, and upgrades.

i will also say, if they do the coding for this weapon, other melees could benefit from this kind of system as well- be it options to swap between two stances of the same weapon type, or weapons where it makes sense using two separate stances (dual dagger transitioning to a single one, same thing for dual swords, using a nikana’s sheath as a second blunt weapon to make it into a dual nikana, or the other way around.). I also started a thread about how logically, with a single sword and a parazon, a warframe should be able to use a single sword like a blade and whip type weapon. If that were added, it could use this stance swap system as well. 

While the flexibility would make dual melees more versatile, I’d say that can always be mitigated by adding a dual wield single sidearm with single melee system like they did with glaives. With that in mind I can think of some situations where it could be nice to switch from using 2 secondaries (twin or ak-weapon) to a single one, which would likely function similarly (albeit harder to implement keybind wise). 

In summary, I’d love to see this, and any other additions that allow Tenno to be flexible with the gear they bring into a mission. 

Edited by voltocitygel
Added more stuff because why not